An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

A Person I Used To Know

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by gracer, Mar 4, 2016.

1. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I just thought I'd share about the story of a person I once knew a long time ago. I used to date this guy who admittedly smoked Marijuana during that time. He said he used weed to experience what he calls a "laughing trip" so he would usually be laughing nonstop even if there was nothing funny at all when he was under the influence of Marijuana. He never tried smoking it in front of me though because I openly resented it.

One thing I've noticed with him was his violent behavior at times and his suicidal ways especially during those times when I would try breaking it up with him. That's why I'm very thankful to have found the courage one day to finally end our relationship even if he would tell me he would commit suicide. Luckily too, he never did kill himself so I guess he just used suicide as his way of trying to manipulate me to not leave him.

I don't know how he's doing right now because I've completely cut out any way of ever communicating with him. I was actually traumatized with my relationship with him so just thinking about him even up to this day gives me the shivers.

I'm just so glad I've finally gotten away from him and I am now with a very loving husband and our wonderful kid.
    Winterybella likes this.
  2. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I'm glad to hear that things worked out for you, your decision to move away from him was the correct decision both for you and for him. Your friend sounds like he had sever mental problems and was using the marijuana to coupe with them.
    gracer and deanokat like this.
  3. kgord

kgord Community Champion

You can never manipulate a person into staying with you, it will only work for a short term so I think yes, it is good you got away. It is important to make sure that you do the right things for yourself. I think that a dysfunctional relationship like this can never work out, plus you don't know what the person is like without intoxicants.
    gracer likes this.
  4. gracer

I also believe that this person had pre-existing problems even before he began using Marijuana. He had issues with his dad not being present during his growing up years so he might have used weed as a way of rebelling against his dad. I don't know if he ever used other substances too but it could have been possible that he also used other types of drugs other than smoking weed.
  5. Kyler

Kyler Active Contributor

Wow, that is really shocking but I am so glad you made the right decision for your life :) I mean the fact that you've experienced that in the past, you could share it with others so that others would be inspired and not make the same decisions you have made before, you can show them an insight to how they should live their life and not be afraid to letting a person go or something. Very proud of people like you :)
    gracer likes this.
  6. Joethefirst

This is very true it will only work for a while before the person sees what is going on. Fortunately you saw that early on and did something about it.
    gracer likes this.
  7. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Glad to read you are doing well now, sometimes letting go of an awful relationship seems really hard, but once you do you do realize that was the best decision you could ever make. Kudos to you, now you have your reward :) It's important to know when it's time to walk away, but very few people actually do or if they do sometimes they don't act on it.
    gracer likes this.
  8. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

@gracer, I am happy to hear that this person is a now in your past and that you are in a healthy relationship. I've seen that aggression you spoke about in a particular person I've know in the past and it left me thinking that weed smokers do exhibit very aggressive behaviour. It's been argued otherwise and many say it's that the person is prone to that kind of behaviour even without the weed. Whatever the case it can be so ugly and frightening and I am glad you were able to escape that. I still pray he found help.
    gracer likes this.
  9. mauricioq

mauricioq Member

I'm not sure marijuana made him that way, I'm more sure he was already like that. Marijuana can change the mood of one person yes, but it can't change the personality.
    gracer likes this.
  10. gracer

Thank you so much for your words Winterybella. :) My relationship with this person has indeed been an ugly and frightening one. You know, even if I already ended up my relationship with him years ago, it really took a long time for me to be able to recover psychologically. There were times even when I was already married that I would still dream about him hunting me down and I would wake up afraid and shaking. Up to this day I still can't imagine myself bumping into him anytime because I just don't want to see him anymore. I think that's the deep scar he has caused me.
  11. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

You are welcome. That's exactly what I was thinking. People don't sometimes understand the damage they inflict and the scars they leave behind. I just found this quote that says "From every wound there is a scar, and every scar tells a story. A story that says I survived". We survived!
    gracer likes this.
  12. Joethefirst

I had a very similar experience with a friend of mine, but it didn't go as far as it did in your case. This wasn't such a long time ago but I still find myself thinking about her. People that have psychological problems and try to cure themselves with marijuana on their own can really leave a lasting impact. Most often a negative one.
    gracer likes this.
  13. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

I am glad that you were able to recognize the fact that this relationship was headed in the wrong direction and that you were able to cut off ties with this person. Causing you to feel guilty so that you would not leave him is very cruel. I hope that he was able to get the help he so desperately needed. It is no excuse to treat people badly just because you have not gotten over the fact that your father or mother was not in the picture when you were growing up. I am sorry that you were traumatized by him and am glad that you now have a loving husband and family.
    gracer likes this.
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Good to know that you were able to get away with such kind of relationship. Sometimes you just need to have the courage to let go or get rid of those who will just harm you. Nice to know about your happy family.
    gracer likes this.