An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

A Doctor Prescribed It.....

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by EmilyW, Dec 12, 2018.

1. EmilyW

EmilyW Member

I had a bad bike accident in 2011 and completely shattered my right elbow. It was rebuilt that night and then the metal was removed because it shifted, screws broke. Six surgeries later, I couldn’t function. I found a rheumatologist who took me on and gave me Norco 10/325 mg up to 8 per day. It worked but then it stopped. So he added Fentanyl patches. My husband/soulmate/best friend died in 2014 but the pain meds didn’t help or hurt that pain. I just started traveling to see family and old friends. But I had no pain.

When my doctor increased my Fentanyl my family and friends thought I was drinking. My son knew I was on pain pills and he voiced his concern. Skip ahead to now, I stopped the Fentanyl in October and took my last Norco the day before Thanksgiving. I was given the choice of staying on the drugs or spending alone time with my 2 year old grandson. He wins at every turn.

I disconnected from my rheumatologist - he gave me drugs when he knew I’d be caring for my newborn grandson and driving him around. I was putting him in danger. I thought my driving was fine. Falling asleep at the wheel is not “fine.”

I saw my internist yesterday who has been monitoring my progress. I told him I thought I’d feel great by now but I feel like crap. I feel like I have the flu every day. He told me it takes awhile for the pain sensors to normalize but that he was so proud of me. He thought I’d still be weaning off of the Norco. My sleep is messed up. It never was before. The hardest part is I’m physically not able to take care of my grandson two days in a row. I don’t have the strength yet. Plus, I’m just tired from lack of sleep.

Thanks for reading.
    Dominica, True concern and deanokat like this.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@EmilyW... Thank you for sharing your story with us. I, too, am proud of you for the progress you made. I think you will feel better in time. Try to be patient and take things a day at a time. Use your grandson as motivation, too. Being with him is worth being off the meds, for sure.

We are here to offer you help, support, and a listening ear. You are not alone. So please use us as part of your support network, okay?

Sending you strength, hope, and encouragement. And some healing juju, too.
    EmilyW and True concern like this.
  3. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@EmilyW hey there! i think you've made some amazing progress! congrats to you!! i'm sorry you're feeling so tired. i am sure that can wear on you. i agree that in time, that can get better. do all you know to do... practice self-care, nurture yourself, drink lots of water...healthy eating best as you can... and if you're a prayer, pray. :)

not sure if your dr. runs blood tests on your vitamin levels... but might want to see if you're doing alright there, and supplement as you need.

you have an amazing story. your grandson is so lucky to have you!!

and yes, we are here for you anytime!!
    deanokat, True concern and EmilyW like this.
  4. True concern

True concern Community Champion

Can I ask how much was the daily fentanyl dose?Also 80mg's of Norco per day while on fentanyl,is that correct?Or am I misunderstanding?Also how long were you on fentanyl before the Norco was added?

I am only asking so I have a clearer picture and understanding before I respond further,however I will say now I am very proud of you
    Dominica and deanokat like this.
  5. EmilyW

EmilyW Member

I was on a Fentanyl patch anywhere from 25 mcg to 100 mcg every three days with the Norco. I’ll say I never overused either because it truly controlled my pain.

I was on the Norco first for about six months when he added the Fentanyl.

I saw my addictions counselor for the first time last night and she said it’s amazing I got myself off of both of those medications without going to rehab.
    deanokat, Dominica and True concern like this.
  6. Dominica

@EmilyW you liked your addiction counselor? it IS amazing that you did that!
    deanokat and True concern like this.
  7. deanokat

Great that you're seeing an addictions counselor, @EmilyW. And you are a total badass for getting off of both Fentanyl and Norco on your own. :)
    True concern and Dominica like this.
  8. EmilyW

EmilyW Member

I’m not sure that I’d say I like her. She’s tough. She said “welcome to being an addict.” I’m 56 and I’ve never been a drinker, social or otherwise, drug abuser or pot smoker. I got hooked on pain meds prescribed by a doctor. Now, I’m not taking away my own personal responsibility because he didn’t force me to use them, but she said that this opiate crisis is a whole new animal and is affecting a whole new segment of society. I guess we are all just one surgery or injury from an addiction Just waiting to happen. What happens if I need surgery?

P.S. Thank you very much for reading and responding.
    deanokat likes this.
  9. Dominica

@EmilyW i hear you.... you took your meds as prescribed and became hooked. not intentional... not sure i'd like to hear "welcome to being an addict" from a counselor either... ;)

you may need "tough".... mixed with some compassion, of course. i hope the sessions continue to go well.

focus on today... the future...need not worry about that today. breathe..... smile.

and know we are here!
    True concern and deanokat like this.
  10. deanokat

@EmilyW... If you need surgery, you take whatever pain meds you need only as they are prescribed, under a doctor's supervision. Pain meds aren't prescribed as carelessly as they once were, so you'd likely only get a small supply. You can also discuss your previous issues with your doctor to make sure that they're aware and use caution when prescribing medication for you. But no sense worrying about that now. That's a bridge you only have to cross when--and if--you get to it.

I'm proud of you, my friend.
    True concern and Dominica like this.
  11. True concern

True concern Community Champion

I am a recovering addict of many thing's, opiates is one.When I quit I started running....alot like 4 miles a day,life was stressful, confusing,and it was simply just hard to stay on track so I ran...Fastforward a few month's and I blew out my knee...Time for surgery and the need for pain pills just to be able to walk.Your concern or fear "We are all just one surgery away from being an addict"is a real one,yes I was an addict before but I had done the work to get sober and after the surgery well I had to re focus and fight addiction once again.I am only a few month's out of surgery so the fight is much harder because I still have some very painful day's but ultimately it comes down to whether or not you want to win the fight or just stay in it.I am no success story however I am making progress at a steady pace and I understand now the addiction is only after complete control and I like being in control as much as possible so I fight on.Yes the concept of "It can happen to anyone"is true but I guess that's the world we live in so at time's we must face the bad head on and keep fighting. STAY STRONG AND GOD BLESS
    deanokat likes this.