An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

A Matter of Willpower

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by anne16, Apr 9, 2015.

1. anne16

anne16 Active Contributor

I am not sure if this is true, but would it be possible to stop using drugs because the person just wanted to or just because the person has strong willpower? I always hear a cousin of mine say this that he will stop when he wants too, because he can if he wants.
  2. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Well, the fact that he says he can quit when he wants to but hasn't actually quit yet is an indication that he doesn't want to - before someone is even capable of quitting a habit, then they need to actually want to quit first - otherwise they can't. The fact that your cousin is still using drugs is a clear indication that he cannot quit whenever he wants to or he would have already done so. Also, if he can quit whenever he wants then why is he still using drugs? Is that really a personal choice? If so, it's a pretty stupid one.
  3. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think it's possible but I don't think it's the sole ingredient in being able to handle possibly bad habits with any amount of moderation. In my opinion education and discipline also plays a big part in it, considering that most people who are able to function despite their more questionable habits are able to do so with a mixture of all mentioned traits.
  4. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

My opinion is that your cousin will not stop until he hits rock bottom. Two likely ugly scenario's occur with habitual users, either you get very sick and die from complications of overuse or go to jail or have a very close call of getting locked up. Very few people survive a happy, successful life. Sure exceptions, but I have yet to meet anyone who uses all the time and is okay physically or mentally. At the same time, there a "some" people who can stop of their own free will and determination. I know a few who have done that, too. But most need professional help to stop cold turkey.
    lynzyh28 likes this.
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Sounds like your cousin is in denial to me. If he can stop then why does he carry on using?

It's important to realise that there's no getting through to people in this frame of mind. He needs to realise that he has a problem himself and any helpful advice will more than likely get misconstrued as "nagging".
  6. cheeto

cheeto Member

It's a very real thing that sadly not all of us are capable of. I've heard of people who quit smoking a pack a day for 20 years who just quit cold turkey and never touch the stuff again. While we'd all like to think we are capable, it might not be true for all of us. You have to take quitting an addiction realistically and take your personal needs into account.
  7. anne16

That's what I am thinking too. It is just hard to reason with him as all you are saying fell on deaf ears. Right now, I only designate myself as an observer and doesn't meddle on his affairs anymore. But still, I am trying to understand him or maybe I can find or learn something that I can use to help.
  8. anne16

I agree. It is a good place to start in any case but he still needs the courage to act on his words. From our previous conversations, he seems knowledgeable of his situation or the consequences. I guess its the discipline that's lacking.
  9. anne16

Those you have mentioned above are exactly our worries, especially his mother. We all know the dangers of using illegal drugs that is why we are trying to help him overcome his addiction. But he must help himself first. He needs professional help, that I am sure of.
    pineywood likes this.
  10. anne16

Right! Knowing and accepting are two different things. I think he knew he has a problem, the acceptance is the hard part of it. And you are right again about the "nagging" part, this is the reason why I have distanced myself from him for the mean time.
  11. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I do think that it is possible to totally stop if he will really like to stop and have a strong willpower. It is because if you really like it, you will find ways and do ways to stop no matter what. He will seek help if necessary if he really want to help himself to stop.
  12. anne16

I think we need a good reason to quit, on top of the strong will power. We also need the necessary motivation. If we have considered our personal reasons for quitting, it may help us in the process. However, I do agree with you that this can't be true or possible for everybody.
  13. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

Well, I can sympathize and relate! Hopefully, he will make the right decision and seek the professional help needed. It is so easy to know the dangers of illegal drugs or any type of drug, but it can be equally easy for people to rationalize, they are the exception.
  14. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think most people struggle with problems like this in general. Often we find it easy to intellectualize the problem but following through is another story. Most people do actually understand their situation objectively but still fall short for one reason or another but it's important to keep building and keep trying.
  15. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

Personally, unless you're being restricted in some way, quitting is always about wanting to and having the willpower to do so. Addicts are not going to quit abusing substances unless they want to and decide that is what they are going to do. We all struggle with willpower and things of this nature, but for addicts it's really the only way to stop.
  16. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

All I know is quitting your addiction is easier said than done. Of course, if you really want to, there's a huge possible that you can fully stop doing drugs, but it's not going to be that easy. You will go through an awful phase of withdrawal symptoms. So, one should also have that strong willpower to continue his journey through the path of recovery, because if he lacks willpower, I don't think he'll really be successful in staying clean and sober.
  17. I think that it may be possible, but it is an incredibly hard thing to attempt without any help whatsoever. Even getting positive support from friends or family members may really increase chances of recovery. To completely attempt to quit on one's own, cold turkey, can be so difficult one may feel like they can't accomplish it.
  18. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

No one is superior to any substance. Because if that is true, then all smokers would've already quit by now. I know a lot of smokers who don't like it anymore but are still trapped to doing it because not even their willpower could handle it. It's deeper than they thought.
  19. anne16

I completely agree with you on this. It is never easy. Recognizing and facing the problem is one thing, recovering from it is another. Addiction is a complex problem and that treatment and recovery is essential. There is no single treatment or method that can work to everybody. Though, the decision to stop it is the most important step, it doesn't stop there. The commitment to work through that decision is as important.
  20. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Absolutely. The decision and commitment should always be there, walking hand in hand.

I hope your cousin would be able to realize these things and be able to recover from his addiction soon.