An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

A success story; what I have learned.

Discussion in 'Opioids / Opiates' started by 3030, Jan 24, 2015.

1. 3030

3030 Member

I began using drugs (almost everything you can think of) very heavily at the age of 16. Although I abused them heavily, I never needed them. It was for pure recreation. That all changed on my 18th birthday, when a friend told me to hold out my arm, and introduced me to IV drugs.

I eventually realized that I am in trouble. I saw it as my first "big people" problem. I saw no sign of ever stopping, and had no control over it. I spent over $25,000 in a single year on opiates. I tried not to let them change my personality, but I began putting drugs ahead of everything else in my life. Friends, family, morals. It was a downhill process. I am a very others-minded, family oriented type of guy, but I remember selling a lot of Christmas presents, stealing stuff, whatever I had to do to keep going. I also remember countless days crying. With drugs having that much of a priority in my life, these types of events fell into place on a regular basis.

After I told my mom about what was going on, and that I really could not stop on my own, I checked into rehab. There was one bell ringer that I accredit for keeping me clean. A person told me, "Out of sight, out of mind. If you don't think about it, you won't do it." That made perfect sense to me. Although you want to reminisce, share old stories, maybe even think, "Oh man I wouldn't mind yatta yatta yatta right now", absolutely should not. Mind over matter. You have to be strong, because there are much better things that you can think about. I believe that this is why NA meetings did more harm than good at some points (That is just my personal experience.).

This last November, I hit 7 full years of being clean! It was not easy. Sometimes I feel like I deserved a gold medal for making it this far. Here are a few things that I have learned.

-Once you get through a little craving, you feel so much better having not have given in.
    -Getting through those cravings build a lot of character, and make you a stronger person.
    -All of my old friends are still doing the exact same crap, and will likely be doing the exact same crap 10 years from now.
    -Being liberated from anything that has control over you (drugs, sex, food etc.) is priceless.
    -It was never worth it.

It feels great being my old self again. I am a kind person, not telling lies, always smiling, enjoying the finer things in life, the list goes on and on. It is very nice to not be paranoid about getting in trouble with the law, family and friends as well! I just finished my second year in college, and got my associates degree in Computer Science! It was not easy, but it is more than worth it. There are much better things in this world, you just have to find them. I wish I could get everyone to see that.

If anyone has any questions, you are more than welcome to send me a private message. Thank you for reading!
    xTinx, MrsJones, missbishi and 2 others like this.
  2. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

3030, I wish I could get you that literal gold medal. I am so encouraged by your story. It is a real delight to read of success stories like this. I feel sure others will benefit from what you shared. "There are much better things in this world, you just have to find them" You found those better things and I am truly happy for you.
    missbishi likes this.
  3. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21 Active Contributor

Thank you for sharing this story it is very inspirational. So many youths nowadays start using drugs at a tender age and in most cases they get so consumed by it that they are not able to turn away from it. The younger you are with drug use the more vulnerable is the situation as development, both physical and mental have a lot to do with how much our body withstand certain substances. You went through so much as a youngster and you should be so grateful right now for being given a second chance at life and being your old self again as you put it.
    missbishi likes this.
  4. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

That is so encouraging. Your story will give so many others hope that they too can over one their drug problems. It's so good to hear that people can and do get their life back and have a good future after getting out of drugs.
    missbishi likes this.
  5. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

Wow. 7 years you say? That is awesome news. I commend you for your strength and for finally putting yourself first and loving yourself enough to actually take that huge step in quitting and staying clean.
    Your stories really brought tears to my eyes because it really seems like you have come a mighty long way and the fact that you shared your story here is also something worth commending. This will motivate so many of us and encourage others like you to take a stand and put their lives before a quick fix.
    Thanks for the share and continue being a well rounded individual!
    missbishi and Winterybella like this.
  6. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

You do deserve a medal. Your story should serve as an example of someone hitting rock bottom and then rising up. A job well done! But aren't you thinking about drugs right now? I mean, you said mind over matter! But while writing this post, you must have had some 'urges' or not?
    missbishi likes this.
  7. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

Well said 3030! You truly deserve a medal! And your desire to let others know that there are better things than drugs is something that you should do to reach out. They'll listen to you because you experienced all the downside of being an addict, yet was able to get cleaned and have been sober for 7 straight years! That's quite a feat! When you really overcome temptations especially those that used to run your life, you become a more resilient person. The things that you've learned give great inspiration to do better in life. They're applicable to everyone. Carry on and all the best to you!
    missbishi likes this.
  8. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Congratulations 3030, that's a truly remarkable feat. Many have tried and failed miserably the ultimate test. That you were able to pull through despite being deep into drugs just goes to show that with the correct mindset and will power,all is possible.Thanks for sharing your story.
    missbishi likes this.
  9. 3030

