An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

A way to help cravings!

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by KaseyHopeMartin, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Hi there. If you clicked this link, then it means you're having a rough time with fighting off cravings. Cravings are the hardest part of getting sober, and anything can cause a craving. A certain scent, a memory, having idle hands and boredom, or just the general need for whatever you're craving. When you crave, there's always a chance for relapse.

Many of your most violent or urgent cravings have much to do with the substance still being in your body. Whether you quit a few days ago, or if you've been clean for a few weeks to a month, the chances that your preferred poison is still circulating some where in your body. If it was something you inhaled or ingested, chances are your poison is still in your digestive track, which can still release the chemicals inside your body - enough to make you have craving fits. And it's hard to have "mind over matter" when your body is fighting you every step of the way.

If you have just recently gotten out of a bad habit, then it's time to detox your body. And I don't mean with those store bought or prescription detoxes or laxatives. If you have just gotten out of a bad habit, it's best to go for an organic approach.

An organic herbal detox tea can help you cleanse your body gently, and thoroughly. As a Cherokee medicine woman, my goal is to help everyone, and usually for my substance abusers who are trying to get sober, I start with a good detox of their house, body, mind, and spirit.

On here, I can only do so much, but at least I can provide you with a recipe to help detox your body so that you can over come the hardest part of sobriety.

Detox Tea
    Goal:
    To have two cups of this tea a day, for seven days for a full digestive track/colon clean out. This is a week long process, and it's meant to be gentle and gradual instead of sudden to avoid stomach cramping and diarrhea.
    Ingredients: (This recipe is designed to make 2 cups of strong tea depending on steep time time)
    2 spoons of senna leaf
    1 broken up Anise star
    2 spoon of peppermint
    2 spoon of chamomile
    1 spoonful of cascara sagrada
    half spoon of anise seed
    a half spoonful of dandelion root
    1 spoonful of hibiscus root
    2 spoonfuls of psyllium husk
    1 teabag of regular tea (optional)
    Method: Mix all of these ingredients together (except the psyllium husk)well and brew them in a tea. Using a tea ball or whatever you like to use, brew and steep for about 3 to 5 minutes in boiling water. The tea should look a deep red due to the hibiscus. The first cup you take, place 2 spoonfuls of psyllium husk in the mug after brewing. You will want to make the first cup cool enough to drink quickly, as the psyllium husk tends to thicken like oatmeal and if you do not drink it down quickly, it will be like drinking oatmeal. Once you have 'skulled' the first cup down with the psyllium husk, make another cup without it, and sip it slowly.
    You may put whatever sweetener or additives you like in this. If you like lots of sugar, go ahead, if you like lemon, that's fine (in fact, lemon is super good for you so I encourage it!), if you like English tea with cream or milk, that's great too. Make it so that you can drink it. None of these things will react poorly with the tea.
    What the tea does: The tea itself is a detox. It softens your stool, helps push through old fecal matter build up inside of your colon/digestive track, and gently removes the waste from your system. The psyllium husk is an amplifier. The herb will actually grab onto the fecal matter sticking to your digestive track walls (you know, the stuff that's probably been there for years!), and remove it. The best way to describe this is an organic draino for the body. It acts much like Draino does for clogged sinks. Farmers actually give Psyllium husk to horses to keep them from getting colic, for those of you that understand that better.
    Getting a hold of ingredients: This part can be tricky, but my preferred sites are Monterrey Bay Spice Company of San Francisco Herbs and Natural Foods (sfherbs.com). If you have a homeopathic store near you, usually you can find these individual herbs there.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
    Rainman likes this.
  2. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Well this is quite a unique advice, this is the first time I have read an advice that shares a certain recipe. The ingredients seem hard to find, so good luck to all people who will be attempting to do this! Thank you for sharing this recipe!
    KaseyHopeMartin likes this.
  3. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Thanks for the tips. I have been able to give up most of my addiction, however, my addiction of chewing tobacco does not seem to vanish for ever. I am able to stop for few weeks, but not more than one month. After not using for weeks, I suddenly come with this desire to chew tobacco. I have tried many method, but nothing had helped.
  4. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I'm not much of a fan of pure teas. I like having milk teas instead of just tea. I don't know why but I cannot fathom tea by itself. But thank you for this recipe, I'm going to try this out with milk and honey. Yum! These past few days, I have been eating more than usual, I need some detoxing badly. This can be a great start for me. I do know we have a local health store but their items are quite overpriced. I'm going to try finding these ingredients at other Chinese herbal stores here.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I'd love to try the suggested method to fight off cravings and though I also think getting hold of the ingredients might be pretty hard, if one can buy them online then I most likely will try the whole organic approach since I'm still battling cravings currently and it's been almost a year now since I decided to fight a certain debilitating addiction.
  6. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I have always championed the use of alternative medicine for the treatment of diseases as well as a recovery aid for substance abusers. I have tried tea detox not so long ago (though the manner of preparation slightly differs from yours) and I can definitely vouch for its effectiveness. I had a healing crisis at first but I regained my energy after my body got used to the herbs I was taking. My favorite teas are turmeric and moringga.
  7. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I figure if it's natural then it could be worth a shot. I'm not saying it will work for everyone and I don't think anyone should go into it with the idea that it's going to be a magical potion that cures everything - but it's surely something that may assist in overcoming cravings.
  8. You can definitely order them online! You can go to http://www.sfherb.com/ or http://www.herbco.com/

Those are the two sites I order most of my herbs from! Be careful with the psyllium husk you don't want to over do it! Remember it thickens to oatmeal consistancy and you don't want to choke on it if you take too long to drink it!
    Rainman likes this.
  9. Turmeric is amazing! I'm glad you found a method that works for you.

And as Kassie said, it's not a cure all potion for anyone whose interested in trying it, but it definitely can help get unwanted substances out of your system.
  10. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

Well I have been getting more and more into tea lately, and this seems like something that would be right up my alley. I think that any recipe or method or way of battling the cravings and keeping your strength is something that we should try, and tea on its own is effective for me so I am betting that all the herbs in this would really be beneficial.