An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

A Wolf in sheep's clothing, That's what Marijuana is

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by amin021023, Apr 26, 2015.

1. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

Hi, I'm Amin. I'm from Iran.

I was a good kid once, never touched a Cigarette until I left my parents home for this university in small town of Sabz. I suddenly found myself alone in a strange city among strangers and kind of a lifestyle I never experienced before. and when you're alone and have no friends you desperately make friends with anyone, there was this guy in our class, he seemed very nice and cool, we became friends quickly and he started talking to me about weed and how pleasurable it can be, saying things like it's gonna be legalized in the u.s and it's not harmful and blah blah...so I gave it a try, I must be honest It was amazing! I slowly developed dependent on the drug and finally came to realize that this is wolf in sheep's clothing but it was too late, the weed have caused me some serious mental problems like anxiety, depression and OCD, that's the worse the mental problems, believe me you do not want to take the chance.

I found a good doctor and started some therapy and I'm getting better. I want to help others with similar problems to break their habit and put positive changes in their lives...
  2. jbbarn

jbbarn Active Contributor

Thanks for sharing your story amin. I am dismayed by the fact that my country is indeed on a fast track to legalizing marijuana. I know it affects different people in different ways, but I agree that it is in some way addictive. I'm glad you are recovering.
  3. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Amin, I wish you well in your recovery process. Marijuana is still illegal in my country, but very common place. Some don't even bother to hide anymore. I too believe it's a " wolf in sheep's clothing" disguising itself as harmless when it really isn't. I am sure others might disagree. What's important in your case is that you recognised it's negative affect on your life and you are taking corrective action. Welcome to the forum.
  4. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

I'm glad to hear that you're getting therapy and assistance to get better. It wouldn't surprise me if marijuana did indeed cause your aforementioned issues. It sounds like your issues came about fairly quickly rather than over a long period. However, long-term research on frequent marijuana usage is relatively lacking. I'd be interested to see what future studies have to say about the long-term safety of marijuana.
  5. amin021023

Thank you all for your kind and supportive words. although my issues didn't come quickly but came over a long period of time and that confirms that it's not all because of Marijuana, in fact I don't know which came first addiction or depression but I can say without doubt that pot worsen the issues.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Great that you realized what weed could do to you before it's too late. Most of those who talk about how great weed have probably heard it from friends who know nothing of weed and they too probably got the lies from others who also heard from others. I've seen the effect weed can have on people who abused and they [the effects] weren't nice. One of those people is in a mental institution today.

Amin, the good thing that came out of your addiction was the lesson you learned. Maybe others can learn a thing or two from you either online [on this forum] or in the real world.
  7. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo! Community Champion

Welcome to the forums, @amin021023 . Your story with shine like a light house to many of us here. You will be like a strong rock on which a guidepost will stand firm to warn others and encourage to be persistently barve to say "No" to drugs. I'm very glad and very happy for you that you desire for your complete recovery and healing. I look forward to seeing you in your sure and safe progress in your journey.:)
  8. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

It's wonderful that you found your balance again and that you like to help others. I know that your experiences will open the eyes of others who are or have been in a similar situation like yourself, and who are still struggling with trying to make sense of it all. Your insights and help are and will be invaluable.
  9. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I'm so happy that you have managed to break free and that you are progressing with your life. I do hope that the therapy is of long term benefit to you.
  10. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

Amin, congrats on your move. Legality is a meaningless thing attached to all kind of things that are addictive. You can easily look at alcohol & tobacco if you want perfect examples of legalized things that people cannot put down for the life of them. Marijuana being legalized doesn't change much in the way of how people will use it. It also doesn't make it necessarily 'safe' because of the moniker.
    amin021023 likes this.
  11. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Thank you for joining us and sharing your story!

You're so right about being somewhere new and doing whatever it takes to find a friend or to fit in -- I think many of us have been there and done that...and when we're feeling vulnerable and impressionable it can be dangerous if drugs are in the picture. Glad you realized the impact they were having, and best of luck with your recovery -- you can do it!
  12. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I think it is one thing to legalize a substance that will help people with medical problems and it is another to not expect that there will be people abusing it. I think it is a wolf in sheeps clothing when it comes to our youth. They will not know how to handle it.
  13. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Your story is a good example to people who are trying to break free from their addiction. Thank you for sharing your experience and how you were able to cope. A bright future is still ahead of you. Keep it up!
  14. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

I knew marijuana wasn't as harmless as everyone thought it was. It does exhibit side effects. As we can see, it apparently affects your ability to control your emotions and might turn out to be a major cause for depression. I think more teenagers should be aware of this.
  15. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

It's good to hear your story because I've heard of people who always make excuses to take marijuana only to end up getting addicted and never return to the way they once were. You are so fortunate to have found a good doctor and put an end to your marijuana dependency. Though the drug has a medical aspect, unless there's a prescription and expert regulation, it's not healthy to use it on your own.
  16. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

So nice of you to share your personal experience here. This should serve as warning for those who would like to try it, that they can be addictive. As being said for lots of time already, prevention is better than cure. So better to avoid it.
  17. serenity

serenity Community Champion

@Rainman, Did the person that you knew that was in a mental institution only smoked weed and he ended up there? If yes, then that's quite severe.

@amin021023, You may have made a mistake in the past, but it's all in the past, and it's not too late for you to change. Sure, the damage has been done already, but at least you are trying to correct it. I smoked weed before too, but I never got addicted to it. The downer effect of weed is more lasting than it's upper effect, so that should be a deterrent already for you.
  18. amin021023

Thank you all for your kind answers.

Exactly my reason to post this thread was to warn everyone who might be making the same mistake.
  19. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I am glad to hear that you are doing better. Welcome to the forum. If you need help from anyone here, just ask them. There are plenty of good people on here.
  20. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Yes. Just sadly that sometimes, even there are warnings and testimonies like this, some are not stopped by it.