An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

4 year soberversary!

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by lonewolves, Aug 19, 2018.

1. lonewolves

lonewolves Community Champion

August 17th, 2014, was the last night I had a drink. I am so completely shocked and proud of myself for making it this long without even a sip.
    -
    Like most addicts, I have serious self-hatred issues, and somehow manage to undermine all of my accomplishments, BUT NOT THIS TIME!! I am so proud of myself, and won’t allow my demons to ruin this for me.
    -
    Being alcohol-free has not always been easy, but with a lot commitment it is definitely possible. Even when those around you may never understand! These last few years I have been so open about being a non-drinker. So much so that I have friends who make fun of me for one of my catchphrases being “I don’t drink”. I say that phrase so often that people must get annoyed, BUT I DON’T CARE! I just worked at a grocery store for almost 2 years, and even though I have said my catchphrase repetitively, my bosses still got me a bottle of wine for Christmas last year. I don’t know where I’m going with this post, but I’m just happy.
    -
  2. True concern

True concern Community Champion

HAPPY SOBERVERSARY!!!!!!I AM SO PROUD OF YOU :):)o_Oo_O:):):D:pYAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    deanokat, Dominica and lonewolves like this.
  3. True concern

I'm happy now today too just because your so happy,I know that doesn't make sense but its the truth and like you "Today"is 7 month's and though I don't have a catchphrase,I may have to borrow yours because 7 month's today "I don't drink either"
    deanokat and lonewolves like this.
  4. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

Happy Soberversary! That's wonderful and I'm so proud of you! I bet it DOES feel good! Being a non-drinker is something to be proud of...for sure!! Thank you for sharing your journey here with us! <3
    True concern and deanokat like this.
  5. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@lonewolves... Big kudos and congratulations to you on your 4 years of sobriety!!! That's a FABULOUS accomplishment and I'm really proud of you!!

@True concern... Congrats to you on your 7 months!!! I'm super proud of you, too!!!

You're both an inspiration for others here in this community!!! :)
    lonewolves and True concern like this.
  6. Cametobelieve0202

Cametobelieve0202 Community Champion

That’s just wonderful! Congratulations! I’m sure you’ve posted your story on here before but I’d like to hear it! We have been sober almost the same amount of time. And it sounds like your drug of choice was alcohol. Am I right? It would seem we have a lot in common. Anyway if you want to share your story with me I’d love to hear it!!
    lonewolves and deanokat like this.
  7. lonewolves

Sometime this weekend I will sit down and write it out! I did it once on here, but I have no idea where it would be :). Is your story somewhere on here as well?
  8. Cametobelieve0202

Cametobelieve0202 Community Champion

I’m sure it is somewhere but same as you I would have no idea where. I’ve been going posting relatively regularly on here since February so it’s probably buried way back. I think you’re the person I commented on a few months back that we have a lot in common. Same age, same drug of choice, same amount of time sober both had an ill parent. Anyway yeah if you’ve got time soon I’d be excited to hear it! I know ALOT of addicts/alcoholics but very few with that many similarities.
    Dominica and True concern like this.
  9. deanokat

10. True concern

@lonewolves I miss you. I hope and pray your doing well,also I hope your A.D.H.D.is being controlled with a medicine that work's for you as I remember you were having a tough time getting the name brand stuff for awhile.Take Care Phantom, hope to hear from you soon
    Dominica and deanokat like this.
  11. deanokat

I miss you, too, @lonewolves. If you have a chance, please check in with us and let us know how you're doing. We're here for you always, no matter what.
  12. lonewolves

Hi! I’m back! We bought our first home but had an Internet issue for the first month and a half so my online time was very limited. I hope you all are well! I’ve still managed to stay sober from everything but weed, which is wonderful and I’m proud of myself and all, but still a daily struggle of guilt and anguish from that addiction. My lungs hurt. My anxiety is super high. I just want to switch from smoking to vaping my weed and I can’t even do that for one day. Feeling hopeless but won’t give up trying.
    Dominica likes this.
  13. deanokat

Welcome back, @lonewolves. And congrats on buying your first home! That's wonderful!

It's good that you're still sober from everything but weed. I'm proud of you for that. I'm also sorry your lungs are hurting. Can I ask why you struggle with switching from smoking to vaping? (I hope that's not a dumb question. I just want to understand.)

Try not to feel hopeless, because I believe there is always hope. And definitely don't give up trying.

We're still here for you anytime you need us. :)
  14. True concern

Don't be so hard on yourself, there is always hope:).Smoking weed is definitely the lesser of the drug demons out there and it's nothing to feel shame over but I understand the goal of complete sobriety and it will come just never stop trying o_O,congrats on your first home and I like your take on your future..You obviously have high hopes(No Pune intended)because you said "We bought our FIRST HOME"So that tells me you are expecting to own more than one,or at least that's how it sounds in my head when I read it and that is great,buy as many as you can:confused: lol I love these damn emojis:eek:
    Dominica and deanokat like this.
  15. lonewolves

Even though I rarely get “stoned” from smoking weed, it is even less with vaping, so it makes my addiction monster scream that it’s not enough.

Maybe we will own another house one day, but the reason why I felt I should state it was our first is because life is very different when you own a home for the first time. Everything changes. You are forced to constantly think about the future if you want to make it a good investment. I’m learning textbooks full of new information about owning a home and taking care of it. It’s just such a huge life change in comparison to your second home, but then again, I haven’t owned my second home yet!
    deanokat, Dominica and True concern like this.
  16. True concern

You got this,that house is lucky to have you!:confused::)
    deanokat and Dominica like this.
  17. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@lonewolves I'm super glad to hear that you want to take care of your home. :)

Hope you have a great day!
    deanokat and True concern like this.