An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Abusing animals during withdrawal

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by amethyst, Mar 14, 2016.

1. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I don't know if I am posting this topic in the right section, but I think it fits best in here.
    Today, as I observed my alcoholic neighbor screaming and yelling at his cat and pushing it down the stairs, in one of his withdrawal rages, I couldn't help but think once more how much everyone around addicts suffer.
    I went over and had a chat with him. He started crying, telling me that he loves his cat, but that he can't control his rage at times. He's been sober now for a month but suffers from terrible emotional outbreaks.
    Unfortunately, there aren't any places here that are able to help him. It's a Third World country and dog-eat-dog world.
    I told him about my own experiences with alcohol abuse and how I overcame that demon eventually. I also explained to him that kicking his cat around will only make him feel worse. Not to mention the poor animal. I think one step at a time. I also made "joke", promising him that if I ever see him abusing his cat again, I will take a stick and hit him really hard, because the poor cat can't do it.
    Well, different countries, different measures... perhaps...
  2. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

During the drunken spree, most of the alcoholics are very violent. You say your neighbor abused a cat, however, I have seen alcoholics hitting their children and wives. Violent behavior during the drunken state is very common. After wards when they are sober, they will regret their behavior.
  3. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

Well, there may be more to the story than he told you. Even while relapsing, taking your frustration or anger out on a voiceless creature is really not the way to go.
  4. Geeka

Geeka Member

Different countries, different measures, that's true. But violence is violence and there is no valuable excuse for that.

I do admire the fact, however, that you went up to your neighbour to speak to him rather than turning a blind eye or pretend you didn't hear anything.

My father was a drunk and a wife-beater and I used to wonder when I was little why the neighbours were so quiet.
  5. remnant

remnant Community Champion

Most drug addicts become irritable if they have missed their quota for any period of time and can be stress to live with. Especially if the person concerned is a boss or a superviser somewhere. Addiction tends to be a victimless crime but when withdrawal symptoms kick in, a recovering addicts looks for a target other than self to transfer the negative energy in this case a cat. This is the mechanism of compensation and this negative energy should be harnessed for positive endeavours.
  6. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

Yeah it is natural but there has to be a way out of this. I remember my dad used to get sooooo mad when he would run out of stuff.
  7. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

Damn, I hate hearing about stories like these because the poor animals can't do anything about it. I think addicts need to stay away from pets and if they have pets to begin with, set those up for adoption for the sake of their own well being. Perhaps recommend something like that to him because we don't want to hear about someone killing their cat because they wanted to let their anger out on it.
  8. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I found the best way to talk with people when they are on that destructive road, is to no tell them what they "should" do, but rather what they "could" do to make themselves and everyone around them feel better. Yes, of course humans, animals, insects, plants, objects, you name it, all suffer when there is violence in the air, but putting pressure on a person like that will most likely make him or her explode and cause even more pain. As hard as this sounds, but often the only way is to show that person some compassion and understanding, so that s/he can see where s/he is going wrong. As I said, there are many places in this world where a life doesn't count for much, not to mention the lives of animals. People get killed in the street for a smartphone, that's how it is.