An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

A socially acceptable drink

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Deeishere, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Deeishere

Deeishere Active Contributor

Do you think it’s hard on people who are addicted to alcohol to watch certain programs? A lot of movies and TV series seem to promote the use of alcohol. I can only imagine trying to quit and having a struggle with watching certain programs. For instance, one of my favorite series was Downton Abby. It seem to gain a big following in America. On the show they had alcohol constantly.
  2. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

Well, I guess for those who are trying to quit it could be a problem which should mean they stay away from TV because of the shows and commercials.

I have never really noticed alcohol consumption on Downton Abbey but now you mention it, they consume it in a rather sophisticated way you wouldn't even notice.
  3. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I never really watched that particular show, but certainly other programs that I've seen on TV seem to show drinking like it's nothing at all...same goes for some movies, and some songs - just promoting it like it's a fun lifestyle. I think maybe it's worse for people that haven't started drinking yet (young people, especially) because it makes me think that they might see it as 'normal' or accepted or encouraged - and that's not the vibe I think we should be sending out,
  4. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Active Contributor

I personally think that if it ever happens to anyone it is because the level of addiction is pretty freaking high and I do not think that a person with that lvl of addiction would have enough willpower to do something like watch a movie, that is my opinion though.
  5. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

If someone find it uneasy to watch movies or shows with alcohol drinking on it, better to avoid those. Until the time that you can watch it and not get affected to it or be influenced by it. Right that drinking alcoholic beverages is labeled as a normal thing in most of the societies.
  6. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

It can certainly be difficult to see alcohol in shows and movies. I would guess it depends entirely on the context. If they are having fun drinking alcohol, it can certainly be difficult for an alcoholic to see that.
  7. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Having had a drink problem myself in the past, for me it depends on the context of the show or movie I'm watching it in.

People drink all the time in shows and movies and it doesn't bother me, but I'll use this as an example...

Do we remember that show "cheers'? About the bar?...whenever I watched that I wanted to go to a bar and have a drink more than ever. It showed them drinking, having a laugh and a joke, everyone knew each other and I missed that whole camaraderie of drinking.

It's not so much the alcohol itself I missed, but the atmosphere that went with it, and even now I've not found anything that made me relax and enjoy myself as much as what having a couple of beers in the bar with my friends did.
  8. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I think it depends on the person and how much control he has on his cravings. when I was trying to quit drinking and smoking, it was okay for me to see alcohol and cigarettes on movies and series. Even in person. It didn't bother me at all to see other people smoking or drinking.
  9. henry

henry Community Champion

Yup, that's the way it works. It's better not to watch or hear anything that reminds you of your addiction, because it will definitely trigger your craving. It's not like you have to start watching Christian shows or listening to Christian music. Just try to stay away from the stuff that promotes alcohol the most.
  10. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

It definitely can be a major trigger for some. I knew an alcoholic that told me that even if he sees a beer bottle in front of him, it really hits him hard. Then he has to fight the urge because if he even has a sip of it, he knows it's all downhill from there. This isn't the case for all, but for some, it is definitely an issue.
  11. henry

henry Community Champion

It's like if you had no money and were starving. Every time you see someone walk by eating something, your stomach automatically starts to growl reminding you just how hungry you are.