An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

A Mother's Sacrifice

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Loved One' started by gracer, May 5, 2015.

1. gracer

gracer Community Champion

My cousin used to have an addicted son. She knew he badly needed help because she just can't contain him after all the talks and pleas she had with him. Painful as it was for her, she knew she had to bring her son to rehab for his own sake. It was very painful for her when the rehab workers arrived at their house and took her son. She cried as she saw her son crying and pleading not to bring him in. I told her to be strong and let her son go. She would go to all the family activities the rehab center offered for them. Her overwhelming support helped her son all throughout rehab.

Now my cousin no longer has an addicted son. She now has a very sober son with a wife and two kids to take care of. He never went back to taking drugs anymore and is now focusing on his own family's welfare.

This story shows how an overwhelming love and support from the people you love can actually pull you out of your addiction. The genuine love my cousin showed her son helped him walk through the dark path towards a better and brighter life.
    light likes this.
  2. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Genuine love is mother's love and that could really helped a child changed. Good to know that their story had a happy ending. It is a very hard thing for a mother to see her kid suffering from any kind of addition and will do her best to change the situation if she truly loves her child.
    gracer likes this.
  3. gracer

Very well said @zaerine. :) Love can do wonders to a person who uses it well and it showed with how my cousin handled her son. I actually admire her for her bravery. If she hadn't been that brave to watch her son be taken away for rehab then their story wouldn't have had a happy ending.
  4. ella

ella Member

I am a mother and I can't imagine having to ask people from the rehab to take my son away from me. It's sad but it's the kind of sacrifice one must do to change the life of someone you love. Mothers are the unsung heroes of the world. They should be more appreciated and celebrated.

Oh and happy mothers day to all moms in here :)
    gracer likes this.
  5. Charli

Charli Community Champion

It's great that your cousin chose a solution and stuck with it. I think a lot of people fall into traps of making excuses because actually making better decisions takes a bit more effort and dedication, so it really is refreshing to hear of some other people who are able to rise above it all.
    gracer likes this.
  6. gracer

@ella Happy mother's day to you and all the mothers out there! :) It's such a coincidence because you have the same name as the cousin I was actually talking about. She's really one admirable woman because it takes a lot of courage to see your son be literally taken away from you and she had that characteristic. At least her sacrifice paid off in the end because her son is now totally sober.

@Charli You're absolutely right. Better decisions require more effort which definitely will give a big reward in the end. Only a few people are willing to take that risk but these kind of people are usually the ones who experience success in the long run.
  7. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Thanks for sharing! I'm glad to hear things went well for your cousin and her son, I always feel glad when I read this kind of success stories. Mostly because things don't go so well the first time around, glad to hear this one was different and went so well.

He now knows he has a life ahead of him and a beautiful family to take care of. Good for him :) kudos to the mom for having the guts to do what she did as well, as a mother it must have been so hard when the rehab workers came and took him.
    gracer likes this.
  8. smartmom

smartmom Senior Contributor

Sometimes we have to just let them go. We love our children and our loved ones but they will kill us if we allow them to stress us enough. It is not easy but if we think long term then we will be able to let go easier. This type of thing is never easy but we as parents must learn to do what is best for our children. Sometimes they will get themselves into things they can not get themselves out of.
    gracer likes this.
  9. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

There is nothing to compare to the love coming from a parent for their children. And as a mother it is really very hard to accept when the child you carry in your womb and the one you gave life and had taken care of had been into the wrong path like addiction to any toxic substances. Its nice to hear your cousin despite of all the worries for her son had firmly decided to take him out of the house for a rehab. I know no mother do not want to be away from her child in agonizing moments like that. But congratulations!!! and the fruits of your sacrifices for your son bear a harvest of love and happiness now in your family.
    gracer likes this.
  10. gracer

Such beautiful words! :) It's true! It's so hard to see your child whom you have nurtured for months in your womb suffer addiction. If you could only take all your child's pains and struggles and bear them yourself, you would if you're a mother. The bond that has connected you from womb until birth is incomparable to any other bond so when your child goes into the wrong path, you feel his/her burden all the more.
    ReadmeByAmy likes this.
  11. ReadmeByAmy

@gracer thank you for liking my post. We all know that the love of a mother is endless and shows no boundaries for their children. A child is the most beautiful gift and the best blessing from God a mother could receive. That is why it will be not that easy to accept and to deal with this kind of situation. But a mother can always sacrifice and feel not hopeless for the life of their child.
    gracer likes this.
  12. gracer

I like how you describe a mother's love as something which is endless and boundless. I can sense that you're also a mom just like me. :) When I became a mom, that's when I realized how great a person could love someone with no limits or requirements. Now I understand how my cousin felt when she had to watch her son go into addiction and struggle with it. A mother with great love for her child can never afford to see him/her hurting or going into the wrong path.
    ReadmeByAmy likes this.
  13. ReadmeByAmy

@gracer Yes, it is absolutely true. When you become a mother already you will realized all of these things and you will also do the same for the sake of love for your children.
    gracer likes this.
  14. light

light Active Contributor

Thank you so much for sharing with us this success story that can motivate other mums. It’s very inspiring and admirable the persistence that this woman has showed. She deserved to see her son sober again, this pays off her painful experience. A sincere love coming from the heart of the woman who gave you life is able to make miracles, but also it is needed persistence and patience in facing such an uphill battle.
    deanokat likes this.