An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

A Substitute

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by rcdpink, Jun 1, 2015.

1. rcdpink

rcdpink Active Contributor

The core of why we take drugs has to do with experiencing a deep felt pleasure above the deep felt pain that the cares of this life grants us. But drugs doesn't have to be the way to sedate one's self against life's hardships. There are substitutes. What are yours, or what would you suggest?
  2. d4rk3n

d4rk3n Active Contributor

The urge to take drugs is the strongest when you feel really low in your life. I had a similar phase, and I felt like I was going to give in to drinking again. But computer games actually helped me a lot. Yep, I became addicted to games, but it didn't destroy my life the way drugs / alcohol would've done. So its definitely games for me.
  3. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Contributor

I agree with the thread title. From what I had observed in addicts, they are in search of something that they do not know. They are preoccupied with that search but couldn't find what they are searching until they found drugs. I have a cousin who is an activist, always finding a way to fulfill his rebellious attitude. And then drugs came along. He succumbed to the lure simply because he found a way out of his searching. In other words, his search is a failur and his escape is drugs.

On the other side, an addict is not trying to escape from his vice so he should be offered a good alternative, hmm, a better substitute.
  4. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

For me, the substitute is treating my health and body well. I exercise a lot - not to excess, but I try to be active in some capacity every day. I try to eat well. It's amazing the effect that being kind to yourself has. I feel like when I'm exercising and eating well then I feel not only healthier, but mentally better. It's interesting to me the correlation that those things have with one another. I guess the endorphins from exercising also help in giving out that positive mood and of course that assists as well.
  5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

There could be a lot of things we could do to relax, relieve stress, and have fun without resorting to drugs, depending on a person's preferences. As for me, reading books, watching movies, and listening to music have helped me a lot.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Before drugs there has to be something which an addict enjoyed doing. Or maybe there's some dream which was shelved because drugs made him/her lose sight of the goal. I believe that hobbies or a goal which s/he intends to achieve [in the near future] might be great substitutes for drugs.
  7. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Agreed, it all depends on the person. It could be anything from reading and writing, to volunteering at an animal shelter, to sports, to performing. I would highly encourage trying different things, either to regain your sense of wonder at discovering something new, or to revisit a forgotten goal.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

People take drugs for a lot of different reasons, while it's true that a lot of people take then because of the effects, there's also a lot that will turn to drugs as a form of escape. It helps them forget a certain situation that they find themselves in, and its a way of coping with life in general.
  9. rcdpink

rcdpink Active Contributor

Indeed, you're right. Exercising is a suitable substitute. It really has to do with you're mood and exercising gives you that balance.
  10. gracer

gracer Community Champion

There can be many substitutes for addiction if one is willing to find one. It purely depends on what interests or drives a person who's addicted. He/she can start with activities that could keep him/her busy like engaging in arts and crafts if he/she has a passion for them. One can also choose to engage in healthy activities like exercise, either strenuous or relaxing ones. The list goes on depending on what a recovering addict chooses. The point is, there are many more things to be engaged in besides drugs or substances. You just have to find your own substitute. :)