An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

A friend in need.

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by philthegoat, Mar 12, 2016.

1. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

Yeah, you're right. It doesn't sound like much it sounds like too much actually. For a boy of 14 it is too early for heavy drinking and three years after he has to have some problems. You should help him in some indirect way I believe because he might have some reaction on you approaching directly. That is just my opinion. If you have time and you want to help and you are his best friend you should encourage some activities instead of going out. Be persistent in your wishes to try something else. Say you need some time off the city limits. Go hiking. Do things he used to love. Remind him that life is more than booze.
  2. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

That is a good tip, he needs to snap out of it as soon as possible. Also, it would be great to be hearing some news from you.
  3. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

You just have to be supportive. It's always good to have someone on your side who isn't judgemental. Your friend really has to try to quit drinking like this on his own. You encouraging him to quit drinking could make a big difference.
  4. oportosanto

That is one important aspect you have mentioned, we should not be judgmental simply because we are what we are. Stuff happened and we need to move on, not to judge the past.
  5. monty

monty Active Contributor

We should always help our friend whenever they are in need for us.Friends are the only way that can help any other person to cope up with him.Friends are the precious gifts to humans and we should not leave it or let this happen if necessary then help them.Believe me, you will feel happy and you will receive their blessings which is priceless.
  6. oportosanto

We should help our friends, at the same time we should do it without getting ourselves in risk, I mean, sometimes we get too close and we get sucked into the problem and we cannot get out.
  7. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

You can help your friend by various ways. I think that your friend is now aware of the various dangers of the alcohol. You can make him aware of the stories of alcohol destroying the relationships. On the other hand, you can show him some success stories on the Internet describing the brave peoples who were able to leave the habit of drinking. You need to guide and support him on every step.
  8. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Active Contributor

As his friend you gotta help him by giving him some advice and support, that is not an easy situation for him and you should understand that, try to talk to him and make him think way differently, tell him that it is for his own safety and all that, you gotta help him out for real.
  9. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Hoping everything is okay as I can't see that you've checked back in with us. I think you should be commended for wanting to help your friend. I know that if I had someone like you saying "hey - you're drinking too much" back when I was in my late teens/early 20's it would have probably helped me realize a lot quicker. A lot of the time I think people try to avoid conflict so that can be tough.

I think heart to hearts are always best. I would just really indicate that you're worried - that it's not a road you want to see your friend going down. Like some others have said it can be hard to help someone that really doesn't want to be helped - but I also think that age is one where peer pressure is tough, so just knowing someone supports you to NOT drink is a huge thing, you know?
  10. Dilof

Dilof Member

I'd say show him some videos and pictures on the effects that alcohol can have on previously rational and ethical people. The effect alcohol has on the brain is very scary, and can completely change a person for the worst. Say to him that you care about him and that you don't want the same to happen to him.

Also bring up potential job opportunities and whether or not he would be committed to them if he was under the influence of alcohol and was always hung over.
  11. oportosanto

Job opportunities are great, considering the person is already able to deal with that, because if it's a stressful job it can make it even harder.
  12. Deeishere

Deeishere Active Contributor

Since he has been drinking since the age of 14, he could have an addiction. Is there something going on in his life that he is trying to mass through drinking? A lot of times people drink to medicate the pain they are experiencing. Since he started so young, I wonder about his home life. I would talk with him and try to get him help. He may need to see someone who can counsel him to see what is going on in his mind. This site has some really good resounces that you should check out.
  13. oportosanto

3 years drinking does sound like much, especially if it's done on a daily basis is far more than enough to create addiction. Being only 17 he has to stop is know to avoid further damages.