An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

a lot of fuss over nothing?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by pwarbi, Mar 22, 2015.

1. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While smoking cigarettes is a bad habit, we all know that and we all know about the dangers that it involves, but with smoke free zones, anti smoking campaigns, dedicated quit sites and government agencies focusing on smoking cessation services, aren't we getting a little over the top when it comes to smoking tobacco?

Its not I legal and I doubt it ever will be made illegal due to the fortunes in tax that is made from the sale of them every year so as long as people who do want to smoke, respect the rights of the people that don't, isn't that enough?

I'm not advocating smoking, I'm just putting that train of thought up for debate.
  2. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I personally find it very normal to have people that conduct anti-smoking campaigns, as it's a very bad habit that we should give up on if we have it ( I do have it personally, but I'm too addicted to quit, unfortunately). Making it illegal isn't the solution, really, because it will encourage smuggling and people would ultimately smoke even more, because the "illegal" factor will undoubtedly trigger teen people to smoke even more, hidden from the sight of their parents and local authorities, for that matter. So let us tobacco consumers sustain the economy, this is the only productive thing that smoking does, anyway.
    I personally respect non-smokers, and I don't smoke in the street, nor in non-smoking pubs or restaurants, but in the comfort of my house or at work. We shouldn't punish others for our vice.
  3. pwarbi

Well that's how I see it as well, in fact most of the smokers I know respect the people that don't smoke. But the more and more people try and tell other people what to do, the more and more they're going to do the opposite. If somebody wants to quit, they'll do it when they're ready, not when they're told to.
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

The fight against drug abuse or smoking to be specific, should know no limits. Whatever it takes to discourage smokers from smoking or keeping those who haven't yet started smoking off cigarettes, that's all fine IMHO. And these campaigns have borne some fruit:

"The smoking rate among adults in the United States has dropped again, an encouraging trend that experts on smoking cessation attribute to public policies like smoke-free air laws and cigarette taxes, as well as media campaigns and less exposure to smoking in movies."
  5. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I don't think the efforts are too extreme, but I do feel they went too far in some areas. Banning restaurants from allowing indoor smoking, for example, I disagree with completely, because it should be up to the owners who pay their taxes to run their business as they see fit and if they see allowing smoking to be more profitable then they should be allowed to. Non smokers can merely just find some other establishment that disallows it. Apart from that I don't have much complaints especially considering they are a lot more unfair with other less harmful substances, but I do agree that people should just be free to decide for themselves.
  6. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

To be honest, smoking-free lounges are the perfect thing when it comes to bars / public spaces. I didn't get out of the house to swallow clouds of smoke. Also, there should be respect for people who do not smoke, as passive smoking is more harmful and irritating than casual smoking. Managers should consider this before wanting to start a big bad business.

But I agree with you, anti-smoking campaigns are lame. As long as people know about the dangers of smoking, let them be.
  7. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I used to be very respectful of people who do not smoke when I used to smoke and I could see their point about not wanting to smell my smoke. It is like being behind a vehicle that needs to be serviced real bad and you are forced to smell the cough inducing smog that comes out of it. Same thing, people did not want to smell my smoke.
  8. pwarbi

The thing with government statistics and quotes like that, is that they're published by the government. If they spend millions and millions of tax payers money into no smoking campaigns, I dont think theyre going t turn round and admit it's not working even if it isnt.
    I'd say the only reason peopl might have cut down is because of the economy and people have less money these days.
  9. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

There is a tie and place for everything. Smokers are now designated to smoke in certain areas in most states. That includes restaurants and most public state and federal buildings. Everyone has the right to use it and not. Just need to follow as to where you can do it is all.
  10. pwarbi

Agreed. If people want to smoke and they have every right to do so, then they should smoke in the designated places. I don't think any smoker as an issue with that. What smokers DO have an issue with is that they are being treated more and more like outcasts and looked down upon by non smokers. They seem to have a very high horse, and I for one hope they fall off it very soon!