An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

A nephew's x girlfriend died of an overdose

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by L_B, Dec 20, 2015.

1. L_B

L_B Community Champion

She was 38 years old. I am not sure what drugs she was taking but she went to bed and never woke up. She just became a grandmother a few days before. I always liked her. She was a really nice person but she was messed up from a very young age. Her Dad was a drug dealer/addict and spent a lot of time in jail. They grew up in that life. She had a brother who died three years ago of a drug overdose. It is very sad to see a live ended this way.
  2. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Active Contributor

Ouch, that sucks to hear. Especially considering she became a grandma a few days earlier. Her family very likely a large role in her addiction and eventual decline. It's sad she didn't have someone to help her out of drug addiction.
  3. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

So sorry for your lose @L_B, it's hard to understand when someone has departed the way she did despite we could be aware of drug abuse or a pre-existing condition leading to death.

However she didn't suffer, and her spirit is probably ignoring that she has passed, so while people say departed ones are always by our side, I tend to imagine that people who makes the transition while sleeping has to be closer. Still hurting, specially when another member passed previously due to overdose, but remember that your grandchild is now the person who needs you more, keep a place in your heart for those who have gone, but shine on for your new little one.
  4. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Sorry to know about that. So true that it is hard to deal with such kind of lost and hope that the family is doing just fine. Sad that she had to experienced those in her life and was not able to overcome addiction.
  5. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Thank you everybody. I wish she had gotten the help she needed but she never really thought she had a problem. It was the life she lived from a very young age and I guess in her mind it was normal for her. She didn't know any difference. I only hope that the rest of her family get the help they need to get away from this lifestyle, especially now that they lost two family members to overdoses.
  6. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I'm sorry to hear about that loss, @L_B. Addiction is such an awful disease, and it's claiming way too many lives. My deepest condolences go out to everyone affected by this woman's death. May God watch over her family and keep them safe.
  7. kgord

kgord Community Champion

That is horrible. I can't imagine what it must be like for the family to lose someone so young. I am glad that we don't have a strong history of drug addiction in my family...Almost everyone lives to a ripe, old age. This is how it should I be I think. I am sorry for your friend and the family
    deanokat likes this.
  8. Dwayneu

Dwayneu Community Champion

I am sorry to hear that. I am sure she was a wonderful woman, but unfortunately she was gripped by this terrible problem, and because of the environment that she was brought up in too.
    My thoughts go out to all who are struggling with the same, and may they have better fate.
    deanokat likes this.
  9. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

My heart goes out to the family. I know people who dream of being grandparents and this woman was a grandparent for only a few days. I lost my grandmother due to cancer so I know how it feels to lose a grandma. It also sucks that being around drugs was normal for her being she has grown up around it.
  10. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Active Contributor

Ouch, I'm sorry for your loss. It really sucks that this recent causality was heavily caused by the circumstances she grew up in, and there was no-one to help her out of it.
  11. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Thanks everybody. I attended her wake and funeral and it was very heartbreaking. Her children were devastated. I will keep them all in my prayers as they move forward in their lives without her. May she rest in peace.
    deanokat likes this.
  12. Juanpeace

Juanpeace Active Contributor

I am sorry for your loss @L_B I am sure it is tough for her family as well. It is just sad to hear that she endured growing up exposed to drugs and ended the way it did. We may question the If's and But's and what may have been, but then it is over. What the living can do is preserve her memory and learn from her experience and probably share some thoughts if ever we encounter others in a similar situation.
  13. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

Hit me right in the gut. Sorry that you had to experience that. Also sorry to hear that it seems like the deceased wasn't able to find the help that she needed :(
  14. mayasupernova

mayasupernova Active Contributor

A very sad story. I am sorry when I hear young people die, especially from overdose, or having to do with some addiction. Living in such a family and surrounding should have been a good reason for her to get away from it a long time ago. Pity she did not see how harmful that was and she did not try to find any help.
  15. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

It is very sad to see a life ended that way. Especially when she already had a brother who died the same way. I wish more people would get help as soon as they can.
  16. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I join all who expressed their regret for a life gone too soon. The ravages of addiction sadden me. The fact that families are so terribly affected should really cause many to make different choices. Too often we live what we see. Sad series of events L_B. Remain well yourself as we keep all of you in our thoughts and prayers.
    deanokat likes this.
  17. Apollo545

Apollo545 Active Contributor

I am very sorry to hear that. I lost my aunt to drug abuse as well (Prescription Pain medication) and it really is a terrible waste to see people with so much potential waste away due to drug abuse. The best thing that we can do is raise awareness and promote a lifestyle of sober living so other people don't have to go through the same pain that we feel. Hang in there! :(
  18. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Sometimes it is too late already before an addict may realize the bad effects it had brought to their lives. Like what had happened to the woman in your story maybe if she had been enlighten as early she can recover from her addiction and is still alive. That is why we are the ones who are making our own life journey in this world. Sending my prayers for the peace of her soul.
  19. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I wonder how her dad feels about her death? He'd need to have the emotional sensibility of a potato not to feel at least a bit guilty over the fact he was a dealer and his kids ended up dying of overdoses. I'm not saying he might have directly linked to this, ie: pushing on his own kids (I hope to good he didn't actually), but to the fact that when you grow up in that environment not ending up being a drug addict id so hard.
  20. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Thanks everybody for your kind words and comments. She was always so happy and positive but may only have been a front. I choose to remember her that way. I am not sure how her Dad deals. He is a terrible man who is disliked by manner. I wonder sometimes if he even has a conscience. He started doing drugs with his kids when they were young teenagers. I hope this is something that her remaining siblings and young adult children learn from.
    Winterybella and deanokat like this.