An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

A Wolf in sheep's clothing, That's what Marijuana is

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by amin021023, Apr 26, 2015.

1. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrake Active Contributor

Many people argue that marijuana does not CAUSE the problems described, but rather is more likely associated with the general breakdown that allows these symptoms to manifest. If you see a black cat just before you have bad luck it does not mean that the black cat caused the bad luck. The legal status of marijuana means that a person is more likely to try it under circumstances related to an overall deterioration of circumstances.
    However, the principle of homeopathy would lead us to expect that a mild euphoriate such as cannabis might cause an opposite reaction (such as depression) in a person with underlying tendency to depression. However, the homeopathic principle would lead us to expect that it would ultimately be curative.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I go back and forth on the whole marijuana thing. It's one of very few things I have trouble making a definitive decision on.

When I was in my late teens, I smoked pot occasionally. I probably smoked it 15 to 20 times total. It's the only illegal drug I ever tried, and I never bought it. I always got it from my sister. The feeling I got from pot was enjoyable at first, but the novelty of it kind of wore off.

Fast-forward to about 10 years ago, when I found out my oldest son was smoking pot. At first I thought, like a lot of parents do, "Oh, it's just him experimenting," and I kind of blew it off. But unlike me at his age, my son's pot smoking became a habit, and he became addicted to it.

My son suffered from severe depression and anxiety. The marijuana smoking was his attempt at feeling "normal." Unfortunately, the cannabis didn't play nice with my son's anti-depressants and his mental health deteriorated. He also eventually started using heroin.

I've always looked at pot as my son's "gateway drug." He smoked and felt better for a while. But when his emotional health took a turn for the worst, he moved on to heroin. I think he was looking for a better high.

Anyway, I spent a long time being against pot. However...

My younger son started experimenting with pot when he went to college about a year ago. When I first heard this, I was devastated and terrified. I envisioned him taking the same road as my son. Pot -------> heroin. Maybe that's skewed thinking, but after going through what I went through with my older son, it was just the natural thought progression.

But I sat down and had some conversations with my younger son, and he is adamant that it's just a recreational thing for him. And, so far, I see no signs that would indicate anything different.

I learned long ago that a parent can't control what their adult child (my younger son is 19) does, so I have chosen not to go down that road this time around. In a perfect world, would I rather that my son didn't smoke pot? Of course.

But the world isn't perfect.

With all the legalization of marijuana that's going on, I think the thinking among young people is that it must be okay. I also hear the "It's safer/better than alcohol" argument all the time. And you know what? I think I'm starting to agree.

I grew up with an alcoholic father, and I've experienced so many horrible things because of my dad's drinking. I actually told my wife not too long ago that, even though it's illegal where we live, I might rather my younger son smoke pot than drink alcohol (he hates alcohol and doesn't drink). I couldn't even believe I said that. But I think that's how I feel right now.

But, like I said. I go back and forth on the whole marijuana thing.

This is along, rambling post. I hope it makes some sort of sense. :)
    pineywood likes this.
  3. Charli

Charli Community Champion

No, I agree with you completely. I was just referring to marijuana specifically and I was trying to point out that sometimes people are stubborn not because of their own pride but because they subconsciously feel unsatisfied with warnings that reek of ignorance and hypocrisy, and I think that type of behavior will ultimately prove a lot more beneficial than just blind acceptance of whatever other people tell you is supposedly bad or wrong. As for other substances, it's why I am a proponent of most of them becoming legal and regulated because putting people under unnecessary risk by keeping it all under the table just doesn't seem to be practical nor does it seem to be working. This way, experimentation (which as I said, I think is important) won't automatically have to mean gambling with your life.
    Last edited: May 16, 2015
  4. egrocket1

egrocket1 Member

It is very odd that you experienced some of these symptoms. Thank you so much for sharing your story. Usually we only hear about how weed helps these problems, not cause it. I am glad you shared this with me, as I now have some evidence to go to my friends with. I am glad you are getting better now.
  5. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Active Contributor

Thank you for sharing your story. We learn from experience, and your experiences with help others in the future. It's odd though that you experienced these symptoms, they are rather uncommon. Like any drug, the use of weed must be controlled to be helpful, and not be an addiction. I wish you luck on your path to recovery.