An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Abortion Tablets

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Davienna, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

I recently followed a friend to a pharmacy to get 'abortion pills' that she would administer herself. I panicked as I was very scared for her. What amused me though was how easy she was able to get them. She did not even have a prescription! This can be very dangerous but there was nothing I could have told her to convince her not to take them. I won't even start debating whether or not it is right or wrong but it is much more dangerous to take the pills rather than going to the doctor.
  2. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

I didn't know that they had abortion pills. I know that there are pills that a woman can take up to 72 hours after the sex act to prevent pregnancy, a prescription is not needed for obtaining this medication. I am wondering if it's this type of pill that you are referring to because anything else would be very dangerous to apply on their own.
  3. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Over the counter abortion pills? Really?

Perhaps it's a morning-after pill. I don't think that there's a drug available in the pharmacy that can cause abortion or miscarriage, which one can obtain without prescription. But if that's the case with your friend, I suggest that you convince her to go to a doctor instead of administering such a dangerous drug without consulting a professional.
  4. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

You are thinking of The Morning After and Plan B pills. They're just a high dose of birth control, it's not really dangerous... no more than birth control pills, anways. It's not an abortion pill and only works up to 72 hours after having unprotected sex. If your friend is actually pregnant it's not going to work.

An abortion pill is RU-486 and MUST be given under direct medical supervision and have a follow up visit with the abortionist. You cannot just walk into a store and buy RU-486. But, yes... the abortion pill is dangerous. Thousands of woman are hospitalized every year for bleeding after being prescribed RU-486 and a lot of abortion clinics refuse to use it because it's only 40% effective. Women have been traumatized after severe cramps, heavy bleeding and eventually passing an intact fetus at home, which happens if the pill is taken after 6 weeks gestation.

If someone needs an abortion RU-486 isn't the best option available.
    Lostboy8731, deanokat and Mara like this.
  5. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

I wish your friend would just go see a doctor rather than self medication. I'm sure you could talk her into that unless she has taken the pills before and it worked for her. But she has to be really careful with administering drugs to herself without prescription; it could get ugly.
  6. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

If you have had unsafe sex, you can take emergency pill that can stop pregnancy if taken within 72 hours. There are also pills for women who have missed mensuration, usually for those who are pregnant with 6-12 weeks.You take one pill and 24 hours later you take 4 pills. These pills will terminate your pregnancy.
  7. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Well as long as she does not become addicted to taking them and this is a one time thing it might not be too bad. HOwever. I can imagine it was a very uncomfortable situation for you.
  8. Loopulk

Loopulk Member

Yikes! This sounds super sketchy. "Abortion pills?" I'm not sure how far along she is, but if she's already pregnant, she'll eventually have to deliver the fetus (or get it removed somehow). Best of luck.
  9. Min

Min Active Contributor

I think that @LoveEcho has given the most reliable answer here with the most information. I would agree 100% that this is probably what your friend got - the Morning After pill. How people can refer to things colloquially can make things seem different than what they really are.
    deanokat likes this.
  10. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

Nope never heard of such a pill. This must be a seedy type of pharmacy because no upright business would sell something as crazy as this. I have heard of the morning after pill, that helps to kill anything that might have gotten loose, so to speak. Sorry, I hope you are wrong about this for every young girl in America that is having unprotected sex.
  11. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

If you do not want to go through abortion in a clinic, doctor can recommend you some pills that can terminate your pregnancy. If your pregnancy is less than 12 weeks, the pills work. Sometimes there may be excessive bleeding. However, I have never heard about being addicted to these pills. Perhaps, she was trying to terminate pregnancy herself.
  12. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

An abortion pill sounds rather crazy to me... How exactly does such a pill work? By the sound of it, it literally kills the baby that already exists ( assuming it is still in very early stages of development of course. )

I understand the "morning after" pills that prevent anything from happening, but an abortion pill sounds very different and I can see it being dangerous, especially for something served over the counter. I think she may be confusing it with a morning after pill.
  13. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

The publish health service in my country gives women abortion pills, but I think there are certain restrictions. I do know that morning after pills are easily available, and the government even encourages their use. However, I do worry if drugs such as abortion pills should be made available so easily.
  14. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I have never heard of abortion pills before, at least not under this name. If they are like those "The morning after" pills, then I won't condemn her or the pharmacist. It's like buying condoms or birth control pills, and maybe she didn't like the doctor to know that she may be/ is pregnant. As long as she doesn't get addicted to them, everything is all right.
  15. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I agree this could be very dangerous. First of all I've never even heard of abortion pills before. The fact that you can get a unknown drug without a prescription is really careless on the part of who sells them. Something that's meant to kill a baby in pill form could probably kill the mother too. It's just the thought of someone putting something meant to cause human death into there own body that sounds creepy.
  16. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Whеthеr yоu'rе thinking аbоut hаving а mеdiсаtiоn аbоrtiоn, yоu'rе соnсеrnеd аbоut а wоmаn whо mаy bе hаving оnе, оr yоu'rе sоmеоnе whо's just сuriоus аbоut mеdiсаtiоn аbоrtiоn, yоu mаy hаvе mаny quеstiоns. Hеrе аrе sоmе оf thе mоst соmmоn quеstiоns wе hеаr wоmеn аsk аbоut thе аbоrtiоn pill. Wе hоpе yоu find thе аnswеrs hеlpful. Аnd if yоu'rе thinking оf hаving а mеdiсаtiоn аbоrtiоn, wе hоpе thеy hеlp yоu dесidе whаt is bеst fоr yоu.