An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

A New Beginning

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by portraitofjs, Jun 16, 2015.

1. portraitofjs

portraitofjs Member

Hi everyone, glad I found this forum. I'm male, 25 years old, have been struggling with opioid addiction for about five years now. I'm at a point in my life where I'm really ready to get clean and feeling good about my future.

It all started for me in high school, when I was smoking weed and drinking. Occasionally I would get my hands on some Vicodin or Percocet - that stuff always made me feel GREAT, and I got it whenever I could, but didn't have regular access to it. After high school I stopped using any drugs for a while, but when I transferred to a community college near home, things got worse - I had regular access to oxy and started using heroin regularly.

After a year or so of constant oxy/heroin abuse, I finally started taking buprenorphine/suboxone. The next few years I was on and off suboxone and racked up several months of completely "clean" time after tapering off last time, before a horrible relapse. I am about to move to a new city to start the next phase of my life, and I think the change of environment is just what I need to finally stay sober.

Thanks for reading :)
  2. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Hi @portraitofjs :) Let me be the first to welcome you to the forum. Thank you so much for sharing us your story.

I am happy that you are starting a new chapter in your life right now. Moving to a new city and starting fresh is a good start for you. I commend you for deciding to take the leap and seek for a sober life. You will find many good-hearted people in this forum who will also encourage and congratulate you for your effort in beating your addiction.

Don't hesitate to come back often and update us on your situation. :)
  3. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Portraitofjs, welcome to the forum. I am happy you decided to join us. I am not even familiar with most of the drugs you mentioned but am familiar with the words "new beginning" and those words are like music to my ears. I am really happy for you and wish you all the best in the road ahead.
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@portraitofjs... Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your decision to get clean. You have taken the first step to a better, healthier life.

Are you still using now? Or are you clean? If you're using, what are you taking and what are your plans for stopping?

I think moving to a new city and being in a completely new environment will definitely help you with your recovery. I wish you nothing but success. Please know that we are here to support and help you in any way we can. We're glad you're here!
  5. portraitofjs

portraitofjs Member

@deanokat, I am on a low dose of buprenorphine now, prescribed to me by a doctor. I am lowering my dose and would like to stop taking it soon, but my health and stability comes first - I will do it carefully under a doctor's supervision. I'm glad there are so many people here who want to support one another - finding this community will definitely be helpful to me in recovery.
  6. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

That's great, @portraitofjs! By all means, your health and stability should be a top priority. So glad you're doing this under a doctor's supervision. Keep us up to date on how it's going. Sending positive vibes your way!
  7. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. The good news is that you're still young and it's possible to make the necessary changes with a bit of effort. I was also close to your age when I decided to come clean from my MDMA addiction. A change of environment will surely help but also ensure that you've got supportive people around you, during your journey to recovery.
    deanokat likes this.
  8. Jenga

Jenga Active Contributor

Hey there portraitofjs! Im really happy to hear that you're already on the road to recovery! I say road, because its still a while before you're safe. Please try your absolute best to stay clear of any sorts of temptations.

I don't have much experience with opiates so I can only imagine your experience. Thank you for sharing your story. Stay strong <3
    deanokat likes this.
  9. JessiFox

JessiFox Active Contributor

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear about your struggles but I hope this change of environment will indeed be just the thing you need. Be conscious of the people you surround yourself with and the kind of places you allow yourself to end up, there will always be temptation regardless of where you are but there are also resources to avoid it. Best of luck to you with your move and staying clean :).
    deanokat likes this.