An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Accidents and Alcohol

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by gracer, May 13, 2015.

1. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I remember this one night when a cousin of mine was involved in a motorbike accident after coming from a party. He was so drunk so he wasn't aware that he already took the other road lane. He collided with another motorcycle that night. He only suffered minor injuries to the head but the bad thing is that the other person died on the spot after the accident.

After a few court hearings, the family of the person who died agreed to a settlement with my cousin.

This is a lesson all of us must learn from drinking alcohol. Yes, my cousin may have avoided being sentenced to jail but it still can't remove the fact that someone died because of his drunk driving. How many more lives have to be lost over one night of pleasurable partying with alcohol?
    SunnySkies likes this.
  2. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Active Contributor

Indeed. What a sad end of that case, resulting the death of a person beloved by his family and friends. It's said time and time again that one should not drink and drive, as their decision-making skills are impaired and they are more reckless. But of course, many don't listen to this advice and the law, so they get into these kinds of accidents. This will continue to happen until more education is provided and/or there are more deterrents put into place. After all, there needs to be a change to our culture (particularly teenage culture) before this can be curbed significantly.
    gracer likes this.
  3. gracer

You're right @SunnySkies. Teenagers seem to have a common culture which is totally different from adults. The guy is my cousin but in my own point of view, his life has already been marked by the thought that an innocent person died because of his reckless driving due to drunkenness. We need to properly educate our youth because as time passes by, the situation regarding drinking and driving hasn't changed for the better. Many people still have road accidents because of driving under the influence of alcohol. Not only the law needs to be amended but proper guidance also needs to be constantly implemented on our youth and other alcohol abusers.
  4. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

Such a tragedy. I'm at a loss for words reading this. People shouldn't ever operate a vehicle after consuming alcohol. We need to teach that even 1 drink is to many to drive.
    gracer likes this.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Countless people everyday still lose their lives to drink drivers. The campaigns don't seem to make a difference, so I think the only thing that might is stricter punishments. And I mean, strict like a 10 year or even in some circumstances lifetime driving ban.

If you can't be trusted to not drink and drive once in your life, you'll probably end up doing it again.
    gracer likes this.
  6. gracer

I do agree to the driving ban you mentioned @pwarbi. Unless the transportation offices would add a new policy to their requirements like for example a minimum of 5 years driving ban with regular monitoring of the driver if indeed he/she has stopped drinking alcohol. The burden would be on the specific licensing departments though because they would have to add more policies and hire additional staff to do the task.
    pwarbi likes this.
  7. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While it might be tricky to implement, and it would involve a lot of new policies being brought in, I think compare that to the amount of lives that it might save, there shouldn't really be a question as to IF they do it or not, it should be more like WHEN?
    gracer likes this.
  8. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

I think alcohol is the leading cause of road fatalities worldwide. I even saw a video recently on social media of a car with four grown men and all were drinking including the driver who was driving with one hand while the other hand held the cup with the alcohol. A guy was talking in the video and he was drunk as a bat.
    gracer likes this.
  9. thomas carty

thomas carty Member

This is one of the reasons that I have stopped drinking alcohol I have seen to many people die from things like this and it leaves the other families to mourn the lost of a love one all because you were not responsible enough and your thought that in order for you to have a good time that you need to drink yourself to a state that you are not even able to tell what is happening around you. I just think that this is something that is really sad and I really feel bad for the other family.
    gracer likes this.
  10. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Tragedies like these are the reason I’ve never driven if I’d had so much as a drop of alcohol. I would feel far too guilty, like I was a marked woman as stated previously, if I knew I was the cause of someone else dying or being seriously injured, just because I chose to make a poor decision. I also think stricter punishments are in order. They may be difficult to implement, and it probably wouldn’t stop some people, but in terms of potential lives saved it could be well worth it.
    gracer likes this.
  11. gracer

Good point. That is a critical question needing an immediate answer because if authorities don't act NOW and take drunk driving more seriously, more accidents and more lives will be lost because of it. If some people can't help but drink and drive then it's time to put a stop into it by ammending the law, for other people's protection and theirs as well.
  12. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Active Contributor

Yep, this is also one of the reasons why I never have drunk any alcohol. The other reasons are that my parents have repeatedly taught me not to drink it, and also it saves the household money in the long run. Yeah, I think we in the western world need to enforce stricter punishments as well. Though, that'll require a cultural shift to do so.
    gracer likes this.
  13. gracer

@Rowe992 Imagine how some people could even boast about driving with alcohol. And they even had the guts to post their video in public. Sometimes people could really get so irresponsible just because they want to have a good time. I just hope those people don't end up hurting themselves and other people in the long run.

@thomas carty It's really sad to know that innocent people fall as victims of road accidents that aren't their fault at all. I also watched a news this month about 4 elderly people who died of a fatal car crash in California after colliding with an extremely fast car which also took their side of the road. The driver of the other car was a young woman who was believed to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs. It was truly a sad ending for those 4 people who had to die that way.

@CallipygianGamine I wish there were more people like you who think first before trying to drive after drinking. If only all the people who drive even when they're drunk would listen to their conscience first then maybe we won't even be talking about the tragedies of drunk driving now.
  14. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Goodness...that's a tragic story, for both your family and theirs. I can't imagine the burden your cousin must carry with knowing what the use of alcohol caused, and the other family losing someone. If anything though it's a real indicator about the dangers of alcohol. So often I feel like the dangers of alcohol are completely ignored by society -- if you don't drink you're often not part of the group, not included, not seen as taking part! It's a hard societal change that needs to be made, to re-frame alcohol abuse as dangerous as any drug out there.
    gracer likes this.
  15. Charli

Charli Community Champion

That's unfortunate but it is reality and it happens everyday. I think the problem is most people are often too arrogant to think it will ever happen to them. I hope your cousin has woken up from his old ways and can now continue with his life healthily.
    gracer likes this.
  16. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I reckon it can be heartbreaking when a life is taken when a person get's behind the wheel and friends or family should stop the person from driving as when a life is gone than many broken families will be left behind and the why or what could I have done questions willl be asked by everyone. Society needs to change the view that, alcohol is normal and also some men may view it as manly thing to drive and will make it home but that does not happen all the time and consequences will happen due to it. I reckon, people need to wake up as well and see that driving under the influence is not a good thing and no good will come from it and need to stop doing it.
    gracer likes this.
  17. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

It amazes me how a majority of people being aware of the "harms" of drunk driving, still drink and drive. Ignoring everything they know. Alcohol ought to be banned. I know it's hard to implement but that's the only way out of this mess.
    gracer likes this.
  18. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Given the risk factor, in my country we're not allowed to drive any vehicle if we drink even a little shot of whiskey, which I completely agree! You never know how people react whilst driving, and simply punishing everyone for the minority seems the only good resort in this case, I'd say.
    gracer likes this.
  19. henry

henry Community Champion

What's weird about these cases is that sometimes the person who commited the crime, instead of quitting alcohol, starts drinking even more to forget it ever hapenned. It's like kids who grew up with a drunk parent; Instead of staying away from alcohol, because they've seen what it can do, they become alcoholics. Or like that girl in the Forrest Gump movie. Her father used to rape her when young, so, instead of not wanting to have sex, she rolled around with any guy she could find, except Forrest.
    gracer likes this.
  20. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

I never understood that part before. But now with this analogy, I do.
    henry likes this.