3030 Member

Wow, thank you all so much for the kind words. It's really nice to hear! :D

calicer1996, that is very true. After 7 years, I have my feet in the ground a little better, so I don't mind talking about it. The triggers that used to set me off when I was first trying to get sober don't really bother me anymore. Let's just say that I am secure enough to talk about it, because it could possibly help someone that really needs it.
    missbishi and calicer1996 like this.
  10. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

Aah! The power of habit, eh? That is a great thing you taught us here. Thank you again.
    missbishi and 3030 like this.
  11. Thestoryteller1

Thestoryteller1 Active Contributor

I've went through a lot of bad(PTSD, depression etc) but while I managed to recover from those, I now can't stop watching TV, even when I'm too busy for it. I keep telling myself it's not such an issue and I will start reducing the amount I watch, from tomorrow....and I have been doing it for few years at this point. It wasn't supposed to be long term thing I do, but now I sometimes take eating food on my own in front of the tv instead of with friends....So I guess I have to look into it, before it gets worse.
    You managed something bigger, drugs, and for such long time! I wish I knew how to do it as well...thanks for sharing though, this gives me some hope that I can start and do something about it. My boyfriend is travelling for the next few days (we live together), which means in his absence I will probably feel more tempted to binge on TV. But may be that's my chance to start working on my issue and manage the crankiness that not-doing it will produce.
    missbishi and 3030 like this.
  12. 3030

3030 Member

I see how things such as watching TV and eating can be a problem. It's good to be proactive and to have good habits. I moved to a town with 900 people in it, so it is pretty difficult to find something to do. Staying proactive made my life a lot easier. After Facebook started getting old, I downloaded a music-creating software, and learned how to remix songs. I also started watching more informal stuff on YouTube instead of videos of kittens. Things such as how to do CPR, the Heimlich maneuver, how the human body actually works (it's really something, let me tell you), how to get better at basketball, how to improve your vocabulary and so on. It kind of got the ball rolling, and I ended up doing things like taking a week long life guarding class and becoming a certified lifeguard. It was really easy, and I figured that if I was going to do something I might as well learn something. The whole "the more you know" thing. It was best for me to get out of the house so that I would not get bored.

I wish you the best. :D
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
    missbishi likes this.
  13. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

gold medal.jpg

This one's for you @3030 !
    oleskool and 3030 like this.
  14. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

What a great success story. You should be proud of yourself. You were able to beat and overcome these types of addiction. Your story will truly inspire others. Have a great life! :)
    3030 likes this.
  15. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I love your success story! Congratulations and I hope you stay strong, clean and sober for the rest of your life. I know sobriety is a hard choices to make, so my hat is off to you.
    3030 likes this.
  16. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

You really did a great job and you should really praise yourself for that. I really like the "It was never worth it" and anyone thinking this about getting into addiction will really exert effort on becoming clean and have a better future. Congratulations and keep it up. :)
    3030 likes this.
  17. Brady2121

Brady2121 Active Contributor

Great story! I wish you the best of luck! Your story will truly inspire others to make the same decision you did!
    3030 likes this.
  18. 3030

3030 Member

Thank you all :3

I had to take a Psychology course before I got my degree in CS, so I have looked into tons of psychological aspects of what makes human beings operate. It is so far beyond not worth it, you have no idea. I can tell you this much, if I try and get in a relationship and have a drug problem, she will have the same problem. Also, like I said, my friends that are still doing this, will still be doing it 10 years form now unless they bite the bullet.

Drugs corrupt the crap out of you. I remember being a young lad and everything was so innocent and awesome. Drugs can easily corrupt every aspect of that.

Life is great as it is. A lot better without drugs, I promise. They were above and beyond never worth it.
  19. oleskool

oleskool Member

Congratulations on your success. It takes a strong person to stand up and say enough is enough! You Did It!:D

Tell your story to all that will listen. To many of our young people are in that boat of dispair and see no way out. It is easier to listen to someone that has been there than someone that is talking but has never had the demons that got you there in the first place.
  20. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Definitely life is better without drugs and you do not need to experience being on drugs before realizing that. As always said, prevention is better than cure. :)