An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Adderall useful for weightloss?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by ExpertAdvice, Nov 14, 2014.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdvice Active Contributor

I'm not so sure about this as I'm not sure I read correctly but I read an article (which I can't find again) and it is reported that this drug is useful for aiding in weight loss. (I think) so, has anyone else read this? and can someone testify to this?
  2. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

Honestly, I don't think it matters if Adderall can aid in weight loss because it's been proven to be a dangerous drug that's commonly abused. If you start advertising that it's good for weight loss, then you open up even more people to this potentially addictive drug, and nobody NEEDS to lose weight using a drug like this. I hope it doesn't aid in weight loss for that very reason. If a person truly needs Adderall and it helps them without nasty side effects, then that's fine, but too many people take Adderall and don't necessarily need it.
  3. sammy

sammy Active Contributor

I wouldn't recommend taking Adderall for weight loss and really expect it to be effective.Short term, yes, it can does diminish appetite but eventually once your body adjusts, then your appetite returns.
  4. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

Stimulant drugs can have that effect, but it is often short term. The problem, besides side effects and possible addiction of course, is that the body adjusts to it and the effects will diminish. It's kind of like how your first cup of coffee probably did a whole lot more for you than a cup of coffee does after drinking coffee regularly for months or years.
  5. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

There are a lot of healthier ways in which you could lose weight, I wouldn't recommend Adderall for that to anyone, you could simply go to a gym, purchase a membership and adjust your diet. You don't need this drug in order to lose weight, believe me you can do it naturally.
  6. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

Adderal may suppress your appetite but there are much better ways that are sustainable in the long term. Losing weight and keeping it off means a lifestyle change. You should do a bit of research on metabolic rates and try to determine yours and start cutting calories accordingly. I know it's boring and takes effort but it really is the only healthy way.
  7. That can be a side effect of it, yes, as with any stimulant. I lost over 20 pounds on it which I thought was wonderful at the time but looking back at pictures from when I was taking it I looked absolutely awful. I was sickly looking and barely ate. Coffee and gas station junk made up the majority of my diet. I just gave birth in September and was briefly tempted to start taking it again until I remembered the hell that my life was because of it.
  8. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

All the people who I have talked to who have struggled with Adderall have either experienced extreme weight loss or extreme weight gain, and I think it all has to do with the lack of sleep that they are getting. Either way, it isn't healthy at all. If you want to use something that will give you energy to workout, look up some pre-workout supplements and protein powders.
  9. downsouth

downsouth Active Contributor

This one is a no brainer. Manage your diet and exercise and lose weight the right way. And if you want to take drugs to lose weight why Adderall ? That is not its purpose. There are a ton of drugs out there that are solely taken for weight loss and have proven to be effective.
  10. fire421

fire421 Member

I doubt that's true. It is a dangerous drug. You shouldn't use it unless it's prescribed to you by your doctor.
  11. blur92

blur92 Senior Contributor

It does cause weight loss. Your appetite is virtually gone when you are first on it. However, when you take breaks from it you appetite returns mightier than ever. Over the past few years I set myself up for a trend of yoyo dieting because of it. I would not recommend using Adderall as a weight loss solution. Your metabolism will likely get ruined, and it's difficult to fix. It has only been several months since I finally fixed mine, but that was after a long time.
  12. timelord731

timelord731 Senior Contributor

I lost ten pounds in a five days before I had to stop taking Adderall. My family and doctors were so worried by the rapid weight loss that I was hospitalized and put on fluids before I could return to school. It was truly and awful experience and don't think I'll be trying Adderall again any time soon.
  13. blur92

Wow. Were you purposely trying to lose weight or could you not force yourself to eat anything? I know Adderall kills the appetite, but most of the time I could force myself to eat if I needed to.
  14. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Even if Adderall can make a difference in one's weight, to reduce weight isn't its main purpose, right? The drug was created to curb cravings, thus appetite is affected in the process. Still, the problem with this kind of drug is that like many other synthetic drugs, it has side effects. You can't take it as you see fit just because it helps you lose weight. Pursuing this direction will divert one's attention from the reason the drug was taken in the first place.
    blur92 likes this.
  15. blur92

Exactly. This is often why many drugs start to be abused. They have a desired effect, and people start to not take it as originally directed.
  16. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

Yes it can help you loose weight but should you try loosing weight by using it? No! I wouldn't recommend that anyone go that route because like most of the poster's have stated this is actually an addictive drug and it would cause more harm than good...not to mention that the weight loss would be short term and a very unhealthy. There is also that chance of the side effects being too dire.
  17. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I don't think it would be a good idea to use this for weight loss as taking any tablet or drug may cause a huge decrease or cause you to feel more hungry than usual which can be a bad thing. A person may have good ideas but the costs will start to take affect like where will the money come from and a person may resort to robbery or from their own house to fuel their lifestyle. It may help you out in the early stages but, if you stop taking it than it may bring the weight back and be like the nutty professor movie where he takes the tablets which helps keep the weight down so in affect he was not losing weight just hiding it in the slimmer body.