An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

A Workaholic's Addiction

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by jsscjcbs, Nov 18, 2014.

1. jsscjcbs

jsscjcbs Member

To any of you all who have experienced this to some degree can you tell of what the worst thing was you experienced from this form of addiction as well as the most positive. I'm thinking of extending my work hours more to occupy my time better but I don't really know if its a good idea. Drop me some feed back.
    Joseph and rabst like this.
  2. rabst

rabst Active Contributor

I mentioned this to a friend on Facebook---how we kind of fall into a walking trance when we put our noses to the grindstone so hard that we forget there's anything but the ground we tread beneath our feet. We forget what our labors are supposed to be building---we are 'Hebrew slaves in Egypt,' breaking our backs to build the Pharoah's monuments; when we want to be 'Children of the Farm's Owner,' letting His glory strengthen our labors (or letting our glory shine in His gifts to us).

In short, is there anything you should be doing that 'work' is keeping you away from?
  3. jsscjcbs

jsscjcbs Member

Not at all. The type of work that I do allows me to set my own hours as well as determine how much work I will do each day. I just had a lot of extra time these days because before I was only working part time because that's what I felt like doing at the time. Now with extra hours off I get bored after a while so I just was considering turning my career into a full time gig to occupy that void. I don't know if its wise though I just need any suggestions or experiences from others with this.
    rabst likes this.
  4. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

I held three jobs once. I worked for two of them at the same time because the were across from one another and I was able to watch the other store from where I was... my bosses were cool with it. I barely got sleep, my diet was bad, and my stress levels were high. I ended up in the hospital for a few days for exhaustion, malnutrition, and overly stressed. I didn't learn. Several years later when I moved to LA I did a similar lifestyle... only this time it almost killed me.

Be careful, make for sure you get plenty of breaks and eat properly. Put mandatory time aside for family and friends and take days off. Don't increase your workload to much.
    rabst likes this.
  5. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

There are times that I already think that I am a workaholic for having some panic attacks that I cannot explain.
    That was due to too much stress, thinking a lot and working a lot. I am now trying to avoid such kind of lifestyle to feel healthier and be able to enjoy other things in life.
  6. jsscjcbs

jsscjcbs Member

What was it that caused the both of you to work so much? Were you doing it to make extra money to pay for expenses or was it just some impulse you just could not control. I know that sometimes this type of behavior can be a sort of mental disorder like OCD.
    rabst likes this.
  7. jdroc

jdroc Active Contributor

Yeah people like to feel like they're busy. If they're busy then they're productive. It's apart of this stupid culture we fall up under.
    jsscjcbs likes this.
  8. rabst

rabst Active Contributor

True; but if people stop working, they start thinking about all the wrong things they do &--rather than stop the other work to do work that'll fix their past mistakes--they just dig into the work that pays (even though it doesn't fix anything).
  9. jsscjcbs

jsscjcbs Member

Totally, everything is like a no win situation. In any and every area one will suffer somehow. I guess you just have to choose in which way you plan to suffer, and take everything that follows with it after that.
  10. jdroc

jdroc Active Contributor

Lol, you make it sound so not cool to be alive.......but I get where you're coming from. I always say that nobody is really happy, some people better at faking it than others
    jsscjcbs and rabst like this.
  11. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

There was also a time when I was working at three jobs and making a tidy income from it. I was younger then and could handle it quite well though, it didn't really seem that demanding. However, now that I'm self employed I'm finding it a lot tougher than I did when I was working at those three jobs.
  12. rabst

rabst Active Contributor

Buddha says that 'life is suffering'---I think it's "The First of the Four Noble Truths."
    jdroc likes this.
  13. jdroc

jdroc Active Contributor

Yeah I follow Buddha just enough to know I don't enough. I really trying to go the "middle path" he speaks of. Not getting too high or too low, just staying in the middle.
    rabst likes this.
  14. rabst

rabst Active Contributor

Reading some of Soka Gakkai International's texts, I learned that the way Buddhism 'qualifies as a religion' is because they are a discipleship---a master leading a disciple (to become another master leading new disciples).

(This might go a little off-topic, but I'll keep it at-least parallel & merge it back in :cool:.) See, a Buddha is not exactly 'Most-High God.' SGI's Nichiren Buddhism teaches that 'Buddha' is just one of the ten "natures" that all of us (me, you, the Thus-Come One expounding Noble Truth on the Mountain-Top) carry around with us---though Buddhism calls them "worlds," because one's entire 'world' is colored by that nature.

We are usually identified by the nature we 'let shine' the most: the Thus-Come One focuses on his Buddha-nature, a person will usually focus on their Jungle-nature (which they call Animality ... the drive to Eat or Be Eaten) until they figure out how to let good things come to them without having to force them (when they'll usually rest in their Humane nature until they pass away).

The Workaholic gets 'addict' to the "Anger" that moves them from their Jungle-nature to the Humane. They probably don't often experience it as the 'dangerous mind-state' it sometimes is, but more like the 'quiet frustration that can only be abated by working more.'
    jsscjcbs likes this.
  15. jdroc

jdroc Active Contributor

Yeah I checked out the website, thanks for posting.
    rabst likes this.
  16. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

It's never a good idea to stretch your work hours if you do have a family waiting for you at home, because you are then neglecting them and they have all the right to feel angry about that. I know I would if I had a husband I could barely see because he has chosen to work more than he should. That can surely be a deal breaker and even cause a divorce.
  17. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Buddhism also teaches that we all share the same stream of consciousness and that we are all interconnected - we are all one. Buddhism also teaches a lot of things which were included in New Thought philosophy and that the kingdom of Heaven (or Nirvana) is in the mind. Quantum physics is now starting to shift to a point where it is beginning to explain how these things might very well be true.
  18. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

We all know that we are all working in order to earn for a living. And I knew there are lots of people who had one more job in a day just to earn extra income for their everyday needs. Some people are doing this because for them their income is not enough to satisfy their needs in life. But I think if you will just live your life within the means of your income then there is no need to make overtime works or to have double jobs to earn more. Since I only live simple I always spend wisely that is why I am able to allocate my earnings very well. In fact I can still save a little amount of money that will be left out from my monthly expenses. I am working on a regular time basis that is why I do not worry for my health. And one thing by means of this working condition I can always spend quality time with my family.
  19. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Being a workaholic is not all that bad. The upside is that you become successful in your field and potentially wealthy. The downside is that you'll lose touch with your family and friends. Ensure that the extra hours you put in won't hurt your relationship with them. Over-exerting yourself could even result in an early demise, this is very common with the Japanese who tend to work long hours. Therefore, be cautious when you're extending your hours.
  20. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

I love earning money and I think if you have the time to and need the money, extend the hours. I usually pull off all nighters for my own business online and I'm only 17! I know its healthy but it will all pay off. I work 3 jobs ATM.