An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Adderall and Alcohol

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Truxun, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Truxun

Truxun Member

I was reading the latest about Amanda Bynes and her DUI arrest for Alcohol and Adderall. I will say from experience that mixing alcohol and amphetamines is nothing to mess around with kids. This one especially is a killer.
  2. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

You're absolutely right. Adderall is a lot more dangerous than most people think, and it is just another amphetamine. In fact, I remember reading that it's more addictive than a number of illegal drugs, which most people with a prescription don't even think about. It doesn't help that far more people receive prescriptions for the drug than actually need one.

When you mix it with alcohol, you're just asking for trouble. People die from that potent mixture on a regular basis. Heck, people die from taking Adderall because they suffer an episode from the side effects. It's not the most common result, but it happens often enough to where it's a problem.
  3. Megalinoxo

Megalinoxo Member

I agree with you all. Combining adderall and alcohol can lead to horrible outcomes. Combing drugs in general should be stayed away from.

Many people think adderall is "safe" because it is a prescription drug. Being ADD, I understand how unsafe the drug can actually be. In college I would have friends begging me for adderall in order to stay up and party longer. I always advised against this because I know how unsafe it is. Even taking adderall for studying purposes should be avoided. Adderall is a real drug with harsh consequences.
  4. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Senior Contributor

It's sad that people experiment with all this, knowing how unsafe it might be. The abuse of adderall is already harmful, more so that she mixed it with alcohol. She should get some help, in my opinion.
  5. yari1123

yari1123 Member

Combining any drugs can be lethal, as we have seen on TV time and time again; not just with Bynes. Mixing drugs with alcohol can severely impair judgment leading to catastrophic consequences for the user and many other times also for innocent people/ bystanders. In my opinion, medical professionals should conduct more substance abuse screens before prescribing certain medications.
  6. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

Amanda Bynes is one of those actresses like with Lindsay Lohan has been in trouble with drugs. I feel really bad for Amanda using both Adderall and alcohol is no friendly mix.
  7. cameronpalte

cameronpalte Active Contributor

There is a simple way to share with people who think adderall is ok for you the seriousness of it as a drug. And that is the DEA rates drugs on a schedule from V to I (with I being the most dangerous). Adderall is Schedule II.

Other drugs in this category include:
    Opium
    Morphine
    Cocaine
    Methadone

and plenty others: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Schedule_II_drugs_(US)
  8. Allen24

Allen24 Active Contributor

Combining alcohol and drugs is terrible for your health and liver. It is scary how common this is among fellow students. I see it happen all of the time. I have no interest in ever trying any type of drug.
  9. jenbeau90

jenbeau90 Member

You should never mix drugs, but mixing a stimulant with a depressant is especially unsafe. They cancel each other out so you can't monitor yourself as well. The two together makes it so much easier to overdose.
  10. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Great combo if you want to end up dead! Otherwise I wouldn't be mixing this under any other circumstances. This combo might be lethal and people should not "try it out" just for fun.
  11. prey

prey Member

Adderall is banned in my country, not nationwide, but in certain areas, because of its negative effects upon humans.