An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Adderall Memory Loss

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by articulatemindz, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Is the information you learn while you are on Adderall forgotten after you are off the drug for quite some time?
  2. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Senior Contributor

That is an interesting question. Adderall usually improves concentration if taken in moderation. But if it's being abused, it can increase anxiety, which might cause some memory issues. But usually, these memory issues are just short-term and random.
    articulatemindz and AFKATafcar like this.
  3. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

As far as I know, you shouldn't simply forget information that you learned while taking Adderall. While on the drug, I believe you can have rare episodes where you won't remember certain events completely. I'm not sure, though. It wouldn't surprise me if you could suffer minor memory loss from taking Adderall or getting off it.
  4. vennybunny

vennybunny Member

If someone is experiencing memory loss, I would strongly suggest seeking professional help. :)
  5. cameronpalte

cameronpalte Active Contributor

Adderall can help you with concentration which while used with studying can teach you more things. However, Adderall has damaging effects on your brain - especially over the long term as your brain gets more and more used to it. You won't forget information you learned but getting off of it could result in you having a damaged brain.
  6. Like what exactly do you mean by damage. Could you have long term memory loss or a change in personality?
  7. jenbeau90

jenbeau90 Member

I've never heard of memory loss occurring due to Adderall use. Of course, all drugs effect different brains differently, so I guess it's a possibility.
  8. sarahxalex

sarahxalex Member

Many of my friends are on Adderal and I have never heard of losing memory after you're not on it. I have heard it could make studying habits different and make it even harder to focus once you're not on it but never memory loss. Although I do not take it and I have never done extensive research on it. I do know however that it isn't good for the brain and can result in long term affects more than short term so I would just be careful while taking it.
  9. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

That is a good question how would Adderall affect your memory? I do not think Adderall would generally affect your memory after taking the pill. I would think that it affects your focus more than memory.
  10. My personal experience with this drug is that while I'm on it my ability to access bits of information is improved drastically. This means that when you are off the drug, the bits of information may be harder to access. Which may or may not be accounted as memory loss.
  11. I find it much easier to remember certain things when on adderall. I feel it enables my brain to function at a higher level for long periods of time.