An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

8/30/15

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Wordsmith75, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Wordsmith75

Wordsmith75 Member

Having a hard time 2nd day in a row. My AV notices all instances of people enjoying a glass of wine (ads on TV, Facebook posts, articles in magazines...) and nudges me to just say the heck with it. Why shouldn't you be like everyone else and enjoy a glass of wine with your dinner? Then it makes me feel sorry for myself. Constantly. Ugh!
  2. norms options

norms options Active Contributor

Hang in there and stay strong. There is nothing to feel sorry for yourself for, you should feel proud of yourself for working so hard to have a better life. Also, "everyone else" does not have a glass of wine with dinner. It just seems that way because you want one and you are focusing on that information. Find something else to focus on--do you have a hobby or some type of work that you enjoy when you are home??
  3. L_B

L_B Community Champion

That is great advice norms. You have to find something else to keep your mind busy and focus on something else. Not everybody has a glass of wine with dinner. The ads just make things appear that way so tbey can sell more wine. Hang in there. You got this!
  4. Jamesbonner

Jamesbonner Active Contributor

keep it up !! it doesn't matter what people do, every one lives his life and try to keep his good health, wine isn't that good as it looks like, you are lucky and you are in the right way to become better person in all sides ! so good job my friend and please keep updating us :)
  5. juno

juno Community Champion

It is tough, but remember that you are no longer like everyone else, you have a goal. Also, everyone else is not enjoying a glass of wine, they are commercials. Average people don' usually drink with dinner every night. So, don't feel bad. You are doing what normal people do and you are just fine.
  6. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

Fight it man, its not worth it I know it is hard but it is better and you are making a good choice in your life to turn around and make a better you.
  7. henry

henry Community Champion

Just try to avoid all those things. Drinking because everyone else does is a very poor excuse for drinking. But there are many other ways to try and fit in. For example, instead of bringing alcohol to a party, bring the music. That's always a good and easy way to fit in. You just have to find out what type of music most people like and get that. You can also keep your mind busy as the party DJ.
  8. misskrystal1982

misskrystal1982 Active Contributor

Just fight those thoughts. Anyone that tries to quit anything has those, and they lie! You do not need it and everyone does not do it. Keep your head held high and be proud of your choice to quit.

Stay strong and make sure you come to the forum and post if you have any more urges.
  9. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Hang in there..don't give in! It is just a passing thought and you will get through it. You know not everybody has a glass of wine with dinner. It just appears that way because you are aware of it and you notice every time it comes up. I am glad you choose to come here and post. That was a great move!! Stay strong! You got this!
  10. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Believe me, you aren't missing out on a thing. You know, deep down, that this is just an advertising campaign. They want you to buy into this ridiculous idea that we're all drinking wine with our meals. It just isn't true. Most of us have water.

Now, @Wordsmith75, you're not the type of person who usually gets taken in by ads are you? You're not that gullible to believe everything you see on social media either and you certainly wouldn't usually let some unrealistic advertising campaign get the better of you, would you? So don't let this get the better of you either. By buying that wine, you are letting the advertisers control your behavior. Don't let them!