An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

3rd Hand Smoking

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by gracer, Apr 28, 2015.

1. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Did you know that there is such a thing as 3rd hand smoke? It happens when a person who smoked has already left a place. The fume stays for a while in the place where a person smoked and when another person arrives at that place, he/she experiences 3rd hand smoke. This especially happens when an ash tray is present.

It may not be as harmful as 1st and 2nd hand smoking but it can still put someone's health at risk.
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Anything to do with cigarettes and smoking will be a health risk. I'm not sure that 3rd hand smoking though will present too much of a major problem other than the stale smell.
    gracer likes this.
  3. Plus

Plus Member

I agree with you there. Although it can be bothersome to some people I think it's just more of a nuisance to some than a big health risk at that point such as cholesterol in a fast food item.
    gracer likes this.
  4. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I had never actually heard of 3rd hand smoke, and only 2nd hand smoke. Thank you for enlightening me on the subject.
    gracer likes this.
  5. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

It seems like it's just the same thing as second hand smoke really. It's all smoke that came from a secondary source. Someone else smoked, the smoke lingers or moves, and someone else inhales it. If 3rd degree smoke is a thing, what's the qualification to make it 3rd hand? How long after the person leaves the area is it considered 2nd and then 3rd? It seems kind of like the same thing.
    gracer likes this.
  6. Pafpartner

Pafpartner Member

Smoking kills :confused:. The health effects of smoking have been well documented and include respiratory and cardiovascular disease, a variety of mouth, throat, and lung cancers, and fertility problems. It's basically impossible to ignore this fact no matter where you live. But the thing that makes smoking so insidious is that because nicotine is addictive, people often smoke for decades if not the rest of their lives. Continuous smoking leads to progressively worse damage to various parts of the body and increasingly higher risks of certain illnesses. This is a simple, obvious fact about smoking, but it has very important ramifications for smokers and those who want to beat smoking.
    gracer likes this.
  7. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I don't know what the health effects would be, but I have to say as an ex-smoker, the smell of stale cigarettes makes me nauseous these days. I refuse to let anyone I know smoke in my house or car - and that's funny because I used to smoke in my car all the time. I kind of got used to that stale smell back then, so it's interesting that it makes me feel so ill these days.
    gracer likes this.
  8. vikkiwinters

vikkiwinters Member

That sounds a bit far-fetched to me, have you got some information on this that you could link?

In my understanding, even second hand smoke isn't all that harmful unless it's in fairly large quantities within a confined space
  9. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

It's second hand smoke. As far as I know there is no instance of third hand smoke.
  10. gracer

I haven't tried looking into it through the web but I have read this in a Nursing Journal. I used to teach at a nursing school and it was an article shared by one of my students when we were having our routine journal discussions. I myself was surprised to learn about that but it was an additional information for me.
  11. rightct

rightct Community Champion

You are pretty much exposed to high-risks if you interfere with cigarette smoke, regardless of how much you actually inhale. In the end, trust me, it doesn't matter. Although I agree that there's a notable difference between smoking 2 packs a day and just staying in a smoking place and be an undeliberate passive smoker.
    gracer likes this.
  12. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Well, there are articles about third-hand smoke on reputable sites, so there you go. I do know that those leftover fumes annoy me a lot. Or when they stick to someone’s clothing, but is that still more second-hand? Either way, I don’t let people smoke in my living spaces or my car either. Potentially detrimental effects on health are enough of a reason for me, but that smell… no thank you, I don't need that lingering anywhere I spend a lot of time.
    gracer likes this.
  13. kianthras

kianthras Member

I had honestly never heard of 3rd hand smoking, but after hearing about it I can definitely say that I've experienced it. My mother is a smoker, but is kind enough to confine her habit to the garage that is attached to the house. While I don't smell the smoke anymore, my partner can smell the smoke on my clothes after I've been working in the garage. It really does permeate everything, and I can't imagine the health risks of wearing that smoke every day.
    gracer likes this.
  14. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I don't know the scientific merits of this but as a smoker myself I can say that the ash and smell left by cigarettes in a room can make it really uncomfortable to breathe. It's especially true when the room is carpeted so the ash tends to cling onto the rug. This is why if you are living with someone it's still much better to just smoke outside.
    CallipygianGamine and gracer like this.
  15. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Uhm, I didn't know there was a name for such a thing or that it was even recognized as something harmful. Good to know. I had noticed that thing about the fume, I thought it was very annoying, but I didn't think it could be so harmful. Really good to know!
    gracer likes this.
  16. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I would say that the dangers of damaging your health are very diminished if smoking has ceased in a place, and all you have to contend with is a stinking ashtray. The fumes would have left the place, but naturally the smell hangs around for quite some time. I have often felt extremely disgusted in places where people had been smoking, mainly because I didn't and don't understand why people have to smoke indoors. Everything gets polluted by the awful odor and negative energy of cigarette smoke. Perhaps that's what really affects your health. Many illnesses start in the mind...
    gracer likes this.
  17. gracer

I guess most of us hate the lingering smell of cigarette fumes in a particular place and in our clothes. The smell is even more annoying than when someone is actually smoking in front of you. It has this "icky" scent that makes you want to throw up. That's how I feel when I smell it. I have been a smoker before and I would sometimes get embarrassed when people could smell the lingering scent of smoke on my clothes. It's one thing that I'd never want to experience ever again.