An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

A little story about a drug called Vyvanse

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Shimus, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

Vyvanse is a newer drug (At least around here) that is taking the college town by storm. Abused in the form of breaking down the contents of the capsules (in this case white powder) into parachutes or half-capsules or even mixing in it a shotglass with water (1 oz to be precise, yes I did it, I won't lie.) because insufflation (or snorting for those who don't know what that means) won't release the chemical properly. It's a much more intense speed then Addies, being 70mg capsules at the smallest.

Now everyone is trying to get them and the demand is soooo high since this is a college town and kids want to go go go all the time. The abuse isn't like other drugs I've done or seen. The coming down off the drug feels like you want to fight everything around you and your head throbs like a migraine, all the while killing any sense of appetite (ala any speed effect, really) but to a higher extent - like your stomach literally eats itself. I even started bleeing from my teeth! From my gumlines no less.

I can't see why people would want them over Adderall, anyways. Addies are a much cleaner speed, though of course I'm not advocating to go do them or try them. In fact, any speed has a high abuse limit because people don't want to come down, they want to feel like they're on top of the world. And the only way to accomplish that is by continually "bumping" or "Reupping".

What do you guys think? Ever done this? Been where I've been?
  2. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

Never heard of this but I hope word gets out about the dangers. Bleeding can be really serious. Sounds like you may have had some stomach bleeding as well if it was that painful. Did you notice any signs of that?

Maybe you can talk to the RAs or someone in administration and get some information put together to warn people of what could happen from using this drug.
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I've only ever taken speed and never had anything like Adderall. It's funny though, when I was using speed, I always wanted to try these prescription stimulants as I thought that they would be better for me! These days, I wonder how people who have a genuine medical need for these pills manage to cope with the side-effects.
  4. Shimus

I know the person in point (the Vyvanse prescribed patient, that is) and he doesn't cope well. That's why he sells off his medications or doesn't take them like he's supposed to. It gives him bad side effects. Sadly the doctors around here shove pills at you and don't properly diagnose you half of the time, so it may be that it was not for him.
  5. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

That's crazy, if you are friends with this guy I think you should talk to him about what happened when you used the drug and encourage him to stop distributing it. What he is doing is illegal and could ruin his life very quickly.
  6. Mackmax

Mackmax Active Contributor

Oh god, this sounds awful. I've never heard of this drug, so it must be extremely new, or I'm just out of the loop. Hopefully someone can educate those college kids on the dangers and risks they're taking each time they use that drug, otherwise they may continue using it thinking it is completely safe, when in reality it could be deadly. If after just one hit, you feel the pull to be violent and it feels like your stomach is eating itself, this drug is very powerful and you should not use it again. I don't see how anyone could or would want to abuse a drug that gives you migraines, makes you want to be violent, and gives you a bloody mouth.
    This drug sounds extremely deadly, so hopefully the college will take control of the situation and find out who has been dealing it and arrest them.
  7. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

This is quite interesting. It appears that people are able synthesize a never-ending supply of new potentially dangerous chemicals that could be used as recreational drugs. I wonder if there ever will be a point in time when every chemical combination of compounds has been exhausted and we all had knowledge of all possible substances and knew how to exploit their effects in moderation. I don't think this will ever happen, and the rise in popularity of Vyvanse only serves to corroborate my theory.
  8. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is actually my first time to learn or read something about Vyvanse. I also think that it is not yet available or being used in here, but not sure about that.
  9. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

Other than the potential to get a better high, is there any actual, medical advantage to taking it instead of adderal? Honestly, I can't help but to wonder who the drug companies are designing these drugs for. And to think... these legal synthasized methamphetamine pills were originally designed to give your children. Its just insane.
  10. jon

jon Active Contributor

I've never heard of that drug before. I am am sorry to hear that this drug is taking over the college crowd. Hopefully people will begin to realize that drugs are bad.
  11. Shimus

Nobody will realize it's bad because they actively seek it out. Only until the point of no return or when side effects or syndromes pop up then it becomes a problem they actually realize it. Drugs themselves are not bad; not even this one. When they're prescribed PER person and others take them en masse you have to figure it's not going to pan out. Not everyones physiology or chemical imbalances may be the same.