An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

A buzz from ibuprofen?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Sparkster, Feb 9, 2015.

1. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

This is new to me. I never thought ibuprofen could give people a buzz. Although I'm not that surprised either. If this keeps up they will start putting this medicine behind the counters at stores like they do medicines that contain pseudoephedrine.
  2. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

You are right, it is not possible for it to give a buzz , the placebo effect could be right, I once went to an after hour bar and I bought a drink, I tell you I felt like I was getting real drunk, but when the lights came on when I looked at my drink it was a non-alchoholic drink, yet I was high, that is why I believe in placebo effect.
  3. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

The Placebo effect requires a belief and an expectation that the event will happen. But I wasn't believing or expecting it to happen at all, I was surprised when it did. Therefore it couldn't have been the Placebo effect. I am also not particularly susceptible to the Placebo effect or many other forms of suggestion, as I am already aware of them and have learned all about them as part of my psychological and psychiatric studies.
  4. vi0let

vi0let Member

I have never heard of anything of that sort. But I recently read about a guy who would get drunk off eating carbohydrates. So who knows, really. Bodies are strange things and anything can affect people differently.
    I personally can't take gravol because it gives me a strange buzz like feeling and makes my anxiety shoot off the charts.
    As I see mentioned previously though, headaches can bring on a weird variety of symptoms itself. So it was probably just a combination of it all.
  5. Sparkster

Getting drunk off carbohydrates eh? Now that's a weird one! I wonder how that would work. You're right though, different substances affect different people differently. I knew a guy years ago who couldn't drink because he was allergic to alcohol.
  6. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

Well, Ibuprofen is a Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug (NSAID). It's actually used for inflammatory and/or painful conditions. But Ibuprofen producing psychosomatic manifestations is weird. You've not made it clear if you had doped it with alcohol or any other intoxicating agent. However, any drug can produce undesired side-effects. If it affects your life badly, you would do well to consult your physician.
  7. fagoot1

fagoot1 Member

I'm not sure if that's true or not but I had a Toothache and had to take it for like 3 days. It really did relieve the pain but instead of a buzz, I felt light headed and kinda distorted. I know that sounds like a buzz but that was more annoying than enjoble.
  8. Carmilla

Carmilla Active Contributor

I take ibuprofen sometimes for headaches but I have never experienced a buzz. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention and there was one, though? I don't think it's substantial though. Maybe it effects different people differently.
  9. There has been recent studies showing that Paracetamol has an effect that lowers the emotional response people get from a number of stimuli. It is possible that Ibuprofen has a similar effect. In effect this could lead to addiction if someone has unpleasant extremes of emotions. However, this I would not describe this as a 'buzz'..
  10. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I don't think I've ever experienced a buzz from ibuprofen. Usually, I take ibuprofen if I feel a migraine coming on - I get them fairly regularly, and if I take a couple of ibuprofen it tends to keep them at bay, or at least minimize the symptoms. But as for any buzz, I can't say I've ever felt anything like that from ibuprofen. I've always just taken the prescribed dosage and never gone over it.
  11. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I have never received a buzz from Ibuprofen, but I have had relieved headaches. Turn up? haha. No but that sounds like that makes sense. I would talk to your doctor about it to get his opinion on it.
  12. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Really? You need to eat with that stuff. Its not really for a headache. Tylenol is more for headaches. I've ditched all of this stuff. Ibuprofen if you don't eat with it can chew a hole in your stomach. Maybe that's the buzz. I'm just kidding. Seriously it will give you an ulcer. Says it right on the pamphlet.
    Headaches generally have sources. You don't need the pills for a headache. So many different reasons that one can get a headache. Its an indicator that something is wrong. Fumes, dehydration, detox, MSG, ate the wrong thing, or whatever.
  13. Sparkster

That description is not too far off from the buzz that I experienced. It was quite mild. I certainly wasn't flying high or anything. Just light-headed and a bit buzzy but a little more than comfortably so.

The strange thing is that I have taken Ibuprofen many times before but have never experienced feeling like this from it before. It wasn't a higher dosage or anything either. I'm pretty sure it was the lowest dose you can get.

Whilst you are technically correct and Ibuprofen is indeed an anti-inflammatory and not an analgesic, it does say on the packet and on the accompanying leaflet that they can be taken to relieve headaches, even though headaches are rarely caused by inflammation. As far as I am aware, most of them are caused by dehydration or lack of sleep. It's actually very rare that I take any sort of pills because I don't like relying on them too much. I do, however, always make sure I eat food before taking any kind of pill. What I find strange is that it says on the packet they can be used for headaches yet there are doctors out there who will tell you to never ever take Ibuprofen for a headache! There is also research, however, which shows that taking one Ibuprofen pill each day even if you don't need it can significantly extend your lifespan!
  14. PingPongCall

PingPongCall Active Contributor

That's insane, I know a lot of ways to get high but this doesn't seem like a thing that should be happening to anyone. It's a strange thing when common medicine becomes a problem for people.
  15. Joyner

Joyner Member

Be careful with ibuprofen because it has been shown to raise blood pressure in some individuals. It is a restricted substance if you are already taking any type of blood pressure or circulation medicine. I think ibuprofen is a rather harsh drug for what it is. The main thing I see it recommended for is swelling. I have an ankle injury and I'm often forced to take it whether I want to or not. It's not the sort of thing I think you should become dependent on obviously, since it seems like it'd be pretty hard on your liver.
  16. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

I have never experienced any type of buzz or head rush from ibuprofen and i am actually thankful for that.
  17. PingPongCall

PingPongCall Active Contributor

Again, I don't think that this is something that's possible.
  18. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I was just prescribed ibuprofen for some pain I was experiencing. I have never felt any type of buzz before. Was the pills a name brand or generic? There might be an ingredient in the pill you are having an reaction to.
  19. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

Well, Ibuprofen is a pain killer and is known to be addictive. It doesn't have a psychadelic effect, but it does cause "relief". I know, my friend has an addiction to painkillers, alongwith a host of other things. And I also know of an aunt who is addicted to Diclophenac (i hope I am spelling that right) and Ibuprofen. She takes Diclophenac almost everyday!

So, please be careful about this stuff.
  20. littlemouse

littlemouse Member

From personal experience I almost always have a slight "buzzing" feeling whenever a headache has been relieved. Whether I use lavender oil or ibuprofen, I get a light headed sensation when the headache has receded. I think maybe it's the absence of pain that's making you feel that way. If you think about it, it makes sense. You're going to feel really good after compared to how you felt while you had the headache. Those are just my two cents.