An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

A bit of my truth

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by True concern, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Dominica

Dominica Recovery Advocate @ Moving Beyond Codependency Community Listener

@Onceaddicted77 i tend to like your philosophical ramblings. i agree we can learn valuable lessons in and through it all. living life as a human is.... interesting to say the least. i think i should have been some sort of scientist ;) always trying to figure things out.
  2. Onceaddicted77

Onceaddicted77 Spam fighting Moderator & Realist Community Listener

Hehe thank you @Dominica Your a awesome human. Thank you for coming and spending time with us. That's awesome your always trying to figure things out. Life without challenge gets a bit boring sometimes.
  3. cheffy

cheffy Community Champion

Well, said! Ying and Yang, true and false, all these kinds of things where you can't know one unless you know the other. This is a very important thing, you know? You have to be able to distinguish between them if your life is going to have any kind of meaning. If you only embrace one side you can't appreciate what it is doing for you, or to you, or whatever. I believe this is the reason Jesus, who could see it all, was crucified. That's what happens when people that only know one side win. Jesus knew what was happening and wanted to give us a path to follow, so we would know what is good and what is bad. Experiencing that crucifixion and then embracing God's way would lead to a beautiful way to live your life.
  4. cheffy

Before I started my slow downward spiral and had to detox from Oxy I had always held that sleep was my refuge - anything bad I would deal with while sleeping. I've never ever had a nightmare (except when I was awake - lots of them when I was awake :) ) and so I was always able to look forward to sleeping. Then when I started detoxing, I couldn't sleep at all, almost like trying to get to sleep became a nightmare. So sleep was no longer my refuge. Now that I'm fairly stable, sleep has once again become a refuge. Starting at about 6pm each day, I look forward to sleep as just one more of my things I can look forward to (right along with Pecan Sandies & real whipped cream). Knowing I can sleep really gives me a lot of comfort. So hang in there and look forward to the day you can start sleeping well again. That may give you a good incentive to keep removing those substances, and continue forward without so much fear of relapse.
  5. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@cheffy... You put whipped cream on the Pecan Sandies? That sounds amazing! I'll have to try it! :D
    Dominica and cheffy like this.
  6. deanokat

@Dominica... It's never too late!!!!!
    Dominica, Onceaddicted77 and cheffy like this.
  7. cheffy

pecan sandie_n.jpg :)
  8. Joshstillclean

Joshstillclean Stupidity Exists - Fact.

Ya'll pecan pie with vanilla ice cream has that beat anyday. However...i didn't say i wasn't gonna run up to Dollar General and get the stuff to try it with tonight.
    Dominica, Onceaddicted77 and cheffy like this.
  9. cheffy

I have to admit I have a weakness for pecan pie - or pecan tort as my mom would make it. ;)
    Dominica and Onceaddicted77 like this.
  10. cheffy

That's tor
    Ooops, I meant torte, not tort. Don't want to have a bunch of lawyers involved...
    DoxyMom and Onceaddicted77 like this.
  11. Joshstillclean

that tree that fell on my house was a pecan tree.
    We used to sell our pecans now we just let the squirrels have them.
    And the neighbors, and whoever else wants to bring out a bucket. That tree alone that fell usually put out about 80 to 120 pounds. and it was probably one of the oldest pecan trees out here. I think this year we are going to have a realy good fig harvest.
    Fig preserves anyone? That's my weekness.
  12. Joshstillclean

This year the figs I can smell from the house and they aren't even ripe yet. Last year we had an amazing squash crop, and the figs and grapes did not much at all. This year it's the opposite. The muscadine vines have grown a good 2 feet i bet. and the figs i've never seen so this good. I just hope when the pecan trees start getting weight o them grom the pecans the oothers don't break.
    a few limbs are always gonna break but what happened to that tree has never happened before.
  13. Joshstillclean

isn't a torte like a mini pie? So you could then make a fig torte if you wanted?
    cheffy likes this.
  14. Joshstillclean

@Onceaddicted77 I'm talking to a guy in the heroin forum and he could probably use your input. hes asking about subs
    Onceaddicted77 and cheffy like this.
  15. cheffy

A torte is more of a layered pie made with whipped cream as the last layer. My mom's were a basic pecan pie with a top layer of whipped cream and dark chocolate shavings spread over the top. There was something different in the crust to make it soft and pliable but I can't remember what that was. You could easily adapt that to be a fig torte - that would really be good.
  16. Onceaddicted77

Onceaddicted77 Spam fighting Moderator & Realist Community Listener

That's beautiful @cheffy I believe your right. The evil in men's hearts become to much and instead of destroying us all again he sent Jesus to restore the balance this time. I want to believe there are more good people in the world now but I dont know.
    cheffy and deanokat like this.
  17. Dominica

Dominica Recovery Advocate @ Moving Beyond Codependency Community Listener

Joshstillclean and cheffy like this.
  18. deanokat

I think the only time I've ever had figs are when they've been inside Fig Newtons. Am I missing something?
    cheffy and Dominica like this.
  19. Joshstillclean

A lot. Not much beats a fresh fig picked right off the tree.
    It's the difference between a peach out of a can and a peach you pick off the limb. There's no comparrison.
    deanokat, cheffy and Dominica like this.
  20. DoxyMom

DoxyMom Community Champion

Being from California I have eaten fresh figs and dates.