An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

A Wolf in sheep's clothing, That's what Marijuana is

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by amin021023, Apr 26, 2015.

1. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

That happens when people are so stubborn and they want to try it themselves and just won't see the truth because of their pride.
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Yeah. He smoked only weed. A lot of it. Like a chain smoker, he was always lighting up joint after joint after . . .

I think he used to smoke a lot because he'd lost his job. But his addiction cost him his mind. All this stuff about depression and drugs. It never ends well.
  3. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

Hello Amin,
    Firstly want to say your English is great and I'm very glad you shared your experience. I totally agree with you that it is a wolf in sheep's clothing, I agree the fact that it could be deceiving and tempting to others and you should absolutely take every cautious and every method, to avoid listening to the thoughts and giving into the temptation.
  4. Rholm

Rholm Member

Like any drug, it has it's medical uses and benefits, but under controlled circumstances. It can be a bad idea to experiment with any drug, even ones posed to be "harmless". Marijuana can have many psychological side-effects, and I'm glad you realized so and got yourself help before any permanent harm was done! It's very commendable and highly admirable, Amin. Best of luck to you.
  5. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I didn't know that. Who knew that such a "harmless plant" can do such damage? It's not even artificial. What kind of mental disease did he acquire after getting hooked on weed that made him confined to a mental institution?
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

It was a psychotic disorder of some kind. He'd lost touch with reality and I doubt there's anything that could be done to reverse the damage otherwise he'd have been discharged a long time ago.
  7. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84 Senior Contributor

Thank for sharing your story and I wish you all of the luck in the world. It is possibly the best analogy I have ever heard for marijuana "A wolf in sheep's clothing" that is exactly what it is. It sneaks under the radar because people think they just do it for fun and for the feeling but before they know it they are totally addicted.
  8. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I see. I used to smoke marijuana before, and I always thought of it as "harmless". It just altered my mood and made me hungry. Who knew it can cause you to develop a mental illness right? I knew a person who did Ecstacy, and since it was artificial, her brain deteriorated, as said by her doctors.
  9. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I believe different substances just have different effects on different people and generalizing doesn't really help anyone because completely disregarding the benefits of anything just because of a personal experience of one person is hardly progressive, in my opinion. I'm glad you're doing fine, but I think it can also be entirely possible that the problem was already in your mind and the substance just brought it out.
  10. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

Thanks for sharing. It's good for people to know the effects that weed can have on a person and that it's not all fun.
  11. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

Thank you for sharing this experience. I am very unhappy that my state is legalizing marijuana. I wish more people like yourself would speak up loud and clear and warn our young people that this is not a good thing, that it can and does ruin lives and that they will not know ahead of time if theirs might be ruined should they use this drug.
  12. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Well, marijuana has been shown to have bad effects on memory and is generally discouraged for heavy consumption and/or for consumption before 18. Otherwise, heavy use is seen as a "trigger" to mental problems (rather than a cause). Everybody is different. It's good that you overcame your problem, happy to hear!
  13. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

Welcome and thanks for sharing. I am glad you are feeling better these days.

I like how you point out an interesting observation between a trigger and a cause.

Right! It does make me wonder, if alcohol and tobacco should even be legal?
  14. bluedressed

Yeah, well, otherwise I think it should be mentioned that, like any drug (and I include medicine), "This can cause different side-effects", though the chances are slim for most people. I mean, to just come out and say "Weed causes X, Y, Z mental illness" would be rough, it would actually imply that most of the kids I know will end up with some serious problem. Which is most definitely not the case!
  15. pineywood

Exactly. I have, yet, to read any studies that suggest weed is the cause of mental illness, but it may have the ability to affect people in various ways (as you say, all drugs, legal or not). I was just reading an article put out by Harvard on the addicted brain. I suppose, this is not really the thread to get into further details. Think I will start another, just wanted to say, I agree with your point.
  16. bluedressed

That's interesting, neither did I -- I mean, it's something I heard many times? That weed abuse leads to psychosis (we even saw some guy in a documentary saying that happened to him) and possibly to trigger schizophrenia. I mean, I do expect it has an effect on the brain -- we know it does on short-term memory, after all -- and it could be imaginable it could lead to (mild?) paranoia? But I'll join you on that thread later then!
  17. pineywood

Just want to say, I am looking for more information on this correlation. First post on the thread (addicted brain) has more to do with the brain, motivation, and relapse and the biological function and only slight reference to the various effect on different people. Will post more, as I come across it.
  18. Christian

Christian DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Thanks for sharing. I completely agree with you that Marijuana is far more problematic than is being lead on by people and institutions advocating for it's legalization. It is a gateway drug and while usually depicted as being fairly benign it can create more problems such as anxiety, depression, OCD, or other psychological issues. While I have to admit that there are many positive medicinal aspects to marijuana use and the people that qualify for the use of it shouldn't have to endure so many raod blocks and or social stereotypes in seeking a vialble way of effective treatment it is hard to bridge the gap between responsible use or treatment and or abuse. In the grand scheme of things Marijuana use the effects each individual in different ways so it's difficult to say what may be harmful or detrimental to some may not be to others. I'm happy to hear that your on the other side of this and can look at this as a learning experience. A great deal fall into other drugs and become stuck in the cycle of addiction so I applaud you for seeking help and a healthier alternative.
  19. Charli

Charli Community Champion

This happens because most of the time warnings are coming from biased sources, stating opinions as fact, and uneducated ones at that, which is why in my opinion it's better to find out for yourself. Of course there are people who wouldn't be ready for such an attitude but for the most part if your head is in the right place you can experiment with anything without much risks at all.
  20. pineywood

While I respect your opinion. I think, (my opinion) there are some substances, no matter how your head is in the right place, that it is to safe experiment with and be risk free. Now, I am not talking about (unlaced) marijuana, nor am I talking about whether it should be legal or not, I am talking about man-made drugs. You just never know what kinds of chemicals people are putting into these substances and selling on the streets. One bad dose and there is no second chances, no matter how right in the head you are. Very scary. Now, if all these illegal drugs on the street were manufactured under strict guidelines, then "maybe" it would be a different story.
    Last edited: May 14, 2015
    deanokat likes this.