An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

AA

Discussion in '12-Step Support Groups' started by kgord, Aug 28, 2015.

1. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Has AA or NA been beneficial in your life? Has it helped you maintain your sobriety? Would your recommend your experience at AA to other people? I have been to a few AA meetings as part of classes I was taking in college so I am familiar with the basic structure. AA seems to be a supportive and welcoming place. I was wondering about people's experiences with it.
  2. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Personally I did my full recovery away from them, but only because I ignored how useful could be joining an Alcoholic Anonymous group. For sure it would contribute to make my process easier than it was.

Overtime, and now in sobriety, I began to approach to AA, ALANON, and NA groups to learn more about them and help other to reach them in confidence that they will find the help need through these groups.
  3. juno

juno Community Champion

I believe AA to be helpful in that it creates a support system. Also, the steps that they have in place really creates a rejuvenation of the self. I think the one-on-one relationship you build with the members is very helpful.
  4. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

I didn' t find AA helpful at all. The focus on higher power is just too much for me. It seemed like it was this odd mix of personal responsibility and relying on God. It went back and forth and I was never really sure where things stood. It just confused me, which didn't help as I was recovering.
  5. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I know it has worked for millions. I don't think it is necessarily everyone's cup of tea, but for years it was the only ballgame in town for those who had substance abuse disorders. So, it is something that definitely has worked for some, and something that has worked extremely well for those who need it.
  6. JayLyn

JayLyn Active Contributor

I would never discourage someone from seeking help via AA but for myself the whole concept of being "powerless" over anything including a substance didn't feel right. I come from a history of abuse in relationships and to be told that I am "powerless" is too much like how I felt in those. I also didn't care for the anti drug therapy approach to mental illness in AA though not as much present as in NA. Members with anxiety or depression are often told not to take medications for fear that they will become addicted to them and though some medications come with that risk I still think it is better to use them than to suffer some of the debilitating symptoms of these disorders. Personally, I can live without the added pressure of feeling that I am now not able to control my own life let alone alcohol, nor do I like the shaming concept of having to admit all of my shortcomings. I prefer a sixteen step program designed for women as I find that AA is a concept that was made for men by men.
  7. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Well, my mom and someone who used to be her friend benefited a lot from AA meetings, as well as the 12 steps based group for ''neurotic people''. I attended one some months ago, but this one was targeted at people with food addictions... I didn't like the atmosphere there though, the people there were so mean and made fun of each other. It was a really bad environment, so much swearing and vulgarity. I mean, not even the NA guys talked like that... It was awful, but if I find a group with a nicer group of people I will surely join.

My mom is no longer an alcoholic by the way, neither am I! I no longer abuse pills either or consume any kind of drug. I am very clean and sober! It can be done!