An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

4 questions to find out if you have an alcohol problem

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by serpes, Apr 16, 2015.

1. serpes

serpes Member

Experts say that an alcohol problem could be easy or very hard to spot. So they created 4 questions to help people. These are:

1. Have you ever thought that you should drink less (alcohol)?

2. Does it happen that other people criticize you for drinking?

3. Have you ever felt guilty about drinking?

4. Have you ever felt the need to drink in the morning to calm your nerves or to get rid of a hangover?
  2. Se7en

Se7en Active Contributor

Yes. No. Yes. Yes.
    Although I answered 3/4 of questions with yes, I don't have alcohol problem :D
  3. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

No, yes, no, yes

I never really believed it was an issue until I was going to lose everybody I knew over it
  4. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Earlier on in my life (late teens, early 20's) I definitely think I had a problem with alcohol. Nowadays I only have a drink on the odd occasion. I just hung around with the wrong crowd...it was sadly like a badge of honor being drunk. It's amazing what peer pressure does to a person, or trying to fit in.

With age comes experience, I guess, and now I'm a no to all of those questions. I do still harbor some guilt about how much I drank in the past, but these days I have a single drink and then that's it. And on the very rare occasion too.
  5. Callad24

Callad24 Member

I don't see how these questions can pin to a drinking problem. The fourth question maybe but the other three I'm pretty sure 90% of the world could say yes to those.
    I think you know you have a problem if you get intoxicated more than five times in a week. Alcohol is then guaranteed to mess up your brain and system.
  6. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think those are good questions to ask, and also it is if you are going on the way to alcoholism and can make some changes to happen before it reaches that stage. I reckon, that there could be more questions to ask and also it will be interesting to see what others ones are out there as well. I think it will be, good to have people question themselves and also ask these questions when they think of drinking.
  7. XiaoDre

XiaoDre Active Contributor

Those are some interesting questions. I have considered drinking less because I drink a lot during the week. I thought about only drinking on the weekends. I will admit that I drink hard on the weekends and if I drink during the week, I may have a beer or two. People do criticize me about my drinking only because of my past behavior when I got drunk. I would fight, argue, and break things. I was so angry back then. I still am kind of angry, but nothing like I used to be. I have had times when I felt guilty about drinking. I would take things to the extreme and they were not that serious. Alcohol will conflict with emotions and I try not to let them conflict with mine anymore. I was told that you should drink a beer in the morning to get rid a hangover. I tried it and it did not work for me because I only want food. I think I may have a bit of an alcohol problem.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While the questions are a good start, for me there was only 1 question that I needed to answer.

Do I need to cut down or stop drinking?

I think that a the only question you need to ask yourself. I'd you answer yes then obviously you must think you have a problem to begin with.
  9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

1. No
    2. No
    3. No
    4. No

I guess I don't have alcohol problems anymore. :)
  10. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

1. yes:
    2. yes
    3. yes
    4. no
    I've never felt the need to drink in the morning. Just the thought of that makes me feel sick. That is hardcore if I did that.
  11. xSentaru

xSentaru Active Contributor

1. Yes
    2. No, not really.
    3. No.
    4. No.

Well, I aleardy know I have a alcohol problem and I'm actively trying to get rid of it by going less to the pub and having less drinks. I'm confident I can do this by myself. :)
  12. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

I could never drink in the morning. It's weird how I can only drink in the cover of night. It's like I know it's shameful and I'm trying to hide from it.
  13. henry

henry Community Champion

The first three questions are spot on with me, but not number four. I never want to drink while I'm hungover. I'm not saying I haven't done it, but I rarely have. I really have to wait until I get well enough to have a drink. Does this mean I'm a semi- alcoholic?
  14. xSentaru

xSentaru Active Contributor

No mate, there's nothing to be ashamed in drinking, whether is night or day. It's your own choice after all! :)
  15. pwarbi

It's interesting what people say about drinking during the day, a lot of people, including myself feel there's some sort of stigma attached to it, like if you have a drink during the day then you've obviously got a problem but I don't think that's always the case.
  16. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

I think there's a difference between "needing a drink in the morning to calm nerves, etc" and "having a drink in the morning period."

What I mean is... some people have mimosas at breakfast time, for example, and it's perfectly time. Or hey, on a Saturday when you're at home and not working, it might be fine to have some drinks during the day. That's different than feeling like you NEED a drink or that it's going to be a solution to a current problem.
  17. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

It is

1. Yes
    2. No
    3. Yes
    4. No

I think the only reason I have ever felt guilty for drinking is that I do not want my kids to think there is an issue. I only have 1-2 drinks a day on the days I do drink, but my kids have seen their grandma drink a ton, so I don't want them to think I am heading down the same path. I have never craved a drink in the morning, nor have I ever drank to relieve a hangover. It has been a long time since I have suffered a hangover and I remember that the last thing I even wanted to do was look at booze.
  18. rightct

rightct Community Champion

1. No, not really, but I do feel sometimes a little bit bad about drinking.
    2. No.
    3. Yes, like I've said in the first answer.
    4. Yes.

I know I have a problem, although not that serious. I want to make sure it doesn't evolve to a bigger phase though.
  19. pwarbi

I think that if you have to answer any question regarding if you think you have a problem, then you probably DO have a problem.
    Rosyrain likes this.
  20. aimeep80

aimeep80 Senior Contributor

Thankfully I can answer no to every one of these and I'm very sad for those who answer yes to them. My husband would be one that would answer yes to all of the questions and it sucks so bad. Doesn't suck enough for him to get sober again though..but maybe he will decide to before he becomes worse. That's my hope anyway.