An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

A Heroin Story from Long Ago

Discussion in 'Heroin' started by Titanium, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Titanium

Titanium Member

Our school district was plagued with tragedy back in seventh grade. I was still in middle school, and a person in my grade stopped attending classes one day. Little did I know, he had actually died of a heroin overdose.

Before this, I had never even heard of heroin. At the age of 12, I had no need to know what that was or why people used it After that, it became the talk of my small community.

A life was lost, but now everyone was well aware of the risks involved. Ever since then, there haven't been any drug-related deaths near where I live, and I hope that continues. The thought of a student dying at such a young age from drugs is absolutely horrible.
  2. mayasupernova

mayasupernova Active Contributor

Oh my. I am so sad to read something like that. Was that person also 12, your age? If he or she was, it is shocking to even understand the idea that heroin got introduced to someone being so young. Very sad indeed.
    I am glad that, after that poor person who got taken away so soon, there has not been anything similar in the area you live in.
    Just makes me mad to know that some very evil person sold that heroin to that poor kid at some point! What kind of a person would do that to anyone, let alone a young person.
  3. Titanium

Titanium Member

Oh, yes! He was also twelve. Unfortunately, I can't remember his name these days :( I meet so many people in college that my name-remembering ability is AWFUL. :/

When we graduated from high school (by we I mean our grade), he was actually still included. We graduated with 198 students, but our school principal had claimed there were 199 of us. He counted the student that had passed away in his honor. Our principal really was/is a swell guy.

There's a Facebook page I believe that's dedicated to him. The students that knew him personally write happy birthday and shared old memories for a few years after it happened :eek:
  4. Apollo545

Apollo545 Active Contributor

Thank you for sharing your experience! It can be hard to talk about these things, but it must be done to prevent it from happening in the future. I hope that you will never lose someone else to drug abuse! I have gone through the same and I know exactly how you feel.
  5. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

That's very sad to hear bit at least some good came from it. A 12 year old dying from a herion overdose is just terrible.
  6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

That's quite saddening. He was only 12 years old; he had his whole life ahead of him. Well, I don't know if it's a great thing that his passing somehow brought goodness to your community. But yeah, I hope no one would fall prey to heroin addiction anymore.
  7. kgord

kgord Community Champion

That is sad, but even sadder was when I was teaching in an elementary school. One of the students had died the summer before from a huffing incident. He was only 6 or something like that...Talk about sad, and unnecessary..!
    I am sure he was just copying older peers or family members. What a tragedy!
  8. gracer

gracer Community Champion

It's really sad and heart breaking to hear stories like this, including @kgord's story. Learning that even the very young could fall victims to drugs really makes my emotions burst. I hope that the lesson learned from the death of that young man would continue to serve as a reminder that heroine and other prohibited drugs could take away a precious life.
  9. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

It is sad that a young person lost their life due to this drug and also their friends and family have to live with the loss of a son and friend who was this young and hope others see this as a wake-up call that this drug can ruin a life and also it can make a person change from how they usually are and can be sad when the person loses their life. It can be nice when the other people in the area learn from this and also it can make them try and live a positive life, and also, it can make the mind rest properly and also it can be nice to see the community change for the better. I think that it can be good to see nice results happen from this story which can make more people see the good things from this tragedy and hope things turn out for the better.
  10. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

Wow really? 7th grade?! That's insane. I've never heard of someone that young being hooked on that drug. How sad, especially at such a young age.