An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

A Fresh Start Each Day

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rainman, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

“Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?”
    ― L.M. Montgomery

If you are having difficulty fighting an addiction or deciding whether you should do something to change what of trying something simpler?

When you wake up each morning just promise yourself that for that one day you are going to be different. It's not a huge challenge. Just one day. Should you get through the day without drugs then it's proof that if you can try hard enough you can beat the addiction.
    remnant, xTinx, Rosyrain and 5 others like this.
  2. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I love that quote!! And I just love the concept of fresh starts. Every single day presents us that opportunity to start afresh - we just have to take advantage of it!
    Rainman likes this.
  3. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Usually we fear tomorrow because we think that it's going to be harder or we fear how many mistakes we can do to that day. But just like your quote, tomorrow is a new day, it's a blank page, it's our option to write on it. We shouldn't be afraid of tomorrow, because it's a blank canvas, we can try to fulfil our goals on it. Stop thinking about the what if, tomorrow do it. You can do it, be clean and sober, tomorrow, and the next day and the next day...

Good luck!
    Rainman likes this.
  4. PingPongCall

PingPongCall Active Contributor

It's a great thought. Seems everyday I wake up though my first thought is always WHY?
  5. EmmaAaren

EmmaAaren Member

The why's are personal. But the strongest for me is because I want to prove to someone I can do it. I want to prove to myself I can it! That goes for everything I have to accomplish. I do it to prove I am as strong as I want to be and can do this today! Or I can do it for the next hour, 2 hours, 12 hours, a day, a week, or year!
  6. jupiter

jupiter Active Contributor

Love it! Great quote and great post! Yes, it is nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it!! A second chance!! And if we can just focus on trying to get through it without making big mistakes, then we have something to motivate us to try to be better!!
    Rainman likes this.
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I am loving this quote! It somehow put a smile on my face. Very positive. From now on, every time I would wake up in the morning, I would say this out aloud and I am pretty sure, this would totally make me feel so much better.
  8. serenity

serenity Community Champion

That quote is quite inspiring, I will keep that in mind. Tomorrow is indeed a new day where you can start on a clean slate, so always be positive and try not to be discouraged.
  9. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Wonderful post! How we start our day usually affects the outcome of the whole day ahead. Waking up everyday with a positive attitude will greatly inspire you to do your best the whole day so you can also end it with a beautiful smile on your face and with a hope of another great day ahead the next morning. It's a cause and effect of feeling good and doing good.
    Rainman likes this.
  10. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

That's a great quote. My favorite one is "Every day is a new day and the new day brings a new life for us."
    I burrowed this quote from Buddhist scriptures. Another good one is, "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, therefore live i the present." (Source unknown)
  11. loverman99

loverman99 Member

That's right. To make it ever fresher just try not to wake up today the same way you did yesterday. Little things but the difference they make is huge! For example, try not to pick up your phone as soon as you open your eyes. Just check the time. Don't start your morning my checking your social media. Do some exercises instead.
  12. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

A very nice quotation! It is really nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with new challenges and opportunities that will give us new hope in our life...And we should always bear in our mind that there will be more better days to come into our life. :)
  13. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

So true indeed. Treat each day like it's a new lease of life (or a new life all together). What do you want to accomplish with your life today? Who do you want to be in life today? Don't let anything external influence you, you are in control. Be who and what you truly desire to be in life. If the mind can conceive, then it can achieve.
  14. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Yes, I think sometimes we get in a rut and think that nothing can change that rut. We have the power to change whatever we want to about our lives and how we view the world. It is up to us. Different actions provide different consequences. This is something that everyone needs to realize.
  15. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

All you have to do is try to be 1% better each day, however you quantify that. Thinking from that perspective, it'll only take a few months for 100% improvement ;)
  16. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Every day has the potential of being a good day. How to choose to handle it will determine how the day goes. There will be good and bad days but that is all a part of life. We just have to keep a positive attitude. This a great quote. I just shared it on my FB page.
  17. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

I like that saying, and I think that it is a good way to think about time in recovery. A new day with no mistakes yet. Sometimes things like this can seem a little corny or a little cliche, but the truth is is that they are what you need to have to be successful. We need to take things slowly, one day at a time, and really think about every move that we make.
  18. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

This is excellent advice and is worth considering. You are going to gave bad days during recovery, but it is important to remember that each day is a brand new day, and you will wake up the next day to fight again. Rome was not built over night and same goes for your addiction recovery.
  19. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I've come across that quote a number of times before. Reading it again never fails to move me. Each day you have a chance to be better. Sometimes, we get caught up in the past and forget that it's something we can never erase or undo. It's more important to create great memories with loved ones, accept our own shortcomings and just play to our strengths.
    Rainman likes this.
  20. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

This is great advice for anyone, both recovering addicts and people who are not addicts can use this advice. Getting through one day at a time is key when going through any life-changing event. Choosing to do better for one day could lead to choosing to do better for two days, then a week, then a month, so on and so forth. It takes a small step to get started, but once the ball gets rolling, great things can happen.
    Rainman likes this.