An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

A Matter of Willpower

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by anne16, Apr 9, 2015.

1. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think a person's willpower is a key part of being able to quit any drug. While most people, well I did anyway, need other reasons and incentives to give up, willpower is the main thing you'll need to stay on track.

Support from others is key but in the end its you yourself that needs to be in control of the drug, not the other way round and that is where your willpower comes in.
  2. anne16

anne16 Active Contributor

I believe so too. There are a lot of other things that may help a person in his way to overcoming an addiction. Medical intervention, therapy, and yes support of family and friends do lay a part in the process of recovery.
  3. For some people they can quit when they want, but those seem to be few. I can honestly say that at one time I had a 2 gram a day habit for 6 mths. My boys were visiting their grandmother for the summer. The were in Maine and I was in Florida. The day they got home on the way to pick them up, I asked God to help me and threw 1 1/2 grams out the car window and never looked back. The temptation has been there a few times but thanks to the grace of God and a strong willpower. I quit. I hope your cousin can find that kind of strength. Addiction to anything is not easy..Good luck.
  4. Smarty

Smarty Active Contributor

I don't think there is really any limitation to what a person's mind and strong will can achieve. History knows all cases of people dealing with it on their own... though with a lot more effort, a lot more struggle than if guided by a professional. The case with your friend is however not as simple as that because you can never know if he will be one of the good exceptions or one of the bad examples. He says "I can if I want to." How can he possibly know that? Perhaps it will be useful to confront him... If he hasn't stopped, that means he doesn't want to. Why don't you ask him why?
  5. Smarty

Smarty Active Contributor

I want to add something. I think that in order to defeat an addiction, you need to replace it with something else. For example, playing games is cool and fun but when you realize it takes too much of your time and attention so you can't do the other things you want properly, you start thinking about it and you might be much more willing to stop. A common mistake is trying to focus on NOT doing something. On the contrary, experience shows that it's much more effective if you try to DO something else which is more valuable to you.
  6. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84 Senior Contributor

I think that is the addicts motto, it can be done as many people quit with nothing but willpower but as you mentioned, the person needs to want to quit. If they do not want to, then they simply will not quit.
  7. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

I think that you have to have willpower to stop taking drugs but you also need more than willpower. Willpower is huge but its not enough sometimes.
  8. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Actually it requires willpower, if someone really wants to quit they will find the way. The problem is that not many addcits want to quit, some are too comfortable the way things are, maybe because they can't see the bigger picture, they just don't care or are running away from something.

So odds are he can actually quit when he wants to or he is just saying that just to say it without really meaning it, as a way to relieve some pressure whenever you or your family might start talking about it.