An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

AA Facts or Myth?

Discussion in 'Questions About Treatment' started by Rainman, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

To be honest AA can be or might not be the right option for those who wish to stop using alcohol. I've been reading a few articles and it appears like, apart from being referred to as a cult [you get the negative connotation associated with that?] there was also this claim that it's ""a hindrance to research, psychiatry, and to many alcoholics who need a different kind of help"

What do you guys think? Should AA be used as a first or last resort?
  2. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I think that AA doesn't deserve any bad publicity. It does a great job helping those who need the kind of structure that AA can provide. Obviously, it's not for everyone, but what is? I think that a holistic approach to stopping drinking is the best way to deal with the addiction on many different levels. AA can be a great stepping stone or foundation, where an alcoholic might find a safe base from which he can continue to seek out other forms of help that he might require, such as the guidance from a special counselor, or another specific support group.
  3. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

It depends on one's recovery requirements. Some people do not want to join AA because they think it's not the best course of action for them. Other people are of a different opinion, though. Some would rather opt to recover in a DIY manner or join a no-obligation support group online or offline. If I were in their place, though, I'd go for DIY recovery too. AA programs are no longer as effective as they once were. Quality has significantly dropped, no doubt.