An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Accountability?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Rainman, Jun 27, 2015.

1. serenity

serenity Community Champion

@LilAnn, You do have a point when we are talking about people who are still clean and they haven't tried drugs yet. But the ones I'm referring to are those drug users that are already hardcore and are dependent on it and they can't live without it. I don't think such people care how others view them.
    LilAnn likes this.
  2. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

I'm sorry! I took it the wrong way. And you're absolutely right. One girl told me she was a huge pill head. And the entire time she never felt bad for stealing and lying. She does now that she's cleaned up. But when she was on the drugs she felt like she deserved the money. she wouldn't have had to steal it if they had loaned it to her.
  3. serenity

@LilAnn, It's ok, no harm done at all. Being addicted to drugs is such a dangerous thing, isn't it? They will do anything just to get their "required dosage". I remember reading another member's post here that she would still have chosen drugs over food even if she hasn't eaten for that day.
  4. LilAnn

I can't imagine allowing something to have control over my life. I have no choice but to breath, eat, and sleep. And those are already inconvenient at times.
  5. serenity

I get what you mean, lol. When the going gets tough, it's quite a hassle to keep living.
    I don't believe there is a hell though, so people who commit suicide don't "burn" in the afterlife.
  6. LilAnn

What I believe is the last few seconds of your life, after you pull the trigger actually is your eternity. Its all you will ever experience from that moment. Feeling the way you did when you pulled that trigger is the last thing you will ever feel.
  7. serenity

That's an interesting belief. So you think that people who commit suicide suffer for eternity?
  8. LilAnn

yes, but their own personal eternity-- or basically the last few moments before complete and overall death and consciousness.

Basically, eternity means nothing happens afterward, doesn't it? I suspect its a lot like a dream. You can run through 20 years in you dreams but it feels turns out the real time for 3 minutes
  9. LinB

LinB Senior Contributor

I do understand what you're saying. Being accountable means that one has to submit at times to someone else. I think it is the very nature of us human beings to rebel and so it really takes a degree of obedience and submission to listen to the advice or counsel of someone else. Definitely though, accountability is necessary and there must be someone around who can speak some sense into us when we become wayward.
  10. serenity

@LilAnn, As for me, I read that if you caused pain, whether physical or emotional to other people while you're still alive, then you will get to feel it as well when you have your "life review" as a soul. Maybe suicide counts too, since it's considered as a sin. I believe in reincarnation though, so we will pay our "dues" in the next incarnation.
  11. LilAnn

I imagine those last few moments before the permanent lack of consciousness you would not believe a lot of things you remember. Every mean thing you have ever done, being shoved in your face to think about, knowing you will never be able to apologize or make it up to somebody is hell. The last few moments if you have tried to be a good person thats what you're going to remember. nAnd that's heaven.
  12. serenity

Well, the survivors of near death experiences say that dying feels so wonderful, and the feeling that they felt in the afterlife was so good that they never want to come back here on Earth, but they had to, since their mission here wasn't complete yet. So that's what I'd like to think. I hope that in the afterlife there won't be any more pain for all good people.
  13. LilAnn

Thats what I hope for, too. My biggest question is who determines what is considered "good"? Every religion has a different idea and definition of good and bad.
  14. serenity

@LilAnn, I think the 10 commandments is the basis of how things are judged as good or bad, but when I think about the Muslims that can have up to 4 wives, it gets confusing indeed. But the afterlife is a different world where we aren't separated by race, religion, etc. so there is less judgement there. You might want to read these links about suicide and life after death:

http://www.erinpavlina.com/blog/2006/05/what-happens-when-you-die/

http://www.erinpavlina.com/blog/2007/08/the-spiritual-consequences-of-suicide/
  15. LilAnn

the 10 commandments applies for the most part, but even those can be interpreted different by different people. One of the most diversely interpreted out of the 10 is thou shall not kill. Is it really killing thats the sin, or is it murder they're referring to. I know what I believe, but everyone else is going to have their specific ideas of what exactly it means, and which exceptions are allowed. What if the Hindu are right, and eating beef damns us to hell?
  16. serenity

@LilAnn, Of course I find that absurd, but we have to respect other people's beliefs. That's why it's comforting to know that there's no hell. It makes those rules that don't make sense not punishable. Killing is also a big mystery. I doubt the soldiers are all going to hell because they killed while at war.
    LilAnn likes this.
  17. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Definitely, but sometimes can also add stress! A lot of it! Let's take a more current example of myself. My family doctor said she'd be tracking my weight, so every time I go there I need to weigh myself. She is going to do it, it does stress me a bit, but I guess this will make me think twice before eating certain things ;) Just knowing those numbers might go up is scary enough. So yes, being accountable to someone else can either make you or break you, depending on how much you want to get better.
  18. LilAnn

I would hope not. But I guess that depends on who you ask. If the hippies in the 60s and 70s were christian, they would probably claim the "baby killers" in Vietnam would burn in hell. When the bible was written they left SO MUCH room for interpretation, that we have what seems like billions of different church denominations that interpreting the same book in a billion different ways. Other than infants, I don't know anyone who has their golden ticket.
  19. LilAnn

It makes it a lot easier for me to say no when certain people may find out about it. I think thats a big part of respect... not wanting to disappoint that person. When people love someone, they tend to want nothing more than for that person to look at them and see something wonderful, rather than weak. Its different with doctor's though, isn't it? It isn't about respect, for me. Its about me not wanting to get verbally spanked and sent on my way.
  20. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

@LilAnn I hope it's working that way for my fiance, I feel I am somehow managing he is accountable to me by asking him how many cigarettes he has had that day. I don't ask on a daily basis because I don't want to overwhelm him, but I ask often enough :) I like to think he is being honest, of course, and thinks twice before smoking a 6th cigarette because that might be the day i ask him. I want to believe in him.

As for my doctor, she is cool. She doesn't nag, but my neurosurgeon does. I dread seeing the new one... I'm sure I will be nagged. Most doctors do that, you know? I want to finish med school next years... I'll not be a doctor like that! If a patient is overweight I'll just kindly explain how that extra weight might be related to their symptoms and refer them to a nutritionist.