An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

A Choice or Caving In To Pressure

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Rainman, May 19, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

While peer pressure can be given as a reason why kids may end up getting addicted to drugs can others who know better use "pressure" use give that as the reason why they started using drugs?

I've heard of people who get dragged into a bar by co-workers and though they don't like alcohol that much, they find themselves caving in to demands that they should have a taste, a little sip, etc. And they choose, in order to hang out with their "friends" to acquire the habit.

Just wondering . . . is it true that most drug addicts, especially alcoholics are pressured into becoming drug addicts?
  2. d4rk3n

d4rk3n Active Contributor

I was one of the 'victims' of peer pressure, you can say. I used to be sober before, until a friend of mine forced me to 'try a sip'. I did say no at first, but to be honest, I was quite intrigued about it. I wanted to try it.

I guess peer pressure is a 'driving force', but in the end if you stand strong, you won't give in to your addiction. I was weak and I couldn't fight it.
  3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I have also been influenced by my friends to drink alcohol, but I am not really blaming them for it. I knew I had a choice, and I chose to take a sip and not to be a party-pooper. But right now, I have already managed to say "no" every time one of my friends offer me a bottle, and I am real happy that they are now able to understand my preferences.
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Peer pressure is often the cause of people using a substance for the first time. That was the case with me aswell, I wanted to fit in, and while I wasn't that bothered about what the substance would actually do to me, I was more worried about me not fitting if if I didn't take it in the first place.
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I wouldn't say that I felt any pressure to partake when I was younger, in fact, I would be actively seeking stuff out. I always refused any offer of something I really didn't fancy taking and can't say I ever felt awkward for doing so.
  6. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

As strange as it might sound, but I have been in situations when I was younger where people around me tried all kinds of methods to get me back to drinking and "be one of them" again. And that didn't exactly come from young, immature or inexperienced quarters. I remember clearly one night when I went to a party where the host was intrigued with my anti-alcohol attitude. It turned into a sick game where he and his friends made a bet to see who could coerce me into drinking. I left, somewhat disturbed. Peer group pressure comes in many different forms.
  7. Most? I don't know about most. Some? Definitely. I know that I've been "talked into" having a sip of this or trying that in order to loosen up or have more fun. I never took it to an extreme, but I can definitely see how peer pressure, even as adults, can cause someone to like it and then want to do it more and more and more.
  8. triciarie

triciarie Member

I think it can go either way....yes peer pressure can have big impact on people....but not all people. Some people might say no to one thing but get easily talked into doing another drug. It really depends on how vulnerable they are or how their lifestyle is...etc... Their really isn't a yes or no answer because everybody's different.
  9. Femiluv

Femiluv Active Contributor

I honestly haven't noticed a correlation among people I know. But I definitely agree with you about peer pressure. A lot of the friends I know with substance abuse problems have talked about peer pressure being instrumental.

Peer pressure is something I find fascinating because I have always been strong willed and to be honest, I'm the friend who's usually pressuring my friends into trying things (good things though).
  10. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

I wasn't. I started smoking so I could fit in with my friends. That was all i picked up on. But my husband developed the habit of popping pills all on his own. I have friends who will do it occasionally, but none of them had the habit my husband does.
  11. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I don't think so. People might get pressured into drinking once or twice but getting addicted will always be totally their responsibility and not others'. Pressure they get from co workers or friends might be responsible for the intiation, but if it eventually turns into a bad habit then I'd contest they were already predisposed to this behavior as evidenced by a lack of a backbone to go against their peers let alone addiction.
  12. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo! Community Champion

Freewill, oh, such a gift. And yet, man's greatest gift is human's greatest curse. So intelligent is man designed. Human is a whole being. When all else fails-- mind, body, soul sold to its base desires; the Spirit is the human's inner being that saves him.

Peer pressure to drugs and anything harmful to the human body and mind is just another 'noise' outside of ourselves. It's either we give in or respond to our spirit (conscience) to stay strong and listen to its voice.

So, no one is obligated to respond drug-addiction and substance abuse. When one gives in to peer pressure, part of him really doesn't want to do it.