An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

A socially acceptable drink

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Deeishere, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Deeishere

Deeishere Active Contributor

Do you think it’s hard on people who are addicted to alcohol to watch certain programs? A lot of movies and TV series seem to promote the use of alcohol. I can only imagine trying to quit and having a struggle with watching certain programs. For instance, one of my favorite series was Downton Abby. It seem to gain a big following in America. On the show they had alcohol constantly.
    kassie1234 likes this.
  2. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I would say that it definitely would. It would be the same with smoking, drugs or ever eating when you are trying to lose weight. When you watch TV these things are constantly shown. I find that they glorify drinking and drug use on some series which bother me. Not because I was ever an addict but because my husband struggles with addiction and I have lived the life. I find myself very uncomfortable when I am watching a show with him and these things come up.
    Deeishere likes this.
  3. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

YES! It's very hard for me... Anyways. When I was trying to stop drinking I couldn't watch Bar Rescue. It was torture for me. Also when I stop smoking pot (done this various times throughout my life) I can't watch movies or TV shows that are about pot, it's pure hell and I get easily irritated.
    Deeishere likes this.
  4. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

Oh, absolutely! I always want a beer when I watch workaholics and I have friends who can't watch Showtime's Shameless because they are always smoking on that show and they make it look so normal without any repercussions.
  5. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

This frustrates me a lot, actually - even just listening to music there's so many references to drinking being "fun", "cool" whatever...and no one really bats an eye (or perhaps even notices it in the lyrical content, many times).

I think maybe I notice it more than the average bear because of my past, and I just know how alcohol creeps in and can truly destroy lives, so I hate when it's marketed as this thing that gets parties going and all that stuff. And yes there's plenty of TV shows and movies that glamorize it all too.
  6. CryingCanary

CryingCanary Active Contributor

Oh God, yes. Something I do that's helpful to me is to searching for a 'trigger warning' list of the show/movie before I watch it. So I know what to expect.
  7. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Last year I had the intense desire to have a drink after watched a TV ad advertising some alcoholic drinks. I'm so glad they don't air that kind of ads as often as they did back in the 90's, back then they aired so many BACARDI ads... God, I'm not sure I'd be able to resist them.
  8. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

It really depends on the person. Some people with alcohol issues may think it's a big deal because they're reminded of what they went or are still going through. However, shows like Downtown Abbey aren't centered on substance abuse themes and alcohol is merely a passing ornament in the story to project a social scene or something to that effect.
  9. Deeishere

Deeishere Active Contributor

You know I wish that these shows would give us a warning label. You know how they do to let us know there is strong language or violence. They should do one for drinking, use of drugs etc. The only time I see this is when I am trying to look up a movie that is family friendly so I can watch with my kids. I check out certain reviews and they will tell us everything that could be considered negative in the movie.
    LoveEcho likes this.
  10. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

How about "Mad Men"? That show was constant alcohol and cigarettes. It made me uncomfortable to watch it sometimes. But that was life in the 1960s, for sure.
  11. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Of course this could be hard to watch. These are like things that trigger your habits. But it's really not just the shows, it could be commercials too. The best thing to do is avoid any thing that could trigger habits that your trying to break.
  12. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

I always check the "Parent's Guide" on IMdB.com
  13. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Active Contributor

I do not really thin kthat a program or a movie could make a person want to smoke/drink alcohol again, that would be kinda senselessfor me, maybe it all depends on the person and evertything like that, I just do not see it possible in my case.
  14. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

It depends on the situation occurring in the movie. If there is a scene where everyone is having a good time drinking, it can certainly be an issue. If it's just people having a drink around dinner, I don't think it would be much of an issue.
  15. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

The problem is the way the approach the topic. They are drinking tea and juices on set bet they way they drink and talk about drinking makes it appealing.