An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addicted at 30???

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by jbbarn, Mar 21, 2015.

1. jbbarn

jbbarn Active Contributor

I have a friend who is really struggling with her son. He became an addict to pain medications at the age of 30. This guy has absolutely no background of drug or alcohol abuse. He had a surgical procedure and his doctor gave him a controlled substance for pain management. Now he is hooked, and that's all he seems to care about! His wife has left him, and he has moved in with his mother. She is watching him destroy himself! Why do doctors prescribe cancer-strength pain meds for minor surgeries?
    kjonesm1 likes this.
  2. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

My aunt is addicted and so was one of my good friends from college. They were intelligent women who did not have addictions in the past. They were put on pain killers at the ages of 30 and 50 for minor surgeries and they were hooked within a few months. They would get angry if they didn't get their pills.
  3. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

You'd be surprised, but this occurrence is quite common especially in developed countries where doctors prescribe antibiotics and painkillers to patients like their giving out candy or something. Sorry for the hyperbole but this is the truth of the matter. The first recourse usually is to inform the prescribing doctor and ask them for an alternative. If they don't think it's important, leave. Ask for a second opinion.
  4. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

I don't think age has anything to do with addiction. You could become an addict in your 50s, 60s etc. The crux of the matter here is that, apparently, the son doesn't realize the rut he's in. Perhaps if he was persuaded that his life is going downhill he could have a revelation and purge himself. Unless he willingly agrees to detoxify, the situation is unlikely to meliorate in the near future. I hope he sees the light.
  5. jbbarn

jbbarn Active Contributor

They really do hand them out like candy! When my son had dental surgery for wisdom teeth removal, his dentist prescribede him oxycodone! I just said No thanks! He did just fine with tylenol!
  6. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

There's something awfully wrong with today's medical practices. Synthetic drugs do more damage than natural medicine but still doctors avoid recommending this type of medication. Anyhow, it doesn't matter how old your friend is. Addiction chooses no age. It's also a sad fact that not everyone's going to stick with you when you're in a bind. I hope you will still support your friend until he recovers. Go with him during consultations and speak on his behalf. Being addicted, it may be difficult for him to say what's really on his mind.
  7. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

This is the biggest drug epidemic in the country. Its absolutely appalling that doctors prescribe these highly addictive medications without enough thought. A friend of mine had back pains and without looking too far into it the doctor prescribed her four different pain/muscle relaxers. Fortunately she was smart enough to not go fill the prescription.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

On the whole I'd like to think that doctors these days are a lot more cautious when it comes to handing out medication, due to a lot of stories recently about people getting hooked on prescription medication.
    I'd imagine there are a lot of factors involved though when a GP is deciding what course of action to take?
  9. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Sadly, this is how many people become addicted to pain medications. Many people become addicted due to surgical operations, and then there is no turning back. It is also extremely difficult to get away from those drugs, since they are everywhere. I wish the best to your friend.
  10. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I'm glad that someone else sees this. Modern medicine is a terrible mixture of brilliance and evilness. The breakthroughs are brilliant, but some of the practices are just immoral.
  11. downsouth

downsouth Active Contributor

Agree completely. Pain meds are too widely prescribed. I had a friend who became addicted to Vicodin after he had 4 teeth pulled out during one visit to the dentist.
  12. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

When it's like that we have to ask who can we trust if we can't trust our doctors? It wasn't until coming here that I realised how addictive and dangerous pain killers can be. I guess I never really paid attention. This is a real eye opener/ I hope things work out well with your friend and her son. It's sad on so many levels.
  13. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

The first time becoming addicted to something is one of the biggest hurdles imo, because you have no context to understand your addiction against in the first place. You may not fully understand the extent of your addiction in the first place. My drinking addiction, for example, definitely crept up on me slowly. I was a recreational drinker for a good 10 years without any problems at all, then within about a years time I started drinking very very heavily and thing quickly got out of control.

The thing with pain meds is you really don't need to take them as prescribed - but rather as needed instead. If you're not really in that much pain, there is no sense in medicating yourself up that much and putting yourself at a greater risk of dependency like that.

Although I've had my own bouts with cocaine, ecstasy and other drugs - somehow I've managed to avoid the whole painkiller thing. When I get prescription meds such as cough syrup with a bunch of codiene in it, I don't even take most of it unless I'm in real pain. Same goes for pain killer tablets/pills if I need to get a surgery done - I only take some if I really need them.
  14. Pinoy Jade

Pinoy Jade Active Contributor

I guess the way the hospital or the medicines are not perfect. Though having those big negative effects are pretty bad. I just hope everything would go well to your friend
  15. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I guess the doctors don't really care that much for their patients, and they just want to prescribe them something as fast as possible, and then it's on to the next patient. I think that patients should be more discerning when taking some prescribed medicine and they should do their research first so that they can avoid the possibility of being addicted to it. I hope your friend's son can get weaned from that stuff eventually.
  16. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

I had a friend who overdosed herself on pain meds but I certainly hope that she is not addicted to it. I would try to find a way to help him out before something heads for the worst! :(
  17. 6up

6up Community Champion

Everybody thinks that the doctor is always right. Doctors must be keen while prescribing addictive drugs - which they must be understanding. I think the patient needs counselling because the pain has troubled them and they can not find any other helping option. By getting away with the pain, patient then feels well, which confuses him making it difficult for the patient to think about addiction.
  18. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I wasn't aware pain killers have the ability to temporarily relieve psychological pain too. As far as I know, it's only taken to alleviate physical pain for a few hours. How unfortunate that some people don't want to own up to their pain. Is it that painful to withstand pain, I wonder? Unless I'm on a trip or in a place where I can't afford to endure physical pain, I take one or two pain killers but that's that. I guess it all boils down to psychological well-being. A psychologically stable person wouldn't be so extreme when it comes to handling pain.
  19. anne16

anne16 Active Contributor

I am not good in handling pain, almost to a point of being a cry baby. That is why whenever I have headache or I had a tooth extraction, I would always take pain relievers. I haven't realize that I could be addicted to it. Thankfully, being in this forum opens my eye to that possibility and that being aware would help me keep away from this danger.
  20. lgdg090596

lgdg090596 Senior Contributor

Damn. I'm sorry to hear that. I hope he recovers from that addiction.