An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Adderall or Concerta?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by catherine_sky, Jan 6, 2015.

1. catherine_sky

catherine_sky Member

It seems you guys are more like to have Adderall prescribed than over here in UK where we are more like to see Concerta prescribed. There is some interesting thoughts on here about the differences. Does anyone else take Concerta or Concerta XL? Anyone having issues with this particular medication?
  2. blur92

blur92 Senior Contributor

I've never taken Concerta or Concerta XL. I do not know much about it at all. I'm in the US and prescribed Adderall. I have also been on Vyvanse and Ritalin. I'm curious. Is there an abuse problem in the UK with Concerta?
  3. catherine_sky

catherine_sky Member

Im not sure if there is an abuse issue particularly, although Im sure that people will use this in the same manner as all the other medications prescribed for ADHD/ADD etc. I do believe that they work differently in the body system but overall they all seem to be prescribed for the same reasons. I have not really heard of Adderall being prescribed here in UK but on these Forums there does seem to be an issue with this drug being misused so was wondering that whether the more used version here in the UK was also presenting with similar issues.
  4. blur92

blur92 Senior Contributor

Adderall is notorious for being misused in the US. It is especially popular among college students. They abuse it for finals, midterms, and the like. Instead of being prescribed a lower dosage and gradually building up from there, they start off with a high dosage that they had bought off someone they know. Adderall is also abused for partying since it is a stimulant. It keeps people awake by decreasing the drowsiness of alcohol or marijuana. I am curious whether Concerta plays this role in the UK.
  5. HugsNotDrugs

HugsNotDrugs Active Contributor

Concerta is extended release Ritalin. Usually only children get prescribed Ritalin in the US.

The reason you don't see much of an adderall problem in the UK is that it is only legally prescribed in North America. So most of the "adderall" sold over there is actually street amphetamines, sometimes cut with other drugs to make you feel "high", that people try to make look like prescription pills.

I can see how people over there would prefer the consistency of Ritalin to the who-knows-what-it-is of street amphetamines.
  6. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

HugsNotDrugs is right, Adderall is not licenced as a prescription medication in the UK. Ritalin, Concert and Strattera are prescribed here for ADHD but they are virtually impossible to get hold of on the black market. Of course you can order them online, along with Adderall, but you can't be certain of the quality. The prohibitive price means that most people in the UK who wish to use stimulants stick to "speed".
  7. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Another nervous system stimulant for ADHD. I don't get it. Sorry but I don't trust it. "Problem, solution...." They make the problem and then offer the solution to make money. It's just amazing.
    becca603 likes this.