An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

A Survivor

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Devonne, May 31, 2015.

1. Devonne

Devonne Member

About 3yrs ago I find myself recovering from an addiction that was so deep I thought I wasn't going to be able to shake it. If asked 10yrs ago if I could ever see myself facing an addiction problem my answer would be a big fat "NO". It didn't take long though for me to find myself in the grasp of addiction though. I had a very invasive knee surgery that left me unable to function without pain medication. Soon my knee was healed, but I couldn't go more than a few hours without some sort of pain medication without my stomach and head being in knots. I tried to ignore it and just live my life, but I wouldn't feel "normal" until I popped some pills.

Before I knew it, almost 4yrs passed and nothing changed. I couldn't function without pain killers and started to notice some very bad side effects on my health. I made the decision to quit. I didn't have any close family or friends any more due to my addiction so I started to walk my faith and lean on a higher power. I found that believing in God helped me to recover and move forward. My first attempt was one that was cold turkey, and within a day I was back at it. I soon found what I needed to do though and that was slowly stop taking them at lower doses. It wasn't wasn't easy, but here I am and I can actually say that I beat it. There is hope and there is a way. I believe that people need to find the best way for them and just push through (so much easier said than done of course) but it is possible. I like to think of myself as a survivor, because if I kept down the road I was on, well I'm sure I wouldn't be here.

Stay strong
    EditorsRHumansToo! and Joseph like this.
  2. whitenoise

whitenoise Senior Contributor

This is a both sad and motivational story. I had several friends whose just let them go "on the road they were on" and now.. well you know. My congratuliations dear, you did it.
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Devonne... Thanks for coming to the forum and sharing your story. It's so great that you were able to get off of the pain meds. How long has it been?

I think it's terrific that you were able to figure out that weaning yourself off the meds was the method that worked for you. The fact that you persevered and got clean after trying to quit cold turkey and relapsing within a day is a testament to your desire to change your life.

Unfortunately, many people become addicted to drugs as a result of pain meds prescribed after an injury or surgery. They never intend to become addicted, but their reliance on the medication takes over. Your story will definitely serve as an inspiration to others who come to this forum! So again... THANK YOU!
  4. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Devonne, thank you so much for sharing your story. I really do love survivor stories. Until coming to this forum, I really never thought much about being addicted to pain killers. Being here has taught me quite a bit. Welcome to the forum Deveonne and stay strong in your faith.
  5. Devonne

Devonne Member

Thank you everyone! I am so encouraged by your responses for sure! It was a long and hard road doing it alone, but I am so happy to be clean for over 3yrs. It will be 4yrs in September.

A lot of people don't agree with the weaning process but at the time I was homeless and didn't have any medical coverage, but I knew I had to still start somewhere. I felt alone and really took a beating every day, but soon things did start to get easier. Once I started to battle the addiction I took a hard look at the why. Why did I chose that path, why did I allow myself to cover up emotions and feelings in that particular way. Once I started to figure those things out, well the days just started to fly by, and before I knew it I was going days without thinking about pills.

I found outlets to allow my feelings and just my voice to be heard. I addressed past childhood abuse and my relationship with my mom. Those things aren't 100% the cause of why I started down the addiction path, but they were some of the reasons I just wanted to numb the pain. Now I am a huge advocate to people getting the help they need through therapy and what not. There are stigmas out there that I would love to see crushed and they all have to do with people just reaching out for help. I've seen friends fall victim to drugs because people told them that therapy was "for weak people" and I just don't agree. I'm not saying that all addictions stem from things not addressed in the past, but for me it was.

Anyways, I'm staying strong and keeping close to my faith and taking it one day at a time. I hope to learn more through these forums as I am not a Social Worker and would love to understand other addictions besides my own.

Stay strong my friends and I look forward to interacting with you all.
  6. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Four years in September!?!?! That's fantastic, @Devonne! I'm so proud of you!

As far as the weaning process goes... Hey, whatever works!

It really sounds like you've gotten your life in order, and that's such a wonderful thing. And it's so great that you want to help others, too. Gratitude dovetails into service, and giving back is something we all should do.

Just keep going, Devonne!
  7. superbobby

superbobby Active Contributor

Thank you for sharing this very inspiring story. It must have been hard to deal with this alone. Good thing you sought guidance from God to get you through your difficult situation. I wish you well with your new found life. Stay strong!
    deanokat likes this.
  8. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Thanks for sharing your story man! Its inspiring to hear other peoples experiences so you can learn from them. I couldn't imagine the stress and the thoughts going on in your head during such rough times!! You are one tough kid!
    deanokat likes this.
  9. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

That was really motivating. :)
    It is always nice to read success stories like you had. Right that there is always hope and we can make ourselves motivated and a changed person.
    deanokat likes this.
  10. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo! Community Champion

Warm welcome to you dear friend, @Devonne Thank you for your encouraging story of hope and courage. Fighting for our lives back isn't easy. But we are encouraged to "be very brave and courageous, for our good God of all creation and the universe always goes before us".

Be cheered. Be encouraged. Be persistent in your journey to life and truth. Would you be able to reconnect with your family and loved ones to tell them how you are going? We, in this community will always be here for you. Many are praying for each loved member-friend here.

I hope to see you again.
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
    deanokat likes this.
  11. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Such an amazing story! Welcome to the forum @Devonne ! :) Stories like yours serve as inspiration for all struggling addicts out there. I'm so glad that you have a strong connection with your faith in God because when there's nowhere and no one else to run to, He's the only one who stays. Your faith in Him also pulled you through, now you're living a far better life in sobriety than you did before. Congratulations for trying hard to change. Keep on inspiring others! :)
    deanokat likes this.