An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

A practical solution to smart phone addiction

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Damien Lee, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

There are several threads on here about the addictive nature of smart phones. It's clear as daylight that these phones are highly addictive to a large number of people and it may be a growing problem.

One solution that is not often discussed is how to make do without a smart phone. After all, many people do need to communicate with others for work and personal reasons. If a feature-rich smart phone is not required for professional reasons, then it's best to downgrade to a normal mobile phone.

This may sound crazy in a world that is moving forward, technologically. However, one needs to take into account how much of their lives they are wasting away by being so constantly engaged with their smart phones. I'm pretty sure that most folks are not doing anything productive with these. Most of the time is spent on checking Facebook updates, streaming videos, playing around with apps and taking selfies.

A bog-standard mobile phone doesn't have much in the way of features. In fact, they are terribly boring when compared to smart phones. Which is actually great, as one has less things to distract them and can go out and enjoy the day. Live in the moment as one is supposed to, without having the need to constantly check their phone and what is going on in the internet.
    singingintherain likes this.
  2. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I must admit that I am one who spends way too much time on my smartphone. I do not get involved very much on Facebook or those other social media platforms, but I am constantly working on my smart phone, and doing research. There are times when hours go by and I do not even realize it. It is much worse now that I make money doing some online work. It is hard to remember a time when I did not need a cell phone to survive.
    Damien Lee likes this.
  3. L_B

L_B Community Champion

My daughter drives me crazy with her phone. We can't even have a conversation without her texting on her phone. I swear she never hears anything that I say. I will tell her something and then two days later she will call me and turn around and tell me the same thing or ask me about something I already told her about. She never puts her phone down. She is not the only one though, everywhere you look people are texting. It is a crazy world that we live in!
    Damien Lee likes this.
  4. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I only am glued to my smartphone when it has internet access, when it doesn't then I don't really bother with it. It's ok to spend a couple of hours using it, but if it already interferes with their daily lives then that's already considered as an addiction.
    Damien Lee likes this.
  5. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I had one of those phones for five years, until I finally bought myself a smartphone. I don't see what's the hype around them, to be honest. I personally got bored of it pretty easily.

And about your solution, it seems a pretty good one. Of course, people should have the power to replace their phones with old ones, ha, ha.
    Damien Lee likes this.
  6. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yeah some people are just prone to things like this. There is a lot more to life than this. It is a new kind of addiction compared to drugs. People with no self control tend to be problematic. No impulse control. Certainly one can determine a great deal about a person with how they relate to technology. There is something unhealthy about it. If you can take it or leave it, this shows good human relations. Noticing that there are more important things in life.
    Damien Lee likes this.
  7. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Q
    Well, I don't have a smartphone to get addicted to. I did, but lost it! Phones are some of the things that can be addictive in nature. it is one of the things that you can make certain that you can live without. Alhough, it might be helpful to have a smartphone, it is something you can live without. Connecting with other people in the real world is better than a smartphone anytime.
  8. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

I totally agree with you. It's far better to connect with others in the real world and build meaningful relationships. Most of the people we meet online whether we use a computer, smart phone or tablet will never be our real friends. The internet is a great place to do some research and to buy or sell products/services but can never replace the human need for genuine contact with others.
  9. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I am on my smartphone a lot, but most of it is not texting and chatting on the phone, but by making money. We really need the money right now and so every penny helps out. This is a good way to use a smartphone device because you are trying to better your own circumstances.
  10. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I have another basic phone just for texting. So sometimes, when we go out and have a family bonding, I leave the smart phone behind. I just use the basic phone in case an emergency arises or if I need to communicate with a family member. I think this is a good solution as you don't end up being focused on your smartphone. I see many families nowadays that are out in a restaurant but are barely talking to one another. They're just focused on their phones or gadgets.
  11. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Although I do have a smartphone, I can't stand the way people expect you to be instantly contactable because of it. So it stays in my handbag and is only retrieved when it rings. Yes, they are convenient but part of me thinks they are much more trouble than they are worth.
  12. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

Yep, I came to the same conclusion a while ago. I haven't bothered getting a smart phone because I know I would use it constantly. I have a similar problem with my laptop - working at home certainly doesn't help - but at least with the laptop my usage isn't quite so strictly monitored as with a phone. I'd be too tempted to use a smart phone while I was out, which would not only cut me off from everybody else, but it would regularly destroy my monthly bill. An old pay as you go works just fine.
  13. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I seldom use my smartphone as I usually use my computer. I can actually go out forgetting my phone and not being online until I come home. I think better to avoid using gadgets when out and if not necessary especially if in a vacation.
  14. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I use my smartphone to play a game or check my emails and do some texting, but not to the point where I would be addicted and use the, phone to try and get away from things happening around me and keep an eye on the time. I do use it for some online work in the evenings or at night which is when I am relaxed and in this world, people are getting busy even though they stay in the house yet are distant from each other due to this. I reckon it is important to try and do better things, which can make a person more relaxed and also the person can do more in their life when they don't use the phone.
  15. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

I must admit before I spent more time using my smartphone but now not anymore. I am using my time wisely now on other things like working online at the same time I am earning rather than spend time searching to different apps on my smartphone.
    Coolkidhere likes this.
  16. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I think this is one practical solution. Instead of wasting my time on Facebook or other social media sites, I searched for jobs online. And so I found my way into earning while on my gadget or phone. It's very convenient and also practical. And I think the more people found out about this, the more that they will spend time on earning money online.
  17. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I agree it seemed like we were more in touch with the real world before smart phones. Smartphones can be really useful in some situations. Smartphones have really good GPS systems if you get lost. One thing about smartphones is they can distract you if your supposed to be doing something important tho. I think you just have to limit how much you use it for facebook games and being on the internet, in order not to be addicted by them.
  18. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I don't even have a cell phone and I get along just fine. I've never felt the need to be as connected as people seem to want to be today, so I've never owned a cell phone. And yes, I have running water and electricity. ;)
  19. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

Unfortunately I need to have my smartphone for work (I'm on call 24/7 as I have a team on both sides of the world to look after) but I totally confess I spend a lot of my time not doing work with it!

I found that I was looking through Facebook far too often a few months ago. There wasn't anything new that I was looking at, and a lot of the posts just frustrated me (I have lovely friends but their online presence can be awful!). I still need Facebook for work as some of my staff contact me via it. Instead of deleting the app I moved it to a folder on the second screen on my phone. I stopped clicking on it absentmindedly and instead only clicked on it when I actually wanted/needed to.

Hopefully that is a helpful solution for others too!
    missbishi likes this.
  20. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I find Facebook to be pretty dreadful too. Don't get me wrong, I love my friends in person but some of the misinformed drivel they post is beyond belief. So I just don't look at it anymore. This means I'm only really using my phone for calls, texts or GPS. That's fine by me.
    singingintherain likes this.