An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

A sudden change in behaviour

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Friend' started by LifeOrDeath, Nov 3, 2014.

1. LifeOrDeath

LifeOrDeath Member

I have a friend whom I have known for 5 years.

He has always been a happy and outgoing guy but he has been acting different recently.

He never hangs out with his friends. He is always in his dorm even on weekends. He looks miserable in class and does not take care of himself anymore. When I asked him if anything was wrong, he just said "hmmm no" and left.

Is this a sign of addiction? I know that he smokes marijuana but I am afraid that he is doing other serious things.

Thanks.
  2. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

Honestly, it could be a sign of addiction. It could also be a sign of depression, anxiety, medical issues or side effects, other mental health disorders, etc.... Some of the more common signs of addiction also happen to be common signs of many other things. If you start to notice some of the more identifiable signs, like financial difficulties, withdrawal symptoms, legal problems, excessive consumption, stash spots, etc... then I would lean more towards addiction. Based on the information at hand it could be a number of things.
    La.oui likes this.
  3. mdaudali

mdaudali Member

He could just be really stressed and/or tired, not necessarily attributed to an addiction. Maybe he is depressed about a breakup or bad grades or the like. But if it does carry on, tell him he should see his GP to get checked. If it's definitely an addiction, bring it up and tell him the signs that make it obvious.
  4. La.oui

La.oui Member

I think this is as accurate as we can get given this information. I can see, though, that you are definitely concerned. Maybe what would help is to approach your friend. Since you've known each other for a long time, I'm certain that you can easily build rapport. Take it slow and let them know that you're there to listen.
  5. LifeOrDeath

LifeOrDeath Member

Thanks for the advice. I'll go try talk to him tomorrow and casually ask if he needs any help. I am not going to force anything but just let it naturally happen. He'll probably open up a bit more.
  6. La.oui

La.oui Member

You're welcome. If that doesn't work, give them more time and approach them about how you feel regarding this change. I think showing them that you are concerned and you notice these things would help. :)
  7. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

It could be a sign of a number of things, not necessarily an addiction. Perhaps your friend is stressed about a certain situation and can't sleep at night, or he has some emotional problems, such as suffering from depression. If I was in your situation, I would keep an eye on him and let him know in a gentle way that I am available for any kind of help that he might require.
  8. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

There could be numerous explanations for your friend's sudden change in behavior. It need not be induced by usage of hard drugs. Before making conclusions, as it's been suggested you should try to find out whether it actually isn't something else that's bothering him.

Maybe he lost something valuable, didn't get something he wanted, etc which made him depressed. But one thing that's clear is your friend is depressed. Help him. And whilst doing that you may find out if using other drugs [other than marijuana].
  9. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think it's hard to tell from that perspective. People just sort of evolve sometimes so you never know what really triggered it or if it's even really due to drugs in the first place. I know of some people who started acting that way just because of being on the computer too much. I guess the best way to really find out is to talk to him since only he would really know the answer of what's going on. Whatever happens, just know that he is lucky to have a friend like you to be concerned and no matter what the outcome is you shouldn't feel too bad from any bad news to come out.
  10. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

Like the others have said, it could be a number of things, including just going through a difficult time in his life due to something that has or is happening. Showing that you care will be good for him no matter what is going on. If he is using drugs, you already have a longer friendship with him, so he may be more willing to talk to you about what he is doing and perhaps why he started doing it.
  11. thomas carty

thomas carty Member

I would not really say that it is a sign of addiction but it could be a sign that he is just a bit stressed out. Probably I think that maybe you should just check on him and see what it is that is going on with him. Maybe he just needs someone to talk to about what has been going on in his life. Check on him and see whats up?
  12. dolittle94

dolittle94 Member

I don't think that his behavior necessarily means that he is using drugs. The case may be that he is just having a rough time in this period of his life. What may the reason be? I don't know; just make sure that you remain the caring and attentive friend and with time maybe he'll open up to you about what is going on with him. Just make sure you don't hover though, it might make him irritated.
  13. 6up

6up Community Champion

He might be stressedup. If possible then you have to advice him. You can be of help if he listens to you.
  14. chanelskii

chanelskii Member

He is possibly under a lot of stress. Or a depression he doesn't want to share. Try to talk to him in the manner that would make him say things to you because you are his confidant. Try to make him feel comfortable talking to you about it.
  15. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Those are signs of depression. That is a total withdrawal. Something obviously bothering. To say that is is due to addiction is premature. A lot of people act that way and not be addicted.
  16. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It could be because of various reasons cause it will be hard to tell exactly if there will be no proofs. Those can be sign of stress, depression, addiction or a certain problem he is currently experiencing.