New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

A family member...

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Blue111, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Blue111

Blue111 Member

I wound up on this site because I'm completely mentally drained and out of options. I believe my sister is a hardcore addict, but of what I don't know. She only admits to snorting subutex and that's only because I've caught her doing it. She used to have a prescription pill problem. She has hit rock bottom. Her teeth are completely rotting out of her head, she stays up for 3 days at a clip but the rest of the time she can't get out of bed to take care of her kids. I have been called to the school twice in the past 2 weeks because she is unreachable. The house is a nightmare. If something upsets her even the tiniest bit, she screams and flies off the handle like you've never seen. At my wedding, she showed up late and proceeded to walk down the aisle and scream in front of the priest that I told her the wrong time to be at the church. I don't know what to do but I'm worried about her children. I don't even know what she's taking but it has to be hardcore. Any suggestions...can you force a person into rehab??
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Blue111... Welcome to the community. I'm very sorry to hear about your sister's condition. Addiction is a family disease and takes its toll on everyone who loves and cares about the person who is struggling.

Unfortunately, there really isn't a way to force someone into rehab. Your sister is the only person who can take the steps necessary to change her life. Al-Anon and Nar-Anon teach us this about a loved one's addiction: You didn't cause it, you can't control it, and you can't cure it. Those are hard words to accept, but they are 100 percent true.

That said, I completely understand your concern for your sister's children. They are not in a good situation and it would probably be a good idea to try and help them. Have you considered calling social services? I know reporting your own sister probably isn't something you want to do, but it would likely be the best way to make sure the children are safe. And getting the state involved might result in your sister having to go to treatment.

I will keep good thoughts and say a prayer for your sister, her kids, and you.
    MollyB likes this.
  3. Blue111

Blue111 Member

Thank you for your kind words. Social services have been involved, most recently when the children's school contacted them, But their focus has been the well being of the children. They have never drug tested her. They saw a fully stocked fridge and moved on. I thought it was ridiculous. I've put more scrutiny into opening my mail. I'm at a complete loss. It's like watching a Trainwreck in slow motion and not being able to stop it. Thank you again. I don't know what the solution is but ill keep trying....
  4. deanokat

@Blue111... Doing some reading about addiction might help you understand things better and give you some ideas. There are a lot of great books out there. This blog talks about some of my favorites:

6 Essential Books for Those with an Addicted Loved One

You are a good sister for caring. I am sending you all positive vibes and lots of hope.
  5. Blue111

Blue111 Member

I will check that out. Thank you
    deanokat likes this.
  6. deanokat