An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

A question about peer pressure

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by ohno, May 22, 2015.

1. ohno

ohno Member

Has anyone been against alcohol and pressured into it?

I hate the taste of alcohol, every single kind if ever tried. I don't plan on this changing. Even the fruitiest least amount of alcohol in drinks, still I'd pass.

However everyone seems to think this is not the case. They think I just haven't adapted to the taste. Why should I have to adapt to something gross?

I am fine not drinking. I get to always be DD and I'm not mad about it. But I've noticed people don't want to take no for an answer.

Has anyone been in a similar spot? How did it turn out for you?
  2. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I also do not like drinking alcoholic drinks and sometimes being pressured too by peers. But I am firm in saying No and if they will ask why, I would say that I do not like the taste and I will not force myself to like it. Most of my friends do not drink as well so, that pressure/force very seldom happens.
  3. felicitybebe

felicitybebe Member

As a young adult, who is two years below the legal drinking age, there have been many times at parties when I have felt pressured to drink even if I didn't particularly want to. Rather the pressure was coming from friends who wanted me to look "cool" at the party or it was an older guy who acted like I was ruining the party if i didn't participate; the pressure was always on me to drink. After I took the time to realize that people like this aren't people I need to associate with it was too late. By the age of sixteen I was drinking, and smoking cigarettes on a daily basis. Shortly after, I began smoking pot because I, once again, had older friends telling me I wasn't cool if I didn't participate. Peer pressure can definitely bring on a lot of personal issues that you didn't have before.
  4. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

To be fair, you can adapt to the taste, but that's besides the point. When I started drinking as a teen I didn't need any peer pressure; a chance to get intoxicated was always welcomed in my book. That, and I can't say I'd hang out with people who don't like booze-free me for me.
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

No, I can't say I was ever pressured into drinking alcohol as a teen either and I can't recall any instances where anyone I knew had been. I certainly never heard anyone be called "uncool" for not participating - but then again, the smokers and the drinkers of the school generally kept themselves to themselves.
  6. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I can't say I despised alcohol per se, but at the age I started, I was quite afraid my parents would know what I was doing after all, and that I didn't need to listen to others. At that age I did overthink a lot of things and my reasoning often saved me from embarassing situations, but I can't say I didn't want to know how alcohol felt like in my mouth... and this is how I got into alcohol. Now I'm not drinking anymore, but in the past .. oh, man.
  7. trevermorgana

trevermorgana Active Contributor

I personally was never pressured but I did see people being pressured into it. I think people who act that way and don't respect your decisions might not be good to be around too much. I can see how a person could be torn between not wanting to disappoint but stand ground. Just be yourself and if you think no then its no.
    CallipygianGamine likes this.
  8. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Contributor

When I was in college, my close friends had sort of forced me into drinking. We went to dinner then proceeded to a bar. It was an all girl's night out so I had no choice but to drink. From what I remember, it was Margarita, the one with the salt in the rim of the glass. It seems like I still remember the taste. But mind you, I am not against drinking if done moderately although I do not relish drinking myself.
    Sudarsan likes this.
  9. Onionman

Onionman Active Contributor

I think a lot of us at some point in our lives have been pressured into drinking. I grew up in the UK and at school played a lot of rugby. As sports go, it's one of the most macho, beer-drinking ones out there. So there was pressure to drink to celebrate, to commiserate and even as an initiation into the team. I was fine with it all but there were definitely some that struggled with it all. Looking back on it, it wasn't a nice foundation for a young man.
  10. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I was pressured into drinking once.

I was about 17 at that time. There's this old man who I'd helped do a thing or two and one day he grabs my arm and tells me he had something nice for me. Drags me to his house and pours me a drink. Told him I didn't drink but he was very persistent. I thought if it meant so much for him I'd "just indulge" him.

It's then that I learned I had an alcohol allergy and since then I've never tasted alcohol.
  11. henry

henry Community Champion

I've never done anything I didn't want to do, when it comes to alcohol and drugs. To be honest, non-drinking people should try to hang out with non-drinking friends. Why do I say this? Because we drinkers know it's kind of a drag hanging out with someone who doesn't drink. It feels like a parent is watching over you. I've always been tagged as a bad influence since I was in school, but I never pressured anyone to do anything they didn't want to. I just did my thing, and if anyone wanted to join me, it was fine by me.
  12. Miaka_M

Miaka_M Active Contributor

When I was in highschool my close friends threw a party. I had no idea that they would sneak alcohol into the house and they were trying to force me to drink it. I stood up and said no. I myself do not drink, and I'm also happy just on my own without it. It won't make me happier as I am already quite content with my life. After that day I never spoke to them again. They were sober when they were pressuring me and they knew my values, so why would I surround myself with people like that, right?
  13. I think everyone has been peer pressured at some point or another. I definitely have been, not too strongly though. I am ashamed to say I gave in to most of it. I've been at a party where everyone was like "oh come on just drink" and I did. Or in a car with people smoking and it was "oh come on just smoke". Now when I hear "oh come on just..." I don't listen of course.
  14. superbobby

superbobby Active Contributor

I was pressured into drinking when I was young and I remember that it tasted awful. Drinking and socializing is hard to separate in our traditions and you will eventually enjoy the drink as much as you enjoy socializing. What is important is that there is self control when it comes to drinking. You need to know how to stop and become a responsible drinker.
  15. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

Peer pressure is daunting, especially on young minds. They alienate and taunt people who don't drink and dub them as milk babies. Even the strong-willed sometimes fall into the trap and substance abuse takes roots. Workshops should be conducted to young students and make them aware of drug trap and enlighten them about the catastrophic consequences of peer pressure.
  16. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

If you don't like it then don't drink it. Simple as that. The only way they can make you drink it is if the shove it down your throat with a tube or funnel.
  17. Sudarsan

Sudarsan Active Contributor

I think the worst thing in the world is when a person who doesn’t want to consume alcohol is pressurized to drink. And, I know how hard it is for a teenager who’s in the midst of physical and emotional changes, to be influenced to drink just so that he can adjust to his friend circle. For the ones who drink, it’s not a big deal. In fact, it’s fun to make an innocent guy drink in front of everyone. But for the innocent guy himself, it’s a really big deal. Just imagine if your parents are strictly against alcohol, and you come at home one day drenched in alcohol. Your t-shirt stinks of a nasty combination of alcohol and sweat, your eyes are all red, and you can’t speak a single word without letting the listener frown because you are breathing out alcohol.

I’ve been in similar situations before and have regretted. My parents have grounded me multiple times. But most importantly, I lost my good boy image. So after some years, I quit it. And since then, I have learnt to say a big NO to my friends!
  18. dmathon

dmathon Member

When I was in high school it became a huge ordeal, everyone drank. I wasn't into it though, I tried it once and hated the taste. My old friends said I needed to try different things, or just adapt to the taste, but I chose not too. I realized then that I had no problem going out and being a designated driver. I don't need to drink to have fun, and if they don't accept no then they aren't friends I need in my life. It wasn't a hard decision for me which I am very thankful for, but I hope that everyone takes it as a simple question. And chooses what is best for them, whichever path that may be!
  19. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I’m somewhat embarrassed to admit this happened to me somewhat recently. The thing is, when I was younger, drinking was a little more a matter of curiosity, then I ended up liking certain drinks… and going overboard. So I decided I had to stop. But then I dated someone who insisted that it was “silly” for me to rule out so many varieties of alcohol I hadn’t yet tried. :/ I never went overboard, but that doesn’t change the fact I let myself be manipulated into going against my own choice, just because I wanted to like someone. At least I realized what was going on. So now, not only have I rid myself of that person, I’ve re-established my boundaries and I won’t give in like that again.
  20. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84 Senior Contributor

I think that when I was drinking I did not need peer pressure as I was the one who probably started off the festivities but afterwards I got a lot of pressure to have a drink but I never gave in, I thought about it a few times but I then thought about what I had gone through and all of the hard work I had put in to quit and that was what kept me going.