An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addicted insomniacs

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by remnant, Apr 20, 2016.

1. remnant

remnant Community Champion

Some insomniacs developed the condition as a result on overreliance on sleep inducing drugs like Piriton which are sold over the counter. These drugs are very cheap and there is the risk of a patient taking an overdose as their effects are not immediate. Some are found comatose deep into the next day while others look intent on committing slow suicide in a bid to escape from reality. They quickly become addicted and can't stop using them.
  2. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

I totally agree with you. Over the counter drugs can have very negative effect on people. I remember when my mother used to have insomnia and depression because of problems with my Dad, she would just go to a pharmacy and explain what the problem was and they would give her drugs of course including Piriton and Valium.

She did get addicted to them for a couple of years, but soon got off the prescription drugs and embraced God.
  3. ChristianRO

ChristianRO Member

I think pharma drugs are sometimes more dangerous than illicit drugs. Most people don't even know what side effects a drug could have and they only think about how that drug will solve everything in their lives.

In my opinion, this mentality should change. There's no special pill that solves any disease. The regular schedule matters , the alimentation matters and also the mindset.
  4. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I take a tab of dipenhydramine to help me deal with sleep issues. I don't think taking that little makes me an "addict" but going without it does bother me, and my sleep suffers. I have tried lots of things to help me sleep natural unnatural, exercise, meditation etc. Now that I am on a fairly regular sleep schedule and have no major distractions it seems to help me a lot to take that.
  5. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I agree with you, and the saddest thing about this is that a lot of people use them regularly and they are well perceived socially because of that, It's not seen as a dangerous and/or addictive thing.
    The accesibility that a lot of people have to them (especially youngest people) is concerning.
  6. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

Sedating antihistamines, although safe when taken at their prescribed doses, can present a risk of accidental overdose if people aren't careful. They're not as bad as paracetamol, which has a very narrow therapeutic window, but some people aren't even aware that these drugs can be fatal. Thank you for this post, as it might warn someone who is not aware of just how dangerous these substances are.
  7. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

I've never believed that over the counter drugs could ever be safe. Of course, if they're used as prescribed they can be quite safe, but there's always a danger with some folks that they won't follow with the correct procedures of use.

Sleep inducing drugs have always been a bit of an enigma for me, as I've never tried them out since I've never suffered from sleep problems.