An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

A long road.

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Plus, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Plus

Plus Member

When I first began my trip out of addiction I didn't know what to do with myself. All the time I would spend on it was now spent thinking about it, nervous movements and just being anxious all the time because something was missing. I soon began realizing that I would need to fill that space with other things, things I enjoyed that I would be able to do without thinking of my bad habits.
    I started to fill those gaps with learning to prepare better meals (in fact I taught myself how to make some pretty amazing dishes, still do, even). I'm also one of those types of people who love to research; I'll research for fun. I began researching and enrolled in college as well in order to pass my time. I've also taken more interest in video games, which are extremely helpful when I'm in a tight spot because it allows me to focus on another reality.

Has anyone else ever moved on with these types of things?
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Keeping yourself busy does help keep cravings at bay. As stated elsewhere on the forum, disrupting established routines and doing things differently [from what you were used to] can help form new, productive habits that will permanently replace substance abuse as your "go-to" activity at the specified time.
  3. Plus

Plus Member

Exactly! I love being able to be productive instead of wasting my time on something useless. Reading became a huge thing for me as well, I began digging into a book on my work breaks instead of feeding the addiction. Beginning college also helped me distract myself as long as it was a class I enjoyed such as programming or tech-related. Although some of the courses did stress me out a bit more, luckily I've learned to deal with stress much better now.
    Rainman likes this.
  4. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Many people are taught in rehab that keeping yourself busy is the best thing to do during the recovery process. It is best to keep your mind off of your cravings and focus on something productive. This theory can be very lucrative to anyone struggling with addiction.
  5. Plus

Plus Member

Yes! Keeping your hands busy for a smoker such as taking up art or writing can make a world of difference. Or drinking copious amounts of water can make a world of difference for an alcoholic..
    It's all about replacing bad habits with better habits, whatever that may be.

Some people find pleasure out of replacing cigarettes with carrots I've heard, it never worked for me but good on them! Or some people found pleasure out of replacing alcohol with hikes or biking, really in my opinion whatever suits your liking and actually works is absolutely great. As long as you enjoy it and it keeps your mind busy to prevent a relapse then I'd say go for it!
  6. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

Keeping yourself occupied is definitely the very best way of winning when it comes to addiction. Your mind doesn't wonder off into nothingness and end up thinking of the substance you are trying to stay away from.

The minute you are busy with something that also makes you happy, you forget about how the substance used to make you feel and focus on making it without that particular substance. An idle mind really does do more harm than good.
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

That's great to hear that you are trying to focus on other things aside from being drowned by addiction. I hope this will continue for you, and you'll be able to find true bliss in your life. :)