An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

A horrifying confession

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Tremmie, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Yesterday I finally asked my fiance how long he had to stand his parent's secondhand smoke when he was a kid, the answer he gave made me feel horrified. It turns out those idiots exposed him to their smoke for 12 years! That's almost the same amount of time he has been smoking himself, so... it's like he as been smoking for 24 years! He is just 33 years old. I felt so sick.

I was afraid to ask about this for the same reason, I knew it would be bad, but not sure I knew it would be this bad :( I am trying not to thin about it, but can't help but to judge his stupid parents harshly whenever I wonder how someone can have so little common sense.

At this point I have no idea if he will ever quit, I can't do much though, so I guess the only I can do is simply wait.
  2. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I was exposed to second hand smoke as a kid it wasn't hard for me to quit. When something causes you health problems you won't have a problem giving it up sometimes. My dad quit smoking after his health problems also. I think it's about individual choice, whether someone wants to continue a bad habit or not. Just try to educate him on the bad side effects of smoking cigarettes or tobacco maybe he'll come around.
  3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I was exposed to second hand smoke all my childhood, up until I was 19 and left for college. I don't know much it affected my health but I try to be as healthy as possible nowadays. Daily cardio and healthy meals, plus no more smoking around my house.
  4. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

Being a smoker myself I understand the repercussions of not only smoking but the effects of second-hand smoke in others. I have a 12 year old daughter, and while I know that I'm putting my life at risk by smoking, I'm not willing to do the say same to her. That is why I never smoke or allow any smoking in my house or car. When I smoke It's always outside and afterwards I take a shower, brush my teeth, and change my clothing because I know how residue is left on skin, hair, clothes, and mouths after smoking. In a way I see as this is my addiction and I have to be considerate towards others and not drag them down with me.
  5. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

It sucks that he had to be in that kind of environment, and these days we know the dangers of second hand smoke without any doubt. It is hard not to question what his parents were thinking, - I can understand if it was the time of not knowing the dangers of cigarette smoke, but surely they were aware at some point.

I'm glad that a lot of countries are now passing laws such as the ones about not smoking in vehicles with children - this is a step in the right direction if you ask me!
  6. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

Most people that smoked in the past would smoke in front of their kids. I think that way of thinking has changed many smokers will not smoke in closed rooms with children in them.
    There are and will always be those that don't care.
  7. Krato

Krato Member

I grew up with smokers as well and of course I smoke. I am also trying to quit, keep trying to help him, my fiance is also trying to help me quit and from a smokers point of view its nice to have someone trying to help you with such a difficult thing, he may get irritated if you press the issue too hard but be patient and supportive. I too get annoyed with my fiance sometimes when she 'rides' me about smoking but then I just think, she's right and I leave my pack of cigs at home to go for a run with her, burning lungs don't really feel like smoking right now:eek::p
  8. johnyork

johnyork Active Contributor

I used to be exposed to second hand smoke also. I believe that's what made me want to start smoking. I smoked for 11 years and then decided enough is enough. It's amazing how much better you start feeling after you quit. I hope he can kick this nasty habit.
  9. kgord

kgord Community Champion

my ex and myself smoked a little around my son when he was young...but not in enclosed areas or anything like that. I wasn't ever a "real" smoker anyway..maybe once or twice a week. Even though I don't think it affected his health, he does smoke today and that to me is a pity. He smokes lightly but he still smokes, as do I. It is quite unneccessary.
  10. Joethefirst

I think the same way I remember as a kid I actually like the smell it's interesting that how your perception changes. Now days I think cigarette smoke stinks.
  11. Krato

Krato Member

That's quite interesting. For me the smell of cigarettes is a nice one, so many people complain that a person 'stinks' of cigarettes but I don't really understand it, even still I like the smell of a burning cigarette.
  12. Joethefirst

Not all cigarettes smell the same but most of them I find stink. It's easy to see if someone smokes inside a car, it doesn't have that fresh car smell that normally has. In fact even when you look at the second hand car market you will often see the salesman assuring the future buyer that the driver didn't smoke.
    Then again they do sell cigarette smelling scented candles so fortunately everyone can find something for themselves.
  13. Krato

Krato Member

Wow okay, I did not know that, lol, I may like the smell but I don't think I would buy those... some people might I guess. I smoke in my car and yes, it does change the smell, what I find works is I rub my the leather down with a product called 'Sheen' which has quite a nice fragrance, it get's the smoke smell out of the car for about a week, it comes back because I was smoking in the car again of course :/ I always smoke with the window open though.
  14. Hozyboy

Hozyboy Active Contributor

I really like your reasoning and it is a good habit you have there. If all parents were considerate like you the world would be a good place. I understand you do not want to put your daughter in danger but what if you quit smoking altogether for your daughter? You do not want her to maybe lose her father for something you can avoid. Just think about it. It would be best if you just stop. Smoking kills slowly and the trauma of medical bills and hospital visits is not a really good thing.
  15. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

My father was a car salesman for forty years. Smoking was a big issue when trying to sell cars. Not just because of the smell it leaves, burns in the seats/floor, ash ingrained into the material, etc but also because once someone has smokes in a car, it leaves a layer of residue on the windows which is basically impossible to ever remove. My father believed that smoking inside a car instantly devalued it by a significant amount of money.
  16. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I would believe that. I think that smoking in a car always makes it smell no matter how little it is. I guess the best thing you could do would be to get your car detailed...and try to mask it to a degree, but it is still going to be there. It is just one of the things that should be avoided. The value of my car is pretty much neglible anyway..but I never smoke in the house or allow smoking in the house, just for that reason.
  17. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Has your husband ever thought about quitting? Have you every talked to your husband about quitting? Your husband's parents were really bad because they exposed him to second hand smoke. However,if you husband continues to smoke, he will expose you and your children to second hand smoke. You will be committing the same mistake.
  18. Joethefirst

The problem is that the smell gets infiltrated into the roof lining. There are products to clean it but I don't know how effective they are in removing the smell.
  19. akiram13

akiram13 Community Champion

I have been exposed to second hand smoke from all of my family since I was a toddler. I started smoking at the age of 14 on and off until now. Well at the moment I am not smoking but this might be due to my pregnancy. I have my own children now but I have never smoked around them or even let them see me doing it.
  20. blenly

blenly Member

You could try to give him small bits of encouragement to cut down and then eventually he might quit. One thing you could do is calculate the amount he is spending and calculate the amount of weeks/months it would take to save up to X amount of money. If you have a dream holiday destination you could work out how long it would take to save up the money if he quits. Put up a calendar to countdown, save the money and when you reach the date treat yourselves to the holiday!