An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

A Steep Road

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by tytryi, Nov 9, 2014.

1. tytryi

tytryi Member

Hello, I'm new here and I'm excited to share my story about how I overcame my addiction to cigarettes.

I used to work as an accountant and smoking was a huge part of my life with the stress from overworking myself. Twenty years passed quite quickly, and one day I was having trouble breathing. I took a trip to the hospital, and soon enough, I understood how serious the issue was when they showed me the condition my lungs were in.

However, it didn't stop me from smoking, because I thought at that point, "I'm screwed anyways, so why bother?"

But I realized that my family was very much worried about my condition, and perhaps that was my biggest motivation to quit smoking.

I started by buying cigarette packs, smoking some, and throwing away the rest. Obviously it was a huge waste of money, but by throwing them away, it meant I didn't have any cigarettes to go back to "finish off".

It eventually came down to a point where I only smoked a single cig and threw away the entire pack, and all of a sudden, I didn't need it anymore!

From this experience, what I can say is that please talk to your loved ones and discuss the issue because they care about you, and you are hurting them by being oblivious to your addiction. Thanks for reading!
    Jen S. likes this.
  2. Juan

Juan Active Contributor

Welcome to the forum. And congratulations on overcoming your addiction! I was addicted to cigarettes as well, and one of the things that helped me get through was the love I have for my wife and family.

On a strange coincidence, Saturday night I was watching "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" and at the beginning of the movie, one of the main characters (played by Daniel Craig) buys a packet of cigarettes, lights one up and throws the rest of the packet away. And at the moment I though "that would be an interesting way to quit smoking". I can see that it works now :)
    tytryi likes this.
  3. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Thank you for sharing your story, tytryi, and welcome to the community :)
    tytryi likes this.
  4. SuphaflyUK

SuphaflyUK Member

Congrats on stopping smoking! I smoked for 8 years and only gave up 3 months ago. Although I have replaced it with vaping on my e-cig which helps.

Smoking killed my uncle and nearly killed another with a stroke. It scares me but when I was smoking I didnt care but now, having stopped, I do care and dont want to go back to the stuff.

Tbh I gave up by accident. It was actually during my last withdrawal. Feeling like hell already I didnt smoke for days, which turned into a week, then weeks and now months. It was a stroke of luck really!
    tytryi likes this.
  5. George T.

George T. Member

Interesting approach to quitting cigarettes. I've never heard of only smoking part of the pack and throwing the rest away. Just knowing that you were throwing away money must have helped in some way.

My addiction is to dip. I may give this approach a try.
    tytryi likes this.
  6. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Senior Contributor

I think you're cool, because you were brave enough to share what you have been through. I agree, thinking about your family really helps a lot during times like this. It's also nice to know that you are totally clean from cigarette, and I hope that this continues. Great job!
    tytryi likes this.
  7. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Thank you for sharing the story with us, I guess we all have something to learn. You are great for quitting smoking, don't ever smoke again, or the habit shall come back very easy, without you even realizing it. You might think, one cigarette or cigar won't kill me, but trust me, I've been there, after that "one" there will be more.
  8. XiaoDre

XiaoDre Active Contributor

I have to learn to put cigarettes down as well. I know the consequences of smoking them but I still choose to do it anyway. The main time I want cigarettes is when I am drinking because it is something about the taste of alcohol and cigarettes that just mesh well together. Now I must admit that I have stopped smoking cigarettes many times in the past but I would always start again because I would miss the taste of them. I want badly to stop but I just can't right now. I have tried things like not buying packs and only buying single ones. That didn't help because I would eventually start buying packs again. Hopefully if I get to the point again when I stop them completely, I will quit for good.
  9. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is good to know that you already get rid of the bad habit. :)
    You are really right that better to talk to your family and loved ones to help you be motivated since they do really care. It will be better to stop slowly than not trying to stop it.
  10. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

A sad story which will indeed motivate many. The fact that you have quit smoking you will be extending your life by a few more years. You have a family that loves and cares for you and that is great,many don't have the support they need to quit. We are a family here looking out to help each other. Thanks for sharing.
  11. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

It won't actually expend her or his life, it will actually not cut it more than it already did. If we smoke, we cut days from our lives, but if we quit it doesn't mean that we shall live more than we would've lived before starting smoking.
  12. ariana_

ariana_ Member

Thank you for sharing your story. I'm sure you will motivate others. I hope you continue to stay away from cigarettes, I personally know how hard that is. Welcome to the forum :)
  13. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Hi. Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your story. I think smoking is one of the most abused drug and it requires great mental strength to overcome its addiction. I'm glad that the love from your family prompted you to start fighting your addiction and you ultimately won that battle. Congratulations and i hope that your story will inspire many others who are fighting their own battles.