An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

A Home-Remedy That Can Help Smokers Quit

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Rainman, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I read some complaints somewhere that nicotine patches, gums, etc don't help some smokers and when one thing doesn't work, you try another and another until you find one that does. I've heard claims that chewing beeswax can help someone battling a smoking addiction quit.

Has anyone here ever tried this?
  2. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

I haven't tried any of this myself and I don't smoke, but I know people who do. My friend says that chewing conventional gum has helped him a lot. Not only does it do justice for his breath and his teeth, but it distracts him and he finds himself smoking less cigarettes every day. I guess if you find something that you enjoy chewing, it might not completely rid you of your addiction, but it could definitely help slow it down a little.

As long as it's an affordable and effective remedy, it's worth a try, especially if you've tried everything else with no success.
    Rainman likes this.
  3. akiram13

akiram13 Community Champion

I cannot vouch for the anti smoking products because I myself never used them to help me quit. I honestly did it the hard way and just locked myself in my home. Its easier me to quit because the people I live with don't smoke and kept my mind off it. Just the smell would lure me if other people smoked near me so I did what I thought necessary.Everyone is different though and I don't know if someone else couldhandle the craves the way I did. I just ate food when I got urges to smoke and would put my mind somewhere else or on another task.
  4. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I have never been addicted to smoking, so I'd not be able to tell, but my fiance is a smoker. We haven't tried gum or patches yet, but we might soon. We are willing to try whatever we think that might help, I will try to encourage this remedy as well if everything else fails. I'm only hoping he really tries hard this time.
  5. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I think chewing beeswax or gum does the same thing maybe the only exception is that beeswax is 100% natural. If you can get hold of some honey that's still in it's comb that would be great.
    Rainman likes this.
  6. Hozyboy

Hozyboy Active Contributor

I think it can help but when the environment is controlled. If not then someone can just develop a double addiction and it may not be a good thing if you smoke and chew tobacco at the same time.
  7. Theboysmom04

Theboysmom04 Member

Oil pulling is a good way to cut back on smoking. It's also beneficial in other ways. I've been able to cut back using this method with far less cravings. I haven't beat my addiction but going from two packs a day to half a pack a day is certainly progress.
  8. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Pаrt оf thе rеаsоn thаt niсоtinе is sо аddiсtivе аnd sо hаrd tо gеt rid оf is bесаusе it pеrmеаtеs yоur bоdy аs а tоxin. It gеts intо yоur systеm аnd is vеry hаrd tо gеt оut. But wаtеr is а nаturаl dеtоxifiеr. It will purgе yоur systеm bеttеr thаn just аbоut аnything. Аnd yоur bоdy nееds wаtеr tо соuntеrасt mаny оf thе hаrmful еffесts оf tоbассо аnd niсоtinе.Thе wаtеr hеlps yоu hеаl аnd it еnаblеs yоu rесоvеr frоm smоking whilе yоu аrе trying tо quit. Аs yоu аbаndоn yоur rеgulаr smоking hаbits yоur bоdy will hеаl оn its оwn аnd stаrt tо dеtоxify, but wаtеr givеs it аn еxtrа bооst, аnd it spееds up thе prосеss, hеlping yоu fight yоur аddiсtiоns thаt muсh mоrе.
  9. Jose

Jose Active Contributor

Chewing gum has helped me a lot, I didn't intended to use gum as a tool to kick the habit, it just happend. I would chew gum all day long until my jaw hurt, it was more like redirecting the anxiety than anything else but it works, now I don't chew gum that way, as a matter of fact I think you can create a really strong dependence out of just chewing regular gum. Its crazy how everything can turn into an addiction once you're an addict.
  10. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I've never heard of this home remedy. I'm sure that there are home remedies that work. I think drinking detox tea helps get most nicotine out of your system. Mint is suppose to help a lot too. I think that there are still more home remedies that haven't been discovered yet.
  11. Joethefirst

I have heard of oil pulling but I didn't know that it was so effective. I wouldn't consider it progress rather a huge leap in the right direction.
  12. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

In my opinion, if multiple methods are tried and fails then the only way would be to quit naturally-the hard way. They go on challenges and fight the need hard until they can overcome it or they go some place where they are surrounded by people who would help them not to yield.

A person's commitment to quit is what really works for addiction.
  13. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

No I haven't. The gum and patch can only go so far as it doesn't deliver the same hit as cigarettes do. Inhaling goes straight to the body and the gum and patch are small trickles of nicotine. Unless the up the dosage of it, smoking is still the preferred method of instant delivery.
  14. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

I've heard of the nicotine products helping people. The problem is, people find the social aspects of smoking too enticing. You see a group of people outside of a bar smoking and you just want to join them so badly. You want so badly to ask for a cigarette and a light. Nicotine gum or a patch doesn't offer that.
  15. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I've never tried chewing beeswax. But I did try chewing gum. And also lollipops. I like the latter better because chewing gum hurts my jaw. I used to chew them all the time to stave off my cravings but my jaw got tired from all that chewing. With lollipops, I can just let it stay there inside my mouth until it melts.
  16. Joethefirst

I have seen the opposite happening, I have seen people leave to have a smoke because most of the people at table didn't smoke.