An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

About me

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Nergaahl, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

My life's been though since I was a little child. I had alcoholic parents, who used to spend their money on beverage instead of food, bills, school and others. My father used to beat us and our mother, until the point when she couldn't stand it anymore and decided to divorce. We then moved out in the other side of the city, and I being the little frustrated brother I began smoking and drinking. I had these problems until the last week, when I decided to stop it. I threw away all of my cigarettes, I put my friend hide all the beverage and I bought myself an e-cigarette.

Now I can say I feel better about myself, though I'm struggling to resist the temptation. But everyone supported me and I'm making good progress by far. I hope I could make it till the end. Cheers.
    BelleFleur and Jen S. like this.
  2. frogsandlegos

frogsandlegos Active Contributor

I am so sorry you went through a difficult childhood. :( No child should have to endure the neglect and abuse you experienced, and I am very sorry that the system failed you. :(

Glad you made the decision to quit and I hope you can find help and support to resist the struggle. KUDOS to you for respecting yourself enough to stop abusing yourself. Glad you are here!
  3. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Let me first congratulate you for making that bold step of seeking a fresh start and discarding that life of drugs and misery. You have been through hell and it's only by God's grace that you have survived that turbulent life. A difficult childhood is something that can affect someone psychologically for many years to come. I would like to encourage you to follow that path that you have initiated and i know in my heart that you will succeed and everything will turn out just fine.
  4. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Thank you for sharing your story and welcome to the community, Nergaahl! :)
  5. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

The best way to forget something, simply forget that you forgot something; so in other words, compound-forgetting. A harder method but more enduring in effect, is being aware of one's true reasons to do drugs and embrace such reasons as ways that had helped you grew in being - a personal rite of passage in life. Every action and inaction, is merely a perception each individual believed in and had wished to act or did not act upon; drug addiction is no different.

Preserve in your goals, man.
  6. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Senior Contributor

It's sad to hear that you have to go through the troubles that you experienced during your childhood. But that's what trials are for, to make you stronger. And that's what you are right now. Not everyone can stop smoking and you were able to. Kudos